• Be close-to-zero-tolerance

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I don't care, I'm happy walking round the trash

Votes: 8 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Charts

Legendary member
Many threads are trashed by a small number of abusive or disruptive members.
This drives away some of the quality posters completely or they only post rarely.
The mods are understandably reluctant to ban members but the overall quality suffers.
Perhaps an answer would be for t2w to set up a premium section where members pay a modest subscription and anyone being rude is immediately banned.
It seems to me the facility to do that is already in place and the only cost would be that of collecting subscriptions - which is self- financing.
This would have the advantage of a clean board free of abuse so those quality posters might return and also provide some additional income for t2w.
It might actually encourage some self -control from the serial trashers.
Everything to gain and not much to lose.
Richard

I remember bringing up that idea a few years ago. At that time, I would have been willing to pay a subscription but now I don't see the point. I did pay a subscription with ADVFN but the quality wasn't that great.

Yes, high time too. T2W has gone too tabloid.

It can't be too difficult for moderators to keep threads on message.

Tit for tat exchanges between members must be giving new traders the impression that this business turns you into a crank.

And how people find that much time for that level of tragic b###ocks whilst managing to trade is beyond me!

But maybe therein lies the truth! :rolleyes:

Mr Charts

You are assuming the abusive and disruptive members are poor and willnot /cannot pay the sub.

How is what you are suggesting any different to what currently happens?

I don't yet know trade2win well enough to comapre it with the other similar sites, but if it's anything at all like them, it's the sheer amount of drivel [SOCRATES, are you paying attention? :D ] compared with useful information that drains the energy and the will to post, or even read posts.

Richard. There are 40 odd thousand members. How many post on a regular basis? Does it matter? Of course it matters. This fairy-tale/eutopian world that you seek does not exist, at least, not in the real world anyway. Look. You like to help people, we all do. This is a site where people, believe it or not, have thier own opinion. Why don't you set up your own website? Call it...mmm...'I like to help the helpless', or something. I know you like helping people, and i am sure that T2W could afford you some kind of space where it was obvious to anybody that this particular space was only for beginners and not for arguement. I sincerely hope they do, it would be a shame if they did not.

Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Charts. I believe Sharky has considered this option before. The problem was: how do we justify the charge without supplying premium content of some description? If the premium was actually an assurance of a LACK of pointless content, I'm not sure that would be enough to draw a reasonable number of people in. Perhaps, given the recent flurry of unwelcome activity, it would? Views welcomed.

There is of course the option to significantly tighten the moderation so that the sort of activity Mr Charts describes is simply not tolerated. An introduction of an immediate 2 day ban for troublemakers as well as ruthless pruning and deletion of damaged threads, for instance. Would members be in favour of this? (And before you answer, stop to consider what you may have written in the last week or so:)). I suspect that there will be no pleasing everyone and, under this new regime, as soon as the threads returned to normal we'd be inundated with accusations of running a police state instead.

Mr. Charts said:
Many threads are trashed by a small number of abusive or disruptive members.
This drives away some of the quality posters completely or they only post rarely.
The mods are understandably reluctant to ban members but the overall quality suffers.
Perhaps an answer would be for t2w to set up a premium section where members pay a modest subscription and anyone being rude is immediately banned.
It seems to me the facility to do that is already in place and the only cost would be that of collecting subscriptions - which is self- financing.
This would have the advantage of a clean board free of abuse so those quality posters might return and also provide some additional income for t2w.
It might actually encourage some self -control from the serial trashers.
Everything to gain and not much to lose.
Richard

Richard

The difficulty, as always, is where to draw the line - one person's rudeness is anothers telling riposte. We have our site guidelines and we seek to apply them with as much fairness as we can muster.

To some extent we are guided as to whether or not we are getting it about right by the number of reported posts we get. If members want us to harden up then hit the "report post" button and we'll soon take the hint as they start flooding in ;)

Regards

jon

ps: hadn't seen frugi's post when I did this which is much in the same vein

How about a 'Sin' button? Hit five times within the same thread by separate members, the offender is blocked from posting for a week.

Oh my God!!!

I've turned into bl##dy Tony Blair! :cry:

Told you trading turns you cranky. ;)

commanderco,
People tend to be ruder and unappreciative when things are free. If they have to pay something they tend to be politer in my experience, especially if there is the sanction of being banned from something they have paid for.

Bigbusiness,
When Mike ran advfn he ran a tight ship very well.
I left when Clem took over as the site degenerated imo. This comment is no way negative about Clem personally. I have met him and like him, but didn't like the site.
In my view there are more quality posters lurking here than ever there were on advfn.

Over The Top,
Whether you like or dislike Socrates or anyone else, personal negative comments usually spiral down very rapidly........................

t2w,
You could also add some premium content as a freebie to encourage subscribers

Richard

Richard should have his own place on T2W, and i don't mean that tongue in cheek. Personally i think it is obvious. There should be some basic guide lines that an individual has to agree with and away you go, into the realms.

No problem, frugi.

This was merely an idea I felt worth airing. I am not here defending it, it's just a kite that might take off and fly or be shot down. That is up to Sharky et al and the reaction to the idea.

I have no axe to grind and the people in whom I am occasionally tempted to sink an axe, (purely in the interests of euthanasia, you understand), seem to get banned EVENTUALLY anyway. It's the loss of good quality posters which saddens me.
FWIW, I have had several rather firm but polite disagreements with some mods myself, but they generally seem to do a good job, imo, and deserve credit not criticism.

Richard

Last edited: