"GREAT" Britain

Page 82.http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X13...by-the-csj-economic-dependency-working-group/

chapter three
‘Why Should We Work?’:
(Dis) incentivising Work
“If you can’t get a job that covers everything, then there’s no point.”
Focus group participant, Hackney (A4e client focus group, March 2008)
3.1 A question of economic incentives
If you are on Income Support and in council accommodation you are
laughing. If you are in a rented accommodation there is no way in hell
that you ever will go back to work because the rent in private property
is too much money. It is just ridiculous. They would never be able to
get a job that pays enough to cover the rent, let alone be able to afford
other things the family needs. Why would anyone go and get a job
when the benefits pay the rent. There are places where you pay rent of
£200 to 300 a week - and you will never be able to pay that.
Benefit Claimant1

there better be. I am pissed off with these *******s living off my hard earned tax bills

Id be very suprised if much actually changed.
The system will always be open to abuse.
You'd need to change people's mentalitys which is a much bigger task.

Britain was in a ****HOLE in 1979

Without North Sea oil and gas which paid for the over 3 Million unemployed, Britain would still have been in the same mess in my view. I am not saying the alternative would have been better but under Thatcher we lost all our manufacturing and most of our natural resource industries. This is one of the reasons why the UK has been hit much harder than France or Germany in the current economic crisis.

Paul

The UK benefits system is a niche to be exploited, people from all over the world are trying to get in on it.....exploiting niches is what us humans do....especially when there's easy money to be made.

Greed in all it's forms.

Anyway, this has all been obvious for years, why is it such a subject for heated debate right now at this present time?

Let me guess,....house prices have stagnated, banks are not giving away money anymore, people are up thier eyeballs in debt, losing thier jobs, losing thier homes....?

Life is not a team game folks, it's every man for himself, and if the benefit system pays.....can you really blame people for going that way?

Without North Sea oil and gas which paid for the over 3 Million unemployed, Britain would still have been in the same mess in my view. I am not saying the alternative would have been better but under Thatcher we lost all our manufacturing and most of our natural resource industries. This is one of the reasons why the UK has been hit much harder than France or Germany in the current economic crisis.

Paul

I concur 100%... (y)

Private gain - Social cost

How can we balance the two sides?

Taxation - Benefit

Remember without the poor and weak - there can be no rich or strong people.

We need empathy or compassion for our fellow man.

I reckon instead of talking about cutting services and social benefits we should be looking at raising PAYE and VAT across the board and simplify taxation system by getting rid of stealth and indirect taxation.

We need balance in the UK. Not polarisation. United we stand - devided we fall. People die for their country. What's wrong with a little tax?

We should be like the Swedes, Fins & Norwegians where 50% tax and superb social support and infrastructure is impecable.

Britain is Great! Some of the talk and ideas suggested here would take it to grave disparity in living standards and quality of life imo - similar to third world countries.

Recipee for yet another disaster.

I concur 100%... (y)

Private gain - Social cost

How can we balance the two sides?

Taxation - Benefit

Remember without the poor and weak - there can be no rich or strong people.

We need empathy or compassion for our fellow man.

I reckon instead of talking about cutting services and social benefits we should be looking at raising PAYE and VAT across the board and simplify taxation system by getting rid of stealth and indirect taxation.

We need balance in the UK. Not polarisation. United we stand - devided we fall. People die for their country. What's wrong with a little tax?

We should be like the Swedes, Fins & Norwegians where 50% tax and superb social support and infrastructure is impecable.

Britain is Great! Some of the talk and ideas suggested here would take it to grave disparity in living standards and quality of life imo - similar to third world countries.

Recipee for yet another disaster.

Do you think the lower/bottom end of the UK labour market serves a real purpose at the moment? If you do think it serves a purpose, then please explain, because as far as i can see it's not worth anything.

This is worrying, because the bottom end of the labour market is the supportive level by which all other levels rest on.

The UK labour market is rotting from the ground upwards, and the only cure for this is to scrap the lucrative benefits system.

Easily said but not so easily done because we are a caring and compassionate society.

Maybe our caring and compassion is our own undoing, because there are always going to be those who take advantage.

Where do you stop the rot?

Do you think the lower/bottom end of the UK labour market serves a real purpose at the moment? If you do think it serves a purpose, then please explain, because as far as i can see it's not worth anything.

Absolutely - the reason why we haven't had the wage inflation for the last decade + is precisely because of free movement of European labour and migrants. Without a doubt it has. Problem is migrant labour displaces the lower skilled bottom end of the market. However the top end has gone berserk - with rewards for failure (funnilly enough called bonuses)

This is worrying, because the bottom end of the labour market is the supportive level by which all other levels rest on.

Don't know what you mean by worrying? Job market is distinct not translative. Bottom market does not support the top. At least I don't think so - clarification needed?

The UK labour market is rotting from the ground upwards, and the only cure for this is to scrap the lucrative benefits system.

Rotting from the ground upwards? What does this mean? Sorry :eek: no comprehendo

Easily said but not so easily done because we are a caring and compassionate society.

Easily said and done in my opinion. What is more simpler than PAYE and VAT. Efficient tax, equally applied and easillly collected at source with pure clarity.

