IGindex taking me to Bankruptcy

Hi there Edward, nice summary:

"At the age of twenty-one, tired of his problems with bucket shops, Jesse Livermore arrived in New York. His goal was to trade in the offices of a member of the New York Stock Exchange.

He began trading at the offices of A.R. Fullerton and Co. and within six months had lost all his money.

Livermore realized that trading in bucket shops had left him ill-prepared for trading in the offices of a stockbroker.

Bucket shops offered immediate execution of orders because trades were in-house - they did not pass through the stock exchange. In bucket shops Livermore also knew the exact prices he was buying and selling at.

Dealing with a legitimate broker resulted in costly delays. It took time to telephone orders through to the exchange and then more time to execute them.

According to Livermore, his trading style, which was a perfect system for trading in bucket shops, didn't work in Fullerton's office.

"The price of Sugar on the tape might be 105 and I could see a three-point drop coming. As a matter of fact, at the very moment the ticker was printing 105 on the tape the real price on the floor of the Exchange might be 104 or 103. By the time my order to sell a thousand shares got to Fullerton's floor man to execute, the price might be still lower."

" ...in A. R. Fullerton's office the tape always talked ancient history to me, as far as my system of trading went, and I didn't realize it. And then, too, if my order was fairly big my own sale would tend further to depress the price. In the bucket shop I didn't have to figure on the effect of my own trading. I lost in New York because the game was altogether different."

So, despite his remarkable powers in interpreting price patterns, Jesse Livermore's trading style, developed in bucket shops, was unsuited to trading in real shares.

He returned to the bucket shops - this time in St Louis where he was less well known. Soon he was recognized and the bucket shops refused him further business. He had, however, managed to accumulate enough money to return to New York and resume trading.

"My task, as I should have known after my first reverses at Fullerton's, was very simple: To look at speculation from another angle. But I didn't know that there was much more to the game than I could possibly learn in the bucket shops. There I thought I was beating the game when in reality I was only beating the shop. ... The game taught me the game. And it didn't spare the rod while teaching."
Continued:"

http://www.jesse-livermore.com/stockbroker-woes.html

Eventually he of course learned to live with the delays.

Bedsit, true enough re his suicide, but let's not forget that at one point he managed to turn zilch into what in todays money would have been a cool Billion, and he suffered from severe depressions.

That doesn't always for a long life make.

In the early days Livermore traded against very short term price movements which he identified using his own methods (mainly the experience he gained as a chalkboard boy working in a brokerage firm). One imagines that this was simply 'Support' and 'Resistance' combinded with some volume analysis.

The bucket shops laid nothing off so any client win was their loss. Successful clients who grow their capital will always start to make larger wagers and Livermore was no different and the shops had to act in a 'commercial manner' in order to limit their losses.

This forced Livermore to trade via a proper exchange. In those days the price feeds ('the ticker' - a basic time and sales print out) could run a good deal of time behind the real level of the market. As a result Livermore was no longer able to speculate on an 'intra day' basis as he was completely unable to time the entry and exit of positions like he had done in the bucket shops. The bucket shops used 'the ticker' to make their prices and the fact that those prices were not real didn't worry them since the clients had no other means of knowing what the correct price really was. The shops edge was simply its small spread combined with a tight stop loss which the clients used.

Livermore then changed his strategy to a longer term approach. Rather than trading ticks he started to look at the markets more in terms of 'bull' or 'bear'. He developed further methods which looked at how the markets absorbed high volume trades. Using this he tried to catch turn points as the economy as a whole moved between boom and bust. Livermores edge seemed more powerful in bear markets and that is where he made the bulk of his fortune.

In the end he did take his own life. He suffered badly with depression all his life. Weather 'trading' added to his feelings of ups and downs is hard to say.

Reactions: BSD
Spot on Steve:

"From the age of 15, Jesse Livermore had become an expert at reading the ticker tape that brought price and volume data from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange.

Livermore had learned, with a high probability of being right, to predict whether a stock was due to rise or fall.

