How many pips does a pro rake in per week on average?

I do, I say pips, I say ticks, I say whatever I like,

why? because I can and it is free speech.

so if I cant refer to 'pips' what am i supposed to refer to the unit of measure as?, I feel your statement is so pedantic that it does not help the OP at all, he is a newbie.

Think you missed every point I was trying to make there unfortunately. Oh well....

Think you missed every point I was trying to make there unfortunately. Oh well....

gammajamma, I am not here to argue about every little miniscule thing, like some of the value takers on this forum, I just mearly answered the OP's question in a language he is most likely to understand,

I know what you are trying to say, its a shame you missed the points i was trying to make, unfortunately, but perhaps, you could answer the OP's question, in the format that a pro would then, and perhaps all the others that have posted so far but have skirted around giving an answer would follow suit also.

it is so destructive that it is not worth the bother posting on this forum.

Last edited:
Disagree. Yes it's about the money. But the points mean a lot more.

Who's the better trader the guy who takes 20 pips @ £1,000 or the guy who takes 1000 pips at £1.

Arguably the guy who takes 1000 pips.

20 pips is better if he's doing it consistently obviously. Of course it depends on risk/leverage of account.

The pros wouldn't talk in terms of 'pips'. They would talk in terms of expectancy, R/R on trades, sharpe ratios etc, but they don't say "I made 35 pips in cable today". Means nothing without a risk framework (plus no-one says pips) ;)

OP - This is the best answer I have read on this thread.
If you want to be a pro learn to talk like one ...

I do, I say pips, I say ticks, I say whatever I like,

why? because I can and it is free speech.

so if I cant refer to 'pips' what am i supposed to refer to the unit of measure as?, I feel your statement is so pedantic that it does not help the OP at all, he is a newbie.

Read the OP - question was what do the 'pros' (whatever that means) talk in terms of. And I wasn't being pedantic - I spelled out exactly how the wholesale market traders would more often look at their performance metrics. I stand by what I said - no-one at a large bank, hedge fund, reputable prop trading desk etc would sit down and go "You know what - I made fifty pips yesterday".

But in the end the question is just a distraction and the answer is irrelevant and unimportant. What other people are doing in ABSOLUTE terms should be no bellweather of what you are doing imho. Everyone is different. Everyone has different circumstances. That is precisely why people talk in terms of Sharpe ratios etc - at least it's a more relevant measure of performance. Pips doesn't even say what bloody currency pair / instrument we're talking about for gods sake. If I take 600 pips out of eur/gbp in a quiet day's trading you can bloody well all kneel down before me as I'm a goddamn trading GOD. If I do it in usd/zar it's just an ok day at the office (as the best range I think I ever saw on that puppy was 50 big figs or 5000 of your earth pips).

See where I'm going with this. Wooly question - wooly answer.

Read the OP - question was what do the 'pros' (whatever that means) talk in terms of.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The question was : How many pips does a pro rake in per week on average?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I wasn't being pedantic - I spelled out exactly how the wholesale market traders would more often look at their performance metrics. I stand by what I said - no-one at a large bank, hedge fund, reputable prop trading desk etc would sit down and go "You know what - I made fifty pips yesterday".

But in the end the question is just a distraction and the answer is irrelevant and unimportant. What other people are doing in ABSOLUTE terms should be no bellweather of what you are doing imho.

preciesly, so there is no point arguing about how people convey things, especially if one is not talking in anothers absolute terms

Everyone is different. Everyone has different circumstances.

so noone is wrong or right in my opinion, only what makes a positive bottom line over the long term

That is precisely why people talk in terms of Sharpe ratios etc - at least it's a more relevant measure of performance. Pips doesn't even say what bloody currency pair / instrument we're talking about for gods sake.

I did, if you look at my answer, you will find that i gave a bried snapshot of my R:R what currency pairs but ommitted my expectancy........

If I take 600 pips out of eur/gbp in a quiet day's trading you can bloody well all kneel down before me as I'm a goddamn trading GOD. If I do it in usd/zar it's just an ok day at the office (as the best range I think I ever saw on that puppy was 50 big figs or 5000 of your earth pips).

See where I'm going with this. Wooly question - wooly answer.

so why then, does a trader, need to talk the talk as opposed to walking the walk.

you want to be a 'pro trader' learn to talk like one - :confused:

my answers are highlighted, i am not here to argue with what others are doing here, or how others trade, good luck to all of you,

even you genics........

no OP, learn to walk like one......

I respectfully disagree Jiggly
This is a forum, no one can see how you walk (or your PnL)
You are judged solely by how you talk ... and if you want to be taken seriously learn the lingo too.

Just my 2c

I respectfully disagree Jiggly
This is a forum, no one can see how you walk (or your PnL)
You are judged solely by how you talk ... and if you want to be taken seriously learn the lingo too.

Just my 2c

your welcome,

no OP, learn to walk like one......

"...you can afford to be compassionate, lax, and courteous if, once in a while, when it is at least expected of you, but completely justified, you sue someone, or savage an enemy, just to show that you can walk the walk..."

is that what you mean?

"...you can afford to be compassionate, lax, and courteous if, once in a while, when it is at least expected of you, but completely justified, you sue someone, or savage an enemy, just to show that you can walk the walk..."

is that what you mean?

no, i mean talk is cheap, money buys houses....

jiggly, the point you are missing is that the whole concept of "how many pips do the pros make" is a competely poitnless question and one which only a new trader would be intrested in. we are trying to correct this :)

jiggly, the point you are missing is that the whole concept of "how many pips do the pros make" is a competely poitnless question and one which only a new trader would be intrested in. we are trying to correct this :)

you are not correcting anything,

the OP asked a question, and from all this sh*t fest, I have been the only person to attempt to give him a direct answer and that he has thanked me for, not anyone else, me.

he asked a question and I answered it.....to the best of my ability and to somewhat give him a satisfactory answer...period

the original question was : how many pips, on average does a pro make per week?

you come on here and ask : 'for a good week or a bad week?', and i replied, 'he is asking for the average'.

and your response to my reply was something to be admired.....well done, you have corrected everything.