Is it worth remaining a member of T2W

kevin546

Established member
Maybe I am the odd one out here but having been frequenting trading sites for the past 5 years it seems to me that they all suffer the same problems.

Trade2win offers fantastic facilities the opportunity to discuss all aspects of trading, share views, learn from others and there charts and so on.

Unfortunately though there comes a point where an interesting thread or posters suffers from disruptions by those who for whatever reason cling to the thread with no other apparent intent than to oppose everything that is said without offering explanation. Eventually the context of the thread becomes disrupted and uneasy to follow with lots of posts that can only be considered rubbish and have no link with the content. The result the thread ends prematurely and posters who over a period have shown themselves to be sensible, considerate and knowledgeable in the area they are offering to discuss. However these posters come to the view that they are wasting there time and move on. Many good posters are now no longer seen within the threads on this site.

I am of the opinion that any new thread could easily suffer the same problems where people hold different views or just do not like the subject matter so they continue to post regardless offering no useful purpose whatsoever. Therefore it seems a waste of time to remain placing effort into posting or reading a thread only for the same practice to take place.

I post not to make any trouble towards trade2win but cannot see any reason for me to remain and I am certain that those within trade2win can see the absences I speak of. My going will be of little consequence but it seems to me those that have already been forced away are a great loss to those that remain IMHO.

There may be no reason for you to remain, but there isn't necessarily any particular reason to leave, either. The online community has changed drastically over tha past ten years, particularly with regard to trading and investment. The reasons would require more than a post. But if you are able to find at least a few people who seem to know what they're talking about, or at least provide information that is helpful to you, then you can still benefit from the "message board experience" through a liberal use of Ignore and by using PMs (though not to the extent of being a pest). You can also subscribe to threads of interest so that you're not distracted by what is trivial or irrelevant to you.

There is plenty of gold here. You just have to pan for it. :)

Keven 546
Don't get peed off mate. The world is full of frustrated loses who will always be jealous of those leading a better life then their own. :cool:

I have no reason to leave T2W. There are tons and tons of highly valuable information. People always have been nice to me. Many members have gone out of their way to help me (you know who you are) when I asked a question. I am grateful to Sharky and the members for all the help. I hope I made some contribution, even if that's a very tiny little bit compared to many of you.

You do occasionally run into trouble. Moving on to the next interesting discussion always helps.

Kevin,

Sadly there has been a recent flurry of facile, insulting posts and we have banned one particular perpetrator. Unfortunately there seems to be no lack of those eager to take up the mantle of disruption, but we will try as ever to ensure they do not take hold; I hope without our being excessively draconian.

I would be sorry if you stopped posting on account of the noisy interludes and premature closings that threads sometimes suffer. There are pearls among the barley, even if a stiff brush is needed on occasion. :)

Thank you for the posts. The thread was not so much about my staying or leaving, mind you I am at the point of is it really worth it. It was about highlighting what I felt was a no win situation. The end result is always the same.

I do not wish to read rubbish but try as the moderators do in the end the active thread always dies and often the poster with it along with a few more regulars.

I take on board the suggestion of message boards and pm and the ignore facility, never used it yet probably long overdue.

People forget that people post here giving there time and effort for goodwill, I have found numerous people both kind and helpful and for that I am very grateful. Where possible I have tried to help others. I find it frustrating that many are here just to argue for the sake of it. I hope Frugi that you can keep on top of it.

It is a shame that there is not a way of setting up a forum group where membership can in some way be restricted further than what is applied on the thread. That might have kept a number of previous posters with you.

Kind regards

Kevin

kevin546 said:
It is a shame that there is not a way of setting up a forum group where membership can in some way be restricted further than what is applied on the thread. That might have kept a number of previous posters with you.

Kind regards

Kevin

Actually, there is, but not everyone approves of the idea. :)

Try the Ignore and PM options. They may help block out what you don't want to see in the landscape.

kevin546 said:
The thread was not so much about my staying or leaving, mind you I am at the point of is it really worth it. It was about highlighting what I felt was a no win situation. The end result is always the same.

I do not wish to read rubbish but try as the moderators do in the end the active thread always dies and often the poster with it along with a few more regulars.

Kevin

Kevin

Not sure if I follow you correctly. If not, just ignore me . LOL

When posting questions or discussions, lots of time the answer is very simple, no need to complicate things or discuss it to death. One can study price behaviour accordingly on their own and make their own conclusions quite sensibly. Sometimes one has to let a lot of time transpire to get things to sink in . Learning takes time and one can only digest so much at a time. Keep your learning in focus and not worry about disrupting posts.

erie

Kevin,

I favor keeping a thread open even to occasional disrupters. One can simply ignore or not read in detail any disrupter's post. Actually, sometimes a disrupter can actually get people to considering a view point they otherwise would have never considered, all just because they did in fact look at his post. I guess one could be extreme in any thing. But if a post is reasonably related to the topic at hand and the disrupter is not abusive, vulgar, or just plain mean, then I don't see any reason to censor a post. I prefer an open public arena as an exchange of ideas even when some of those ideas cut against my grain and irritate me. When they do then I have to ask myself "why are they irritating me?" Perhaps it is something I needed to hear and just didn't know it. Like the oldtimers say (my paraphrase)"good medicine taste bad, bad medicine taste good!" But not always I would be quick to add.