He had also learned that the time delay involved in trading on the stock exchange through a broker, rather than trading in a bucket shop, meant he had to choose his trades carefully. He should accept only those trades that offered the highest probability of large movements in price. The time-delay meant he could no longer step into trades where he thought he could very quickly grab a one-point profit."...
http://www.jesse-livermore.com/the-complete-trader.html

So at the bucket shops he was basically a scalper. Learning to trade at the exchanges via a broker meant he had to learn to become a much longer term swing or position trader.

Last edited:
Yes - He held positions for a much longer period of time - weeks and months rather than minutes and hours. He also devloped a method for adding to positions. His initial positions were often around 10% of his maximum desired size. Once the trade was moving nicely his way he'd wade in further. Of course the size that he built up to put even further pressure on the prices.

Legally, spreadbetting is gambling so you're a gambler that lost and is now complaining that the book maker cheated them. Unless you've strong evidence/proof that IGIndex have actually cheated you I can't see you winning. The court will most likely just say that you shouldn't gamble with money you can't afford to lose etc... If you can pay them, I think it would be in your best interest to do so.

Best of luck though whatever you decide to do :)

I haven't read the whole thread only bits and pieces here and there.

To be honest.....why did you even get yourself in a situation like this in the first place ??

Sounds to me you were way out of your depth and you weren't savvy enough to stop it.

I haven't read the whole thread only bits and pieces here and there.

To be honest.....why did you even get yourself in a situation like this in the first place ??

Sounds to me you were way out of your depth and you weren't savvy enough to stop it.

Ok.. IG are a great company and after many years of business and many thousands "trades" what is the best way to settle this?

Years ago I remember getting a whole side of smoked salmon or some wine from IG at Christmas...last year I got a Statutory Demand and not even a ****ing diary! :(

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Lol mate look go have a talk with the FSA and a lawyer and see what your chances are, and then just do an odds / cost / benefit analysis and see if it's worth it. (Keeping in mind the lawyer wants to make money so may well advise litigation even if the odds are against you...)

If you decide against legal action just chalk it off as a lesson learned, and move on to a real broker like mirus or amp or global or interactive or velocity etc.

What doesn't kill one, etc...

Good luck anyway.

Hmmm a very very interesting thread. The lesson to learn is that mkt makers are generally your enemy. Trade mkts with good liquidity and brokers with instantaneous execution.
The really bad thing is the fact that these cowboys get away with this in a so called regulated mkt. Slippage I can understand and cope with, but errant profiteering at so called clients expense is just plain wrong.

One thing that I have discovered during my trading is that having either music streaming or bloomberg TV or any other internet streaming going on the same machine as your trading platform can cause substantial delays (due to bandwidth) and result in not getting the trade executed at the right price, prices displayed but not being able to execute on them etc. I now have 2 separate internet connections - I specific for the trading platform only and one for my other news feeds etc. This has reduced the incidence of rejected orders substantially.

Lol another option might be to contact the owner of say interactivebrokers, guy is a billionaire and all these bucket shops giving the entire trading industry a bad name must be one heck of a thorn in his side, and see if he won't sponsor you in taking them on through all the courts to set an example or lobby parliament etc and spread some insight there as politics and the regulators seem totally clueless.

Any way, some one new would have to set up a new account with them and all prices and executions would need to be recorded in a provable format against real prices at the time from an exchange.

IB or whoever would have to have a trader there open an account who knows what he is doing, and then all you'd have to do is record how fills will be getting continuously later and worse as the trader makes profits, how you'll be getting worse and worse fake prices spiking against you, how you just won't be executed on some of your orders, etc etc, all the shenanigans these bucket shops use to prevent their punters making and keeping profits.

And if anyone is still making profits because they trade so long term then they'll just kick you out eventually coz these bucket shops are bookies making money from their losing punters, they can't afford profitable clients apart from maybe a handful of alibi ones that aren't too profitable..

All this stuff shouldn't be legal any more in this day and age than the essentially same crap bucket shops pulled in Livermores times.

