Mastering the game.

Please yourself and continue to think what you like. I am not interested in pursuing silly circular arguments with you.I have better things to do.:LOL:

I was genuinely surprised by your analogy between markets and Rubik's cube. I can understand the 3D chess comment, but Rubik's cube has a fairly simple mechanical solution, and its not really a game between sentient opponents, you twist the pieces and they go where you tell them to (I cant push the market around at the size I trade at :LOL: )

As a young lad I made a few bob selling a small leaflet that I'd produced on the college photocopier with a solution to Rubik's cube !

I was genuinely surprised by your analogy between markets and Rubik's cube. I can understand the 3D chess comment, but Rubik's cube has a fairly simple mechanical solution, and its not really a game between sentient opponents, you twist the pieces and they go where you tell them to (I cant push the market around at the size I trade at :LOL: )

As a young lad I made a few bob selling a small leaflet that I'd produced on the college photocopier with a solution to Rubik's cube !

Zuppie, I agree with you but I used it as an analogy because it serves to baffle so many people. that's all, even if the solution to it is fundamentally simple.

Deleted posts

Analogies with sport and other games are fine with regard to the original topic of the thread. I have removed posts that take the thread totally away from the trading game and also those concerned with who individual members choose to place on ignore, which is their personal choice and nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

Edit - I have just had to remove another post. Any further attempts to derail this thread will result in a ban

Charlton

Last edited:
When will you be satisfied that you have mastered the trading game? I am inclined to say it’s when you have no more trading related questions that need answering and trading has become a completely effortless process.

Hi new trader,

I think you have answered the question your self, I am inclined to agree :LOL:
you will never not have another question, but if you surf well you will have all the time in the world to find the answers, and the search goes on :D

Its a great thread and I have found the posts from all (most) very good, I have to take me Ladd"Y to football and never seem to have time in the week to follow threads like this but its been FUN :LOL:

great postin with you all , even you Socrates, a great priv to be posted @ :D

Hi new trader,

I think you have answered the question your self, I am inclined to agree :LOL:
you will never not have another question, but if you surf well you will have all the time in the world to find the answers, and the search goes on :D

Its a great thread and I have found the posts from all (most) very good, I have to take me Ladd"Y to football and never seem to have time in the week to follow threads like this but its been FUN :LOL:

great postin with you all , even you Socrates, a great priv to be posted @ :D

I received a nice message the other day so returned one, see earlier posts

The eye opener is watching the experienced Surfer (trader)
ride the waves, watching him stop out then try again all choosing different spots for take off , no right or wrong just a good take off spot for their skill level

No man I am not, but do live where stated, moved there 7 yr ago. I appreciate all skills done well in any field.

The Surfers attitude to life if he is true
(not a wk end dude with his brand new VW) is probably the best traders attitude to adopt ~ IMO

They care about surfing, life interacting with others, They are not competative by nature and they don"t seem to bother about tomorrow much just the here and now. They ride the waves to become one with nature and don"t care to much about money as long as they have enough thats cool

There lack of attachment to money gives them an edge in what they take part in LIFE.

I removed the money from the trading game 6 months ago when I realised I was just constantly breaking even. Thought about what I new , thought whats logical , which waves do I want to ride , wrote it down and traded it on a demo account, Great results for my level of ability.

Went Live a few months ago / still got me part time job (everybody part time in NQ) going ok not setting world on fire yet, but do you now what, I don"t care anymore , I"m in full control of my method and me, and if it dont work out and I cant become a full master of this trade, Im havin FUN learnin and taking part. The downsides covered :!:

So ye I am a surfer , we all are if we choose to be ,

Im a Surfer on the snooker table, a Surfer at work and most of all Im a Surfer when I trade.

If you feel the heat, feel uncomfortable in any way, what ever your your doin, your doin it it wrong "my Dad said that"
Step back and say what can the surfer do for me and the search goes on "I said that"

Last edited:
Simple algorithms can be used to solve the most complex problems. We encounter many different problems in life but we don't always need to invent a new way of solving them. The solutions may vary, but the logical process used to obtain them remain fairly constant. Not too different from the simple conditional statements used in software - IF,THEN,ELSE.

