fancy trading from barcelona, anyone?

After my trial with TradeTheNews, I'm not that impressed, MNI is a better service but too pricey. TTN is okay but lacking in the focus, useful orientation and commentary that I felt came with MNI. Most of it's useful content could be had from CNBCand Yahoo premium. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

On a technical front, I think I've found a solution. I would run TS2000i on all trading workstations (PC built for approx. £350) and feed eSignal data from a server (this utility can be had and set up for a very reasonable price from the people who develop Multicharts software). They also provide remote support). Quality data, quality charting (with plenty of scope for custom analytics and strategy development) which I own and would supply and hardware that I have had built for a low cost (I already have two of these machines). I also have an IT advisor who would help with the installation of everything. Workstations would then be rented out at so much and all the trader would have to do is pay a month in advance. Looking pretty reasonable so far (GTIS and depth for FX traders from eSignal delivered via TS2000i). The news aspect needs to be solved. Perhaps if the floor warranted it Thompson R could offer something reasonable. A ver.

phatfish

well what is happening in barcelona?.

I still hope this can be a runner, although my plan to make the break in spring may well have to be postponed. I'm going to say sometime next year. I've been encouraged by the enthusiastic responses from those who feel it is a good idea and would be willing to come onboard.

I've posted approximate costs already but if something was to be set up then it's clear that a simple office space with a fast and reliable broadband and possibly a news service would be the general requirement; with equipment being brought in by individual traders and their own accounts being traded. Although, as I've already stated, I could help with software and equipment if needed (this is not a play for profiteering but a genuine helping hand to help get things set up). I trade US index futures and if the office was open from 7-9pm it would serve well for fx and euro futures to also be traded. It could also become a very useful resource centre for traders.

I'm going to Barcelona in March for a couple of days to look over the basics and get a clearer idea of costs. I know some very good cheap, clean and central accommodation from my previous trips and would warmly welcome any chance to meet up with anyone interested for a chat over a few drinks.

Seasonal best wishes to all

phatfish

I still hope this can be a runner, although my plan to make the break in spring may well have to be postponed. I'm going to say sometime next year. I've been encouraged by the enthusiastic responses from those who feel it is a good idea and would be willing to come onboard.

I've posted approximate costs already but if something was to be set up then it's clear that a simple office space with a fast and reliable broadband and possibly a news service would be the general requirement; with equipment being brought in by individual traders and their own accounts being traded. Although, as I've already stated, I could help with software and equipment if needed (this is not a play for profiteering but a genuine helping hand to help get things set up). I trade US index futures and if the office was open from 7-9pm it would serve well for fx and euro futures to also be traded. It could also become a very useful resource centre for traders.

I'm going to Barcelona in March for a couple of days to look over the basics and get a clearer idea of costs. I know some very good cheap, clean and central accommodation from my previous trips and would warmly welcome any chance to meet up with anyone interested for a chat over a few drinks.

Seasonal best wishes to all

phatfish

Hey Phatfish,

I lived in BCN for 5 years and set up a commodity brokerage there a few years ago. What info would be of use to you?

Great idea Phatfish, hope it works out for you. Hope you don't mind me butting into your thread but I've come up with a similar idea and thought some of the readers here may be interested. Mine is for traders who can trade from their laptops and don't need the infrastructure of an office. It is doing a "trader's tour" of 1-3 month working holidays around the world: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-home/87654-any-interest-traders-tour.html#post1055750

Hey Phatfish,

I lived in BCN for 5 years and set up a commodity brokerage there a few years ago. What info would be of use to you?

Hey Macklefinch

Im thinking that a smallish office for around 5-10 people would be a good place to start. I've seen the range of prices for serviced accommodation but I'm wondering if would be better to go directly through a BCN based agency to get a better deal? I think that all we'd need is a good business broadband line and I don't know what the charges for this will be. From then it would be bring your own equipment and trade your own account. In other words I'd like to spend a couple of days over there and get a more accurate costing. Have you got any ideas?

Thanks, phatfish

Great idea Phatfish, hope it works out for you. Hope you don't mind me butting into your thread but I've come up with a similar idea and thought some of the readers here may be interested. Mine is for traders who can trade from their laptops and don't need the infrastructure of an office. It is doing a "trader's tour" of 1-3 month working holidays around the world: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-home/87654-any-interest-traders-tour.html#post1055750

Hey bfree,

sounds like a nice idea. Apartments are pricier (as I'm sure you know) the shorter the lease, so for a month or two for a biggish appartment it's going to be pricey and you'd have to make sure that you had firm commitments from other participants before signing anything. Also, there is the issue of 'living together' which could put some off. but it sounds like a busman's holiday and good fun if it can be organised.

phatfish

Hey bfree,

sounds like a nice idea. Apartments are pricier (as I'm sure you know) the shorter the lease, so for a month or two for a biggish appartment it's going to be pricey and you'd have to make sure that you had firm commitments from other participants before signing anything. Also, there is the issue of 'living together' which could put some off. but it sounds like a busman's holiday and good fun if it can be organised.

phatfish

Hi phatfish, do you have any news about Barcelona?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I still like the idea. Problem is trading is a precarious business: not too many are succesful or their careers are short lived. So, getting genuine parties together that are profitable would be difficult, I think. The other idea is to just get a basic arcade office up and running and cater for casual traders and those who would like to become professional through some form of teaching arrangement. I'd like to do this: offer coaching and premises to trade from but for the time being I'm stuck in the uk for personal reasons. I've not given up on the idea though, and will post if there is any development.

All the best,
phatfish

I might be interested in joining a trading room in Barca. Could you update me on your plans / findings

I just got back from barcelona.. amazing city. The plan for a trading room in barcelona is a must!

For sure, I expect to have saved 50 000 USD by the end of 2013. First then it will be current for me to trade from barca

Hello all,

I found this old thread via Google. Anyone trading in Barcelona now? What happened?

I am not so sure if I would be interested in a shared environment. I like the idea and I am tired of solitude, but I don`t think I could afford the cost in addition to renting an apartment.

I am currently based in Norway, but with winter setting in and my current lease running out, I`m tempted to flee the country. Barcelona is one of the cities I`m considering and it would be nice to get in touch with other traders living there if I decide to move over.

Regards,

Johnny