They were eventually outlawed then so why are they legal now ?

Mind boggling.

The other thing that strikes me is why people use spread bet index account as opposed to CFD's ? Spread betting essentially means that the bookies can make up the price for the spread and move it around as required. If you use CFD's then the price you pay is the actual market price ? Why anyone would want to trade on a spreadbet account is a mystery to me. There is no way to prove the price on a spread bet is the right price at any point in time ?

All this stuff shouldn't be legal any more in this day and age than the essentially same crap bucket shops pulled in Livermores times.

They were eventually outlawed then so why are they legal now ?

Mind boggling.

For the same reason the Lottery runs. To cater for utilitarian needs of the masses who live in hope of rescue from the mundanity of their lives. Additionally the state can apply tax on the companies whilst the 'winnings' are positioned as tax free, thus encouraging more people to participate.

If there is demand for these services then I don't see anything wrong in supplying them. If you're serious about trading then you shouldn't be @rsing about with them, unless you are using them as a stepping stone/low cost sand-box to becoming a genuinely competent market participant using direct access and other professional services commensurate with the business of trading.

The other thing that strikes me is why people use spread bet index account as opposed to CFD's ? Spread betting essentially means that the bookies can make up the price for the spread and move it around as required. If you use CFD's then the price you pay is the actual market price ? Why anyone would want to trade on a spreadbet account is a mystery to me. There is no way to prove the price on a spread bet is the right price at any point in time ?

Well all that is true re spreadbetters buut think the same applies to CFD's, as long as CFD's aren't traded on an exchange - they've started one in Germany now, think it's Stuttgart but don't remember 100% - you're liable to get just as conned price wise.

Some guys who got tired of getting ripped off collected hard proof that ABN AMRO's marketindex - now bought out by RBS - was manipulating price here by comparing the DAX prices as posted by them vs the real thing:

Difference-open-close.ps.png

Difference-high-low.ps.png

Handelsspanne.ps.png

AbweichungT.ps.png

AbweichungK.ps.png

Plus text in German:

http://www.aktienboard.com/wiki/ABN-Amro_X-DAX_im_Vergleich_zur_Deutschen_Boerse

Crap like this belongs outlawed, don't get why some of the real industry biggies like IB etc are letting these guys take away so much business from them instead of starting some real lobbying and advertising campaigns clearing up whats what.

Most criminal is that in the UK spreadbetters get to advertise with the claim that profits are tax free lol.

Doesn't help much when no punters go home with profits on an ongoing basis unlike clients of real brokerages.

Transparent?

"PureDeal has been designed to ensure that our dealings with you are transparent, efficient and fair."

Bigboy, what you need to do is get a sponsor, do what those guys did with ABN AMRO, collect proof that these bucket shops rip off their punters left and right, and take it public, to the regulators, parliament, whatever ministries are responsible, the media, etc.

But you need that proof like above.

Well all that is true re spreadbetters buut think the same applies to CFD's, as long as CFD's aren't traded on an exchange - they've started one in Germany now, think it's Stuttgart but don't remember 100% - you're liable to get just as conned price wise.

Some guys who got tired of getting ripped off collected hard proof that ABN AMRO's marketindex - now bought out by RBS - was manipulating price here by comparing the DAX prices as posted by them vs the real thing:

Difference-open-close.ps.png

Difference-high-low.ps.png

Handelsspanne.ps.png

AbweichungT.ps.png

AbweichungK.ps.png

Plus text in German:

http://www.aktienboard.com/wiki/ABN-Amro_X-DAX_im_Vergleich_zur_Deutschen_Boerse

Crap like this belongs outlawed, don't get why some of the real industry biggies like IB etc are letting these guys take away so much business from them instead of starting some real lobbying and advertising campaigns clearing up whats what.

Most criminal is that in the UK spreadbetters get to advertise with the claim that profits are tax free lol.

Doesn't help much when no punters go home with profits on an ongoing basis unlike clients of real brokerages.

Very pretty graphs, but what exactly are they showing?