How many Pips per week on average? seriously now!!

it all depends on what you are comfortable with. i personally try to average about 30 pips per day. and, contrary to what alot of people have said on here, i try not to think about the returns but instead just focus on capturing pips. That makes growing your business much easier down the road. 30 pips will always be 30 pips... it gets much more difficult trying to turn 300 dollars a day on 30 pips into 3000 a day on 30 pips.... for me anyway, much easier to keep track of a small pip number. i get nervous if i try to count my money or keep track of percentage returns. then again, it all depends on the market doesnt it. i think 30 pips is a reasonable median number on days where the market is just chopping around, but there will always be opportunities to make more on other trading days. i typically take profits at 30 pips unless it feels like i have a real winner. at which point ill look to cover at 100 pips and then 150, and maybe 200. but i never try to hold out for a 250+ pip move.

there also may come a point when you realise that, despite your weekly pip bank, you've been trading like a mug. My aim for this year is to half the pip count, but double the profitability...big challenge...

so you do have a weekly pip bank then ugly duckling?:cheesy:

Just wondering three things:
1) why do you want to know?
2) what makes you think it's important?
3) what makes you think you're right?

Thing about blaming money management techniques is that even with good money management techniques, you can wipe out your account. You'll just do it slowly. Imagine you had a system that was 55% successful (ie 55 trades out of 100 moves into target profit territory). In theory, that's fantastic. You've cracked the market. You've also heard that you're supposed to let profits run. So you risk 50 pips for each trade. First target is on average at 50 pips (and you move stop to breakeven to lock in profit), second target is 150 pips (for those awesome news spikes). So you trade 2 lots every time. Result is 1 lot will give you 50, sometimes the 2nd lot will give you 150 (but usually not and it returns to breakeven to stop you out) and 45% of the time it hits your stop. So over time you're taking 50 pips more than losing 50 pips. However, can you see that over time 45% of the time you're losing 2 lots and 55% of the time you're winning 1 lot? So your pip win size increases but your account decreases.

Anyway, what ever number of pips you're making, be happy with it. Don't compare with others. I have always been able to swing trade but kept getting lured back into scalping because I kept hearing of others making money scalping with the subsequent denting of my account. Now I just accept that I cannot scalp and accept that my average pips per week is much lower plus there are less trades to take (sometimes one a fortnight!).

I knew you'd get those answers because the question doesn't make sense in the real (trading) world. It is not a simple question when you think about it. I don't know your current trading history but if you can't accept criticism and honest answers...

Oh, one more thing to consider. You never know who is telling the truth and who is lying. When I first joined, I thought everyone was a profitable trader. Now, I believe nobody. I only know whether someone is at my "level" of trading by the way they convey the same experiences I've had and the way they react to concepts. So, for example, if you are an unprofitable trader and you hear someone giving the same advice that you give and reacting in the same way to other peoples' statements and thoughts, then you know that person is also an unprofitable trader!

If you were offered two trading systems and you had to choose one of them to trade risking your own money:

trading system 1: promises to deliver 50 pips per week
trading system 2: promises to deliver 100% per week

you must choose one, by implication therefore you decide how much you risk on trading system 1 but this is already decided for you on trading system 2.

Which one do you choose?

If things are relative here, looking at the amount of abuse your initial question got, the abuse is going to go up exponentially on your question in choosing which trading system you would choose :)

If things are relative here, looking at the amount of abuse your initial question got, the abuse is going to go up exponentially on your question in choosing which trading system you would choose :)

i agree, but that's nothing new on these forums, actually the answer is very simple so we'll see.

at the bottom of the page are previous threads trying to cover this subject in various forms, all of which suffered the normal abuse (sometimes from the same individuals) with the very same arguments.

But I had a theory at the start which I will give Sunday afternoon and let you decide. No point continuing this discussion beyond Sunday as traders would prefer read something more useful market related from Monday. There have been 2 posts which have totally nailed my theory directly.

Provided no smart **** comes along and exposes it :cool:. I think it will give a final answer to all those threads below, but I would have preferred more moderator answers or legendary member answers.

however it may be a major let down for some but I doubt it would for newbie's...

at the bottom of the page are previous threads trying to cover this subject in various forms, all of which suffered the normal abuse (sometimes from the same individuals) with the very same arguments.

But I had a theory at the start which I will give Sunday afternoon and let you decide. No point continuing this discussion beyond Sunday as traders would prefer read something more useful market related from Monday. There have been 2 posts which have totally nailed my theory directly.

Provided no smart **** comes along and exposes it :cool:. I think it will give a final answer to all those threads below, but I would have preferred more moderator answers or legendary member answers.

however it may be a major let down for some but I doubt it would for newbie's...

sorry whats your research methodology once again, please?

the question itself stipulates the methodology

ok I understand
But just to make you aware that your motivation might lead you to the paradox, like for example: an atheist saying god bless after someone sneezes or merry christmas. Thoose who know will probably continue to ignore yourself.

ok I understand
But just to make you aware that your motivation might lead you to the paradox, like for example: an atheist saying god bless after someone sneezes or merry christmas. Thoose who know will probably continue to ignore yourself.

without a doubt

ok I understand

care to register the amount of pips per week that you achieve? if not, that is perfectly acceptable too.

care to register the amount of pips per week that you achieve? if not, that is perfectly acceptable too.

I dont count them, I just look at my P/L on the end of the month and if I am satisfied I ll continue, but if you really d like to know I think I have about +80 recently.

BC, some people don't do it for the pips.

They don't do it for the %.

They don't do it for the $$$$.

They do it for the

lulz.jpg

I think you're a lulz man - and it's been a profitable week.

BC, some people don't do it for the pips.

They don't do it for the %.

They don't do it for the $$$$.

They do it for the

lulz.jpg

I think you're a lulz man - and it's been a profitable week.

what the hell is a Lulz? is this supposed to play anything?

You asked about LULZ, and I kindly answered, and now you know something worth knowing !

The use of the site's search facility may provide further illumination

You asked about LULZ, and I kindly answered, and now you know something worth knowing !

The use of the site's search facility may provide further illumination

you did indeed, thank you kindly, my response was to the previous poster (once I knew what Lulz meant) not to you so apologies