You may still have trading questions but in the end you will learn that the only person who can answer them properly is you. The answers to the most difficult questions you will ever encounter in trading can only be found internally and not externally.

new_trader

Do you feel it important to acknowledge oneself as, or be ackowledged as a "Master" ? If so why ?

p.s. Charlton - you've missed one - #64

new_trader

Do you feel it important to acknowledge oneself as, or be ackowledged as a "Master" ? If so why ?

p.s. Charlton - you've missed one - #64

This could be a philosophical debate all of its own! I would say there would be a tacit understanding or acknowledgment between skilled practitioners of a particular art or activity. There wouldn’t be a ‘need’ for validation.

I would say there would be a tacit understanding or acknowledgment between skilled practitioners of a particular art or activity. There wouldn’t be a ‘need’ for validation.

Absolutely. Because if one has a Sharpe ratio >3 who cares what anybody else thinks.

Perhaps you are not in the right take off spot for your personality, There are many waves and many take off spots and it is your job to find one that is FUN or whats the point :?: . I have not reached a stage of mastery myself but I do have fun even if it means changing something regarding my method to allow fun back into the work. I am a painter by trade and considered above average, I always had fun when I was an apprentice and still do, when I don"t I will stop and do something else or do it another way.

That does not mean I have not the nine o"clock news on in the background when I am trading, to be honest it would do no harm in my opinion.

Lad drew 2-2 @ footy, great match.

Just checked my control panel and.....

"...personality ha nothing to do with trading...nothing to do with choosing a style....building around personality is imposing your weakness on the market....but have some greenies on the house anyways."

person not posted so will respect that but ....

We all have personality , don"t we :?: If we choose a style of trading that suits our personality are we not just making life /trading easier for ourselves . Why is that weakness, is it :?: are we not just playing to our best advantage, do we not make better choices etc if we are in our own comfort zone :?:

This could be a philosophical debate all of its own! I would say there would be a tacit understanding or acknowledgment between skilled practitioners of a particular art or activity. There wouldn’t be a ‘need’ for validation.

I agree.

However, there may be a requirement to countermand invalidation.

And this requirement is an option, pure and simple.

And just like the markets, the holder of this option, has the right, but not the obligation, to excercise it.:cheesy:

Last edited:
My 2 cents

Just out of interest Socrates, what Sharpe do you claim ?

Profitaker,

I was under the impression that if you agreed with what I said ('Absolutely' implies that you do) it would obviate the need to ask SOCRATES this question. You know just as well as I do that people can claim and profess anything they want about their trading in a public forum. Displaying book learned knowledge is very different (and easily detectable) from "battle hardened" or battle experienced knowledge. Posting live trade calls gives credibility to a claim and you don’t see much of that taking place.

We all have personality , don"t we :?: If we choose a style of trading that suits our personality are we not just making life /trading easier for ourselves . Why is that weakness, is it :?: are we not just playing to our best advantage, do we not make better choices etc if we are in our own comfort zone :?:

This is where Edith Piaf used to say , Use your faults, use your defects, then your gonna be a star...... Trade To the Rhythum... :)

Absolutely agree again. But I don't consider Socrates a "skilled practitioner", far from it, and therein lies the rub.

Of course there is no "need" to ask the question, and you should see that the question was posed "out of interest" and I don't suppose it'll be answered anyway, at least not in any intelligible format.

This thread is about "mastering" trading, and I don't see the problem in asking someone who purports to have "mastered" it what his Sharpe is. Do you ?

Absolutely agree again. But I don't consider Socrates a "skilled practitioner", far from it, and therein lies the rub.

Of course there is no "need" to ask the question, and you should see that the question was posed "out of interest" and I don't suppose it'll be answered anyway, at least not in any intelligible format.

This thread is about "mastering" trading, and I don't see the problem in asking someone who purports to have "mastered" it what his Sharpe is. Do you ?

Seeing you asked me, I will answer. I don't need to know anything about SOCRATES' trades, ratio's, bank balance, margin, win/loss ratio etc...etc...because there isn't a single doubt in my mind, not one, that he has indeed Mastered the Game.

Seeing you asked me, I will answer. I don't need to know anything about SOCRATES' trades, ratio's, bank balance, margin, win/loss ratio etc...etc...because there isn't a single doubt in my mind, not one, that he has indeed Mastered the Game.

In other words you take his word for it. This subject needs no further discussion - let's more on....