Maybe our caring and compassion is our own undoing, because there are always going to be those who take advantage. The free riders in our society are the elite *******s milking bonus culture - politicians, judiciary, financial sector and government civil servants and even the police. In some respects they have to as by comparrison to the private sector they get peanuts.

Where do you stop the rot?

The rot stops with us paying higher taxes and investing in manufacturing by taxing the financial sector who have benefited most out of this fiasco.

Bring capital punishment as well as legalising Euthanasia. I reckon we should be trying to capture some of the market from the Swiss.

Bit of corporal punishment and better family biased benefits are also likely to help the moral fabric.

Instead people are talking about cutting child benefit. :mad:

Our politicians and leaders a absolute dumb fockers. Cut services instead of raising taxes. ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG APPROACH. I FEEL IT IN MY BONES WITH EVERY OUNCE OF WHOLE EXISTENCE.

The devide will get bigger with more moral abuse and break down of our social fabric.

... and for what...

So we can have a few more measly pounds in our pockets to buy **** we don't need to impress the poor *******s who have even less.

The rot stops with us paying higher taxes

RUBBISH! SO we pay the bloody illegal immigrants and higher benefits!

Bring capital punishment ( YES YES YES)

Instead people are talking about cutting child benefit. :mad:
lot of families are well off, so why pay them! only pay to the poor!

mate i know many fockers, who can work, can find jobs, and jobs are available! but will never work, because they are better off on the focking state benefits!

my son graduated last year, could not find the job he wanted....
tried for 3 months then got "a job" which paid, and now hoping to get a better job

he is PAYING taxes for the fockers who decide to stay at home!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10272706.stm

The media has a duty not create problems and fuss, cos it is they who will ruin the recovery.
When you are ill, you need to take bitter medicine.

they will focking go and interview people against the cuts, against child benefit being withdrawn from the rich.
But why do they not go and interview and put across the views of the majority "silent" who would not mind the bitter pill

Child trust funds are to be stopped, fair enough. But one area i think should be absolutely hammered is the prison service, why should lags have any kind of luxuries?

6 to a cell, a bucket to p!ss in, three basic meals a day. Hows that for a saving?

Get rid of those disgusting human rights laws that only benefit criminals and wrongdoers, that's another saving that costs the country millions in legal aid etc.

Start by hitting the worst in society.

has anyone noticed how much the Alpari logo at the top of the page looks like the iconic wavelength image of Joy Division ?
now they were GREAT British !

mate i know many fockers, who can work, can find jobs, and jobs are available! but will never work, because they are better off on the focking state benefits!

my son graduated last year, could not find the job he wanted....
tried for 3 months then got "a job" which paid, and now hoping to get a better job

he is PAYING taxes for the fockers who decide to stay at home!

Yes true but as CV pointed out it just doesn't add up to work because the ends don't meet up. We need a workable solution.

Also - you need to re-invest in manufacturing. It will cost a damn site more re-establishing world beating industries than what it cost to tear them apart.

There is far more wastage and inefficient usage than what is claimed by the benefit system abusers. Look at GNP and see how much is used up by benefits.

Looking after the elderly by the NHS is likely to be a far bigger bill than most.

WE HAVE TO PAY MORE TAXES. All of us in a fair way.

Cutting services is the worst path to take inevitably one will be cutting the income of lower paid workers anyway and thus further compounding the issues.

Think about it.

People who work have a far more happy and dynamic life than benefit abusers anyway.

I'd be brain dead if I lived off benefits. Cabbage comes to mind. And that's how people become long termed unemployed. Down a slippery slope of absolute dredge.

Originally Posted by D70
Could you report your friend please?

I wouldn't be much of a friend then, would I, lol.

Redart,

I dont find it particularly funny.

If you want to support his illegal claim of benefits I will have to report you to the benefit fraud office.

You know it is illegal to knowlingly harbour a benefit cheat?

May I suggest you read through this website before you break any further laws.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...editsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/DG_10014876

WE HAVE TO PAY MORE TAXES. All of us in a fair way.
Agreed but raising taxes will also dampen demand and business growth is essential to helping this to happen as taxes will natually increase with more growth.

People who work have a far more happy and dynamic life than benefit abusers anyway.
Where is the data to back this up and how do you know ? Most working people I know complain about their jobs and that includes doctors, accountants, lawyers as well as those in unskilled work. The stories I hear about benefit abusers shows that they seem very happy by comparison until they get caught.

Paul

Redart,

I dont find it particularly funny.

If you want to support his illegal claim of benefits I will have to report you to the benefit fraud office.

You know it is illegal to knowlingly harbour a benefit cheat?

May I suggest you read through this website before you break any further laws.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...editsAndOtherSupport/BenefitFraud/DG_10014876

haha.
Good luck reporting a 'screename' on a forum to the benefits fraud office because he has a friend or 2 who are claiming benefits when they shouldn't!
If the interent was that efficiient, then someone like spanish89 who has been braggin for years about all the benefits he is claiming and who said he pretends to be looking for work would have been caught years ago! Dont be silly. Chance of prosecution would be axactly 0%!

Redart - when the feds come knocking today, tell them you made up the story about your friend :)

Im not supporting benefit cheats, but come on!