is 100% return each year realistic?

the 'net' per day suggests i aim for 1,000 points per year. i have losing days but not that often losing weeks and never months.

the hard part is walking away and finding something else to do at 9am when you have your points. (i find the easiest time to make money 8-9 maybe till 10).

i reckon this is doable up to perhaps £100k in the account and £100 per point but then i've never traded over £70 per point ever and not sure how fills etc work with spreadbet companies over this level.

i know on liffe it's not that liquid and at 10 contracts (£100 per point) you wouldn't be able to get full fills at will. i guess then you move to the 'es' and do an hour a day on that instead.

I understand, its just most people would not walk away with £4 a day profit and stick to it !

£4 a day for 250 days will double £1,000. as per the thread.

£400 per day will double £100k if you can get the fills and keep your head at £100 per point.

Out of interest, if you're making £4 a day, how much would you estimate your spreadbet broker is making?

it depends on if i place 100 trades and and scratch 99 for even and make £4 on the last one or if i place one trade and make £4 on it.

Wait a minute, you might do 100 trades in a day and net make £4? I think you're making a lot more money for your broker than you are for yourself!!

i think you struggle with the concept of examples.

i don't trade 100 times per day,

i don't trade £1pp

and i don't make £4 per day.

my point is your question is unanswerable as someone's p/l alone won't tell you much about how they trade and how much broker's commission get's made.

i'm leaving this thread alone now

it depends on if i place 100 trades and and scratch 99 for even and make £4 on the last one or if i place one trade and make £4 on it.

You have clearly implied that you might trade 100 times in a day, which is what I said in my previous post.

".. if I place 100 trades .."

I did not suggest that you ALWAYS trade 100 times a day, but whichever, the notion of ever trading 100 times in order to make 4 points is mindblowing.

I apologise if I have incorrectly inferred from your post.

You have clearly implied that you might trade 100 times in a day, which is what I said in my previous post.

".. if I place 100 trades .."

I did not suggest that you ALWAYS trade 100 times a day, but whichever, the notion of ever trading 100 times in order to make 4 points is mindblowing.

I apologise if I have incorrectly inferred from your post.

If you make 1,000 % a year without compounding,and you pay 10 times more in commissions than you make, ignore the nay sayers by taking their point (if any).Carry on trading in your way.

If you make 1,000 % a year without compounding,and you pay 10 times more in commissions than you make, ignore the nay sayers by taking their point (if any).Carry on trading in your way.

Really. So let's say your account is £1,000 and you turn it into £10,000 in the course of a year, but in doing so your broker has made £30,000.. you're happy with that?

Really. So let's say your account is £1,000 and you turn it into £10,000 in the course of a year, but in doing so your broker has made £30,000.. you're happy with that?

Of course , trading is about making money.Most of my trending strategies buy expensive and sell cheap,hoping to close higher than buy price or lower than sell price.No price is cheap or expensive , no commissions are cheap or expensive, cheap and expensive are related to profit.

If you make £400 a year from your thousand , and your broker made £40 ,your profit is 40% .Compared to the guy who make 900 % ,your commission is far more expensive.The 30k commission is cheap because it made 900%.

I am in the business of buying and selling commodity goods, if I had an option to buy in my own business at a higher price , I would take that option any time provided there are greater fools.

Mechanical systems can easily make between 20 to 60 % a year,these mechanical systems have constraints and rules to work by,discretionary traders have no such constraints and limits.Discretionary traders have a far greater advantage called the brain, it can process current and future price direction information i.e news flow and expected market behaviour, information which is not available to mechanical systems.Good sharp discretionary traders easily make 100% a month using compounding .Great mercenary traders make 100% a month without compounding,and 15,000 % a year with compounding.

And if you actually read what I say you'll see that all I was saying is 100% a day or a week is difficult if not impossible to maintain, 100% a month i can believe.

Last edited:
Great mercenary traders can make 15,000% a year. Year 1 I have £10k, by the end of year 2 I have £225mio.

Uh huh.

Great mercenary traders can make 15,000% a year. Year 1 I have £10k, by the end of year 2 I have £225mio.

Uh huh.

It is very simple,if only you knew how.I am working on finishing my automated system, it is taking up most of my time ,once it is completed next week I resume mercenary trading.

Very simple mechanical system made an average of 1550 pips a year for last 9 and half years.It is one of 45 systems I use , the combined results of which you will read next week.

Attachments

• COMBINED 14735.xls
    195 KB · Views: 193
  • COMBINED 14735 CHART.xls
    201.5 KB · Views: 208
It is very simple,if only you knew how.I am working on finishing my automated system, it is taking up most of my time ,once it is completed next week I resume mercenary trading.

Very simple mechanical system made an average of 1550 pips a year for last 9 and half years.It is one of 45 systems I use , the combined results of which you will read next week.

You realise that the P/L for this system was flat for a 3 year period?

You realise that the P/L for this system was flat for a 3 year period?

Other systems make money during those periods.It is part of a portfolio of systems.The other systems aren't making money in today's markets, but overall the portfolio makes money regularly.