any tips for interview?

tarchiii

i have just sent my resume to Tibra, hope they will contact me soon...

i have applied for another two graduate trader position before, one is a prop firm, one is hedge fund. I passed both their maths and logic test, but I think I didn't do well enough to pass the interviews.

The diffculties i had for those two unsuccessful interview are different. For the hedge fund one, they trade derivatives. I got stuck when they asked me to describe a certain event which shows I am a strong and aggresive kind of person. Friends around me all feel i'm a strong and sometimes aggressive girl but i really don't know how should i show that in an interview. so They have sent me the 'unfortunate' email already.

For the prop firm one, they trade futures. it was only a short interview about 15 mins. I didn't manage to give great answers to all their questions about the links between sharemarkets and foreign exchange. I'm still waiting for their reply.

so interivew has been a big problem for me.....can anyone give me some tips or advice on how to pass the interview? i really appreciate it.

besides, is it harder for girls in becoming a trader?

thanks for your reply GammaJammer.

I guess since I still find trading jobs interest me more than actuarial job (i just finished my actuarial science degree), I'll keep following the markets. so if i get another interview i can be better prepared and i may sound wittier.

:) You are so right that interview can be very random... and would you give me some examples of the sort of things i should say if they ask me what i can add to the firm?

Have an idea before you go into the interview of a few key things;

1) who the company are - what their priorities are;
2) What the industry is about - future trends etc
3) What YOU can add to this

This stuff really isn't rocket science. And first impressions are hard to get past - interviews are more random than you think.

As for whether it's harder being a girl, I'm not one, so I can't really speak with authority but statistics obviously bear this out so I can't really argue with that.

At the end of the day, interviews are usually about personalities. And the smaller the team, the more important it is that a new hire is a good personal fit for a firm.

Hope that helps.

GJ

p.s. just ignore everyonerich. Every school has a class clown. In this case neither funny nor valuable. I've not seen a member on here who knows so little about trading and the markets stick his nose into so many threads (usually spouting pointless cr@p as evidenced here). Classic textbook troll.

Last edited:
hey i m having a telephone interview this Thursday. With a trader from a prop firm. Does anyone know what sort of questions he s going to ask me?

you can give them some examples to answer their questions
so you should prepare something(examples)
your strength,your weakness, challenge in your life and how do you deal with it
describe a time when you face diffculties?
these questions are usually asked.

you can give them some examples to answer their questions
so you should prepare something(examples)
your strength,your weakness, challenge in your life and how do you deal with it
describe a time when you face diffculties?
these questions are usually asked.

thanks for your advice freorange!(y)
I had a HR interview with TIBRA yesterday, and I'm now waiting, very anxiously, for them to get back to me, hopefully with some good news. I asked the HR lady about how she reckon i would suit the position and i got some positive feedback there.
really hope i'll get a chance to have a technical interview.....

thanks for your advice freorange!(y)
I had a HR interview with TIBRA yesterday, and I'm now waiting, very anxiously, for them to get back to me, hopefully with some good news. I asked the HR lady about how she reckon i would suit the position and i got some positive feedback there.
really hope i'll get a chance to have a technical interview.....

good luck :clap:

it s with optiver. the position is in amsterdam and i m in munich. i already spoke with the hr lady. the intervioew on thursday will be with a trader, that s what she told me at least. what can i expect? i ve never had such an interview before so i m a bit nervous

plus how important is english to them? i m not a native speaker of english but i m ok at it i guess.

hey
i was scheduled for an interview on thursday, but the hr lady is rescheduling it all the time. is that normal? is that some sort of test? i called them almost 10 times now so i dont know how to proceed