PT

Kevin,
Everything is certainly relative. I have been amazed and delighted by the decency of the T2W posters after having left Elite Trader. This site may not be perfect but I feel it is filled with many decent people willing to share and take part in serious discussion. It is a breath of fresh air compared to the flamefest at ET.
Mojo

As one who doesn't post very much the dicotomy is this: This board needs advertising revenue and therfore as many 'hits' as possble. It follows therefore that the more members it hjs the greater it's potential appeal to an advertiser/sponser. These increases in member numbers however do have an indirect relation to the quality of the board and it's postings.

the simple truth is that the good traders are too busy trading, and cannot be bothered with the endless squabbles and stupidity. Unfortuntaely too the good traders get fed up with answering the same old 'how much money can I make spreadbetting?' type questions that arise again and again, so one by one, they stop posting.

If you think of the board as a bucket with a hole at the bottom that is losing water, you need that constant drip drip of new members to replace those that have gone.

The thread starter is correct in his thoughts, and I concur that 90-95% of what is posted here is of no use to most. But there are nuggets of priceless information, that may or may not require some digging to find them. This task is undoubtedly made hrader by the hijacking of posts by 'off topic' discussions and silly squabbles.

I for one have always preferred to discuss and share/develop ideas/experiences in live chat rooms with people that are actually trading.

I s'pose it comes with the territory Kevin. If you wanted to find folk with an ego the size of the empire state building then this would be a reasonable place to start. I've been shot-down-in-flames unecessarily aggressively (imho) a few times recently and it does make you think twice about posting anything at all. Part of the problem is the inherent anonymity afforded by these sites and use of text which can leaves lots of gaps for the mind of a stressed or angry reader to misinterpret. Still lots of very interesting stuff around though - like this thread, for example :)

Steve

I see the thread has moved thought it had been removed entirely for a moment.

bbmac

Very astute post

c6ackp

It is not so much misunderstanding within replies but downright destructive nature of those replies to the thread in question.

You all make valuable observations.

bbmac said:
I for one have always preferred to discuss and share/develop ideas/experiences in live chat rooms with people that are actually trading.

And if one knows the people with whom he's trading, this can accelerate the learning curve remarkably well.

Unfortunately, many of those who frequent chatrooms don't trade at all. In fact, they can show winner after winner in chat, yet be leaking money like a sieve.

Therefore, as with all things related to trading -- in fact, money in general -- caveat emptor.

Abusive posts should be moved (or deleted) - 'robust' posts where a user argues their point forcefully are one thing, name calling or personal attacks another.... 'I think your argument naive, unworkable in practise, and lacking in insight' is one thing, 'your mother dresses you funny and you smell odd' is quite another. Many disruptive posts are simultaneously abusive - that would 'cure' one issue.

Another common form of disruption is when somebody takes a diametrically opposite view to the thread's, one example srings to mind readily (I'm genuinely not 'picking' on this one, it's just easy to remember) a TA thread starter was challenged by somebody who, to put it simply, had stopped using TA and was now a Fundamentals player. My personal thought on this is 'and good luck to him' - I'm happy as a sandboy for everyone here to make a shedload of money by any means short of photocopying. It is disruptive to post 'I think something different, prove your way works'.... repeatedly.

If you disagree with the basic tenet of the thread then say so, invite comment, and if the thread starter says they're not about to debate the point then agree to differ and for heaven's sake let the thread continue - there is a button marked [!] for 'Report Bad Post'... if you believe a poster is 'touting for business' in some way then alert Sharky via this button and let him sort it out. There is no need for a self appointed lynch mob to continue to post on a suspect thread - let the boss do it.

I'd like to see all posts that are obviously abusive removed - members can use the [!] option to assist mods in doing this - and those that are just bloody mindedly argumentative could be shifted into a thread reserved for the more entertaining rants... let us not overlook the comedic aspects of some of the complaints we send winging forth when the market has closed, we've religiously shorted every upswing and 'long'd' every downswing all day, and there's beer in the fridge or a bottle of red on the rack....

Kevin, it would be a shame to see you go, so don't.

Yes T2W is flawed, but it's still one of the better boards around.
(Is it your turn to follow me, or vice versa?)

- Edited for spelling, which I do now and then, as 'let him sort it out' makes more sense than the original 'let jim sort it out'

Kevin, like many others I've been reading your posts (especially in the 123-RossHook thread) with great interest and would be sorry to see you go. It's really not easy to swallow the irony of seeing you go while others who have driven so many members away from other sites and are now increasingly doing the same thing here remain here and are apparently so welcome!! :(

My name is jim, but whether its jim or him is irrelevant. The point of this thread is, as I understand it, is "is it worth it?"

Well it costs nothing, the time you spend on these boards is the time you elect to spend on the boards.

I am no great fan of trading boards, but if I choose to be here, it is my choice. If I choose to buy, or sell in the market, it should be my choice. And there lies the rub. Gaining control over personal action- it ain't easy!

The market is the market, it is what it is...the board is the board, it is what it is. Wherever you choose to spend time, with an inquisitive mind it can prove productive, but at the margin...?

kevin546 said:
I see the thread has moved thought it had been removed entirely for a moment.

bbmac

Very astute post

c6ackp

It is not so much misunderstanding within replies but downright destructive nature of those replies to the thread in question.

You all make valuable observations.

Hi Kevin,

Yes, it is worth it. There are a couple of threads going right now that I find very interesting and there are some very interesting posters that have something to say and who know that there are many others waiting for their opinions.

Split