Final Interview - What to wear???

ok, maybe not easier, but certainly more productive.... in short, figure out exactly what it is you want to do, compile a list of every single firm in the UK that has people working in that field. Then, visit each of their websites to see which are hiring. Smarten up your CV, write a good cover letter and send off to each one that is. Those that aren't, send a speculative email asking to keep your details on file, and where appropriate ask about the possibility of unpaid experience. It might be time-consuming, but it's better than asking people on T2W if they'll hire you for running around in a pig outfit.

ok, maybe not easier, but certainly more productive.... in short, figure out exactly what it is you want to do, compile a list of every single firm in the UK that has people working in that field. Then, visit each of their websites to see which are hiring. Smarten up your CV, write a good cover letter and send off to each one that is. Those that aren't, send a speculative email asking to keep your details on file, and where appropriate ask about the possibility of unpaid experience. It might be time-consuming, but it's better than asking people on T2W if they'll hire you for running around in a pig outfit.

It's easy to say that, but as we all learn in technical analysis/voodoo/homeopathy what works for some may not work for others. In this case, I think dancing around like a pig might just work for Aaron.

I would actually telephone with regard to the speculative ones, rather than email; I researched and contacted (or tried to contact) almost every single firm on the prop directory in Traderpedia. Fortunately I landed the first job I interviewed for, but I had put in a lot of preparation before that stage, which undoubtedly helped me get where I am now.

It's easy to say that, but as we all learn in technical analysis/voodoo/homeopathy what works for some may not work for others. In this case, I think dancing around like a pig might just work for Aaron.

True, but in the current job market, I don't think it really matters who you are if you're outside of the top 5% of applicants - it's a numbers game, pure and simple.

I am not in any way, shape or form including myself in the top 5% of applicants, before some smartarse starts giving me grief.

1) I cannot afford to do unpaid work as I have bills to pay.
2) I've spoken to everyone in the world and done exactly what you said (although I think I'll be doing it again over the next few months)
3) He offered first
4) The interviews have dried up to a point where I've been reduced to thinking "Piggin' It" on T2W is worth a shot.

Don't worry I have no pride. I find pride to be extremely expensive.

I wasn't intending that to be harsh, and if you've done all that then I'd probably consider moving back in with the folks (if that's an option) and beefing up my qualifications/trading experience/both.

Incidentally I did get someone from trade2win an interview at my place and they turned out to have been economical with the truth... So am a bit jaded.

Have also got someone from my office who was moving to ireland a place in another person's office who I've met through here, so it's not all bad...

I wasn't intending that to be harsh, and if you've done all that then I'd probably consider moving back in with the folks (if that's an option) and beefing up my qualifications/trading experience/both.

Its not an option. I have three little bros taking up all the space at home lol. I'm gonna go for the quals this coming year after I've paid my holiday off (had to take the gf away for her 21st). Problem is they cost money. I asked my boss to forward me the lump sums I need and I'll offset it against my performance bonuses and he turned me down. I calculated that my work has put over 100k net profits in his pocket in a 25 month period I've been here and I'm quite good at my job and I have a good relationship with the best clients so all in all he's not keen on giving me a helping hand out of the door lol.

fwiw Aaron, I am pretty confident you will get a trading job at some point, you're determined enough and I think you come over worse online than you would in real life...

I meant, for a living, but good luck with your plan. I agree with Dave, you'll get there in the end, even if GJ has to put you on the payroll just to save his sanity

SL I meant I have a plan to get into trading for a living lol.

Also wearing GJ down is another of my many contingency plans that run concurrent with the main startegy.

Last edited:
Yeah but maybe having Aaron where he is now is the only thing KEEPING me sane ;)

fwiw I also wouldn't be surprised if you land a job somewhere doing something, but as I've said a thousand times lately, right now really isn't a great time. Give it a couple years maybe and a lot of people will wanna beef up again probably. People have such short memories about risk events it's untrue. LTCM / Asia / Russia crisis was going to be the end of the world right? right?

gotta love the markets sometimes. Seems a mre few months since Goldmans went cap in hand to the TARP now they're banging out 3.44bn in one quarter! Oh yeah and a bigger daily trading risk. can't make this stuff up.