Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

original

:D

Far more satisfying to take less pips for more wonga a lesson that's taken me a couple of extra years to discover :)

This is exactly where i have found my footing tbh, i want between 10 and 30 points a day now with higher amounts per point...

Ok i think this will make an interesting topic as views will vary quite a bit.... The question i'd like to ask you all is this:

In your opinion what performance percentage level would a trader have to achieve each month to be called an exceptional trader?

Would it be a minimum of 5%? 10%? 20%? 50%+?... What do you think would be the benchmark pcm % to be classed as 'exceptional'

First ov all, wot type ov trader are u on abowt? The nonce in an office wiv a degree, wrapped up in very expensif cotton wool. Or, the spread betting freak gambler!!?

Well they vary so why don't you describe what you think is an exceptional trader

And what you would expect their performance levels to be

In the OP it said, over a month what would you say is exceptional... eg a %

Pete, do you mind if i ask what % a 10 point win would account for in normal circumstances?

So say if you gained 10 points would it be 0.25% or 1% etc... thanks :)

Points or pips don't mean anything by themselves. It depends on how much per point or pip you are trading.

Peter

Yes i understand this Pete, but i presume you trade the same size with each trade?

Generally, yes. I trade a regular position and if the market is unusually volatile then I use a 1/2 position to limit risk a little.

In answer to your question, a regular position with a 10 pip win would be about .8% of acct.
From a risk standpoint, 10 losses in a row at an average loss of 10 pips each would represent about 8%.

For the record I don't compound anything. I remove profits every so often. What good is it to make money if you don't use it!

Peter

Hey T_D, long time no see. People have been talking about you - one of your students was a naughty boy apparently. :D

Anyway, some noob is looking for a mentor and is desperate to hear something good about you so he can give you a ton of fahzoles. Get over there and fill yer boots pal - if he's not a plant he's an absolute helmet, ripe for the plucking. If he is genuine someone's going to strip his roll for him, it may as well be you, at least you've contributed something useful to this site.

Here's the thread:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/129704-recommend-me-mentor.html

(y)

Interesting Barclay's Rankings. These are professional money managers and in both categories the top 10 contains funds that are not positive for the year. Once again reinforces my very low opinion of "professional" traders and money managers. Sure they trade size I could only dream about but that's no excuse to be in the negative.

Peter

Hey T_D, long time no see. People have been talking about you - one of your students was a naughty boy apparently. :D

Anyway, some noob is looking for a mentor and is desperate to hear something good about you so he can give you a ton of fahzoles. Get over there and fill yer boots pal - if he's not a plant he's an absolute helmet, ripe for the plucking. If he is genuine someone's going to strip his roll for him, it may as well be you, at least you've contributed something useful to this site.

Here's the thread:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/129704-recommend-me-mentor.html

(y)

Hey Paz,

Yes I glanced over that. I see Black Swan has the wrong end of the stick as usual and is going on about some 30k deposit which is utter drivel. Not sure he's learnt how to read an account statement yet!

LOL to the comment on the "noob". He's not likely to read much good around here is he? It's all speculation, lulz and no statistics. Come to think of it, isn't that why so many lose?

Good trading to you :)