Mensa Test

It's exactly this type of prejudice and stereotyping that forces people into creating and joining elite societies...:rolleyes:

Tell me, exactly how many pubs have you walked into and found someone bragging about their IQ and or Mensa membership? I would be inclined to say it is exactly zero. I also know why :rolleyes:

My main point is - essentially, what use is having a certificate that proves you have an IQ of lets say 154? if you state this on your CV, what use is it still? waht does an IQ score actually prove? they are of ltd use/value/credibility IMO, as on some i have gained a very high mark, and on others i have gained an averager mark. A lot depends on whether you know the answer or not.

My main point is - essentially, what use is having a certificate that proves you have an IQ of lets say 154? if you state this on your CV, what use is it still? waht does an IQ score actually prove? they are of ltd use/value/credibility IMO, as on some i have gained a very high mark, and on others i have gained an averager mark. A lot depends on whether you know the answer or not.

Exactly.

As Chris Tarrent says, "the questions are easy when you know the answers."

Is this one of those sentences that doesn't actually make sense?

For example if the question was, "What is the capital of France?" and I replied Brussels
does that mean the question was difficult?

It doesn’t prove anything and it is not really meant to. People climb Mt Everest simply because it is a challenge. It makes no difference to them whether it adds value to their CV or not. Mensa is simply a High IQ society whose ONLY entry criterion is having an IQ within the top 2% of the general population. That’s it. If you want to join Mensa then you must take an approved IQ test and score in the top 2%.
The reason your IQ score is so inconsistent is probably due to the fact that you haven’t really taken a properly standardised and calibrated test or you have taken badly designed tests.
IQ tests should follow these Golden rules at the very least:
1) Given enough time, most people should be able to answer all questions correctly. In other words, the questions shouldn’t be so impossibly complicated that only a rocket scientist has a hope of getting them right.
2) ALL the information required to answer the questions should be contained within the question. In other words, a test should not be biased towards education and no ‘eternal’ knowledge should be needed.
3) The questions should not involve complicated mathematical calculations where you are likely to make a mistake even though you have the right method.
As for ‘knowing’ the answer, you are talking about knowledge tests which are often and wrongly described as IQ tests. I hate them. An example of game shows which I think highlights the difference between knowledge and intelligence would be ‘Who wants to be a Millionaire’ and Countdown (My favourite)
With ‘Who wants to be a Millionaire’ you can only do well if you have a good memory and wide knowledge on a variety of subjects. This doesn’t make you intelligent, just knowledgeable. This is often referred to as crystallised intelligence.
With ‘Countdown’ you only need basic reading writing and arithmetic skills. In order to do well on this show you need speed of thought and good problem solving skills as each situation is new to a certain degree. This type of intelligence is known as fluid intelligence. Fluid intelligence is tied to biology. It is defined as our "on-the-spot reasoning ability, a skill not basically dependant on our prior experience."

what use is having a certificate that proves you have an IQ of lets say 154? if you state this on your CV, what use is it still?

None if you are an individual home based trader.

For example if the question was, "What is the capital of France?" and I replied Brussels does that mean the question was difficult?

The letter "F" is the answer I would have given

Paul

Last edited:
Humm... a bit like electiricity isn't it, no one is quite sure how it really works, but the main thing is that it works.

Like the eels at the bottom of the sea, u c ?

The electric eels do not quite understand why the congers do not generate electicity and the congers so not quite understand why the electrics do.

The fact of the matter is...some of them do and some of them don't..:LOL:

for goodness sake's Albert, electric eels are freshwater, congers are marine. They will never met, but point taken.

I never set much on IQ tests, there have been notable scientists whose test scores have been abysmal.

the first iq test i did i got 148 which came as a bit of a suprise since i never excelled at school or college so i did another finished it in 35 minutes and got 155 :)
for some types of trading being good with numbers having sound logic and good pattern recognition is essential if only for finding and developing setups you see. once you have this knowledge these strengths become a lot less necessary but since this is one game where reading books on the subject in my experience wont do anything for your progress the sort of skills that a high iq demands are very handy when analysing numbers patterns and sequences which is basicly all technical analysis is. one of the reasons a lot of intelligent people coming outof other proffessions say doctors accountants have problems is previously they read and studied a lot of books carefully followed the instructions perfectly which resulted in doing their job very well. do the same thing for trading and it gets you nowhere. so although a high iq means nothing but an ego boost for the guy who finds out hes good at them i think one of the areas it does shows an aptitude for is trading

It doesn’t prove anything and it is not really meant to. People climb Mt Everest simply because it is a challenge. It makes no difference to them whether it adds value to their CV or not. Mensa is simply a High IQ society whose ONLY entry criterion is having an IQ within the top 2% of the general population. That’s it. If you want to join Mensa then you must take an approved IQ test and score in the top 2%.
The reason your IQ score is so inconsistent is probably due to the fact that you haven’t really taken a properly standardised and calibrated test or you have taken badly designed tests.

But whats the point/advantage/use of being a mensa member though? :confused: discount coupons at asda, free cinema tickets, etc. etc? i doubt it.
If i join a leisure club, whether it be a football, basketball, golf, tennis, canoeing, club, or some other type of club/society that benefits me economically through discounts etc. or proferssionally - such as a union, or professional membership etc.
Both of these types of clubs/memberships enable me to benefit in some way through membership. Whats the deal with mensa?

Cheers.

Last edited:
But whats the point/advantage/use of being a mensa member though? :confused: discount coupons at asda, free cinema tickets, etc. etc? i doubt it.
An ex used to be a Mensa regional organiser and I tagged along to a couple of meetings. From what I saw, I'd say the attractions are varied and include self-validation, ego-boosting, partner-seeking, superiority complex, professional furtherment, fondness for puzzles, and a desire to supplement the typical surroundings of people who hold their knives like pencils, write "dependant", watch sport on colossal TVs and refuse to vaccinate their children on the basis that they're morons with people who squint and stammer. Although plenty of Mensards are morons. And people with orange tans who wear gold, I forgot them, and have got big dogs. I think you do get some kind of voucher scheme as well, but I may be wrong.

An ex used to be a Mensa regional organiser and I tagged along to a couple of meetings. From what I saw, I'd say the attractions are varied and include self-validation, ego-boosting, partner-seeking, superiority complex, professional furtherment, fondness for puzzles, and a desire to supplement the typical surroundings of people who hold their knives like pencils, write "dependant", watch sport on colossal TVs and refuse to vaccinate their children on the basis that they're morons with people who squint and stammer. Although plenty of Mensards are morons. And people with orange tans who wear gold, I forgot them, and have got big dogs. I think you do get some kind of voucher scheme as well, but I may be wrong.

She was smart enough to dump you! :LOL: