Performance Level Of An Exceptional Trader

I tried falling down seven times and getting up eight and I lost count.

Kinda spacey…

Tried it several times.

I tried starting off from a falling down position and that works OK on the up/down count if you stop at the right place, but rather sets the expectation for failure from the outset.

I’ll persevere with this one as it’s been transliterated from ancient Kanji from the Gods of Mt. Fuji so there’s something to learn I’m sure.

It’s a koan – that’s it.

The sound of one clown flapping.

Or is that getting too Sufi?

IMO consistency is the feature of truly successful trader (and those are rare and exceptional by nature of the profession :) ).

One making 20% a year average for 40 years looks better professional to me than one making 1000% one year and blowing up the next.

Return needs to be put into context - a risk adusted performance measure (RAPM).

Firstly, if you're trading equities then the first thing you'd look at is how much you make in excess of the appropriate index (MSCI, FTSE, etc.).

Secondly, if you beat the benchmark, it needs to be put in context of the risks you take - volatility, skew and kurtosis.

The Sharpe ratio is one summary measure, whilst the Sortino ratio is a modified Sharpe which looks at the semi-variance of returns. The semi-variance says that volatility on your losing trades matters far more than on the winners.

Finally, you can take a quantile approach such as value-at-risk which, like drawdown, emphasises the tail risks you are taking to generate those seemingly fantastic returns.

I've just seen something that was gob smacking, a day trader take 500 points today

The individual is in fact a member of this site but thats all i'm allowed to say

I've just seen something that was gob smacking, a day trader take 500 points today

The individual is in fact a member of this site but thats all i'm allowed to say
Well, I'll be damned... Where do I send my millions, so that he/she can trade them for me?

Lol Doomberg!
No need to be so coy. Either spill the beans or keep stumm! Anyway, I assume you're talking about JahDave?
Tim.

Lol Doomberg!
No need to be so coy. Either spill the beans or keep stumm! Anyway, I assume you're talking about JahDave?
Tim.

No its not JahDave tim, he does more long term trades like days or even weeks

And i'm not being funny but i have been told not to mention stuff like that, hope you understand

I remember during the internet boom everyone I knew had made lots of money from tec stocks. They all belived they were great traders . Then..BANG!! it all went in a flash. WHat the hell happened?

The point is during that phase evryone wasmaking money because the markets just kept going up and up. Some got out with profits others gave it all back.

Would anyone of them who banked tens of thousands before the crash be called exceptional? I doubt it. What about all the traders here who make great returns during a trend only to give most of it back during the range ? They may have ten winning trades and two losers that take it all away.

Only consistency with your results will show your performance level. Consistency will demonstrate that you are fully aware,and in control of what you are doing.

Its always the ones who are in control and fully aware that perform at a higher level. Self mastery in some form or other is a trait that is visible in all high peroformers.

I remember during the internet boom everyone I knew had made lots of money from tec stocks. They all belived they were great traders . Then..BANG!! it all went in a flash. WHat the hell happened?

The point is during that phase evryone wasmaking money because the markets just kept going up and up. Some got out with profits others gave it all back.

I remember hearing a story about a normal guy who turned of his 30k life savings in to 2 mil in the .Com boom,
Only to loose all of it when the bubble popped and then had to get a normal job :eek: :cry:

Will the same thing happen with Gold? I know a few people who have made a bit of money in Gold and they're always saying "In a couple years I'll be able to buy a house without a mortgage" and all that as if they are expert traders/investors. Will it crash at some point in the future?

I hope so, purely because I work hard to keep the money I have yet other people start talking about buying houses with all their "hard-earned" profits!

I guess it's the old cliche... anyone can make money, it's keeping it that's hard to do.

100% increase on a good week is totally possible.
As an example, I am up +27% right now with 7 positions open, risking 1% on each position and the week is still going. If I upped each position to risk 3% per trade, I could easily clear +100%.
My risk for the week right now is 7%, if I upped my risk to 21%, it could be to much, but the way I see it, each position is independent.
Still working out the best parameters to trade my system.
To answer your question, anything is possible, I don't put any limits on what is possible.

If one knows exactly why the market is moving, I think on could risk one trade at 1% risk and return 25%^^
Why not?
Well, currently up only +15% on the week. Dropped about -3% on a few that went against me, the open positions receded a little.

I remember hearing a story about a normal guy who turned of his 30k life savings in to 2 mil in the .Com boom,
Only to loose all of it when the bubble popped and then had to get a normal job :eek: :cry:

That happened to a lot of us, I swapped 48 percent equity in a company I had for £ 1.2 mil of a dot com incubator shares..had a lock in whilst their shares value slid to 30 grand then fook all....

That happened to a lot of us, I swapped 48 percent equity in a company I had for £ 1.2 mil of a dot com incubator shares..had a lock in whilst their shares value slid to 30 grand then fook all....

original