Dow 2007

Another year? Lets try three months first!

Stick out for another year mate and next year you'll be closing them when you are +300 up.

I've yet to have a trade which made as much as 300 pips. However, I placed my first day trade on the FTSE under a year ago. Around 51 weeks actually. I've just looked at my equity curve since I started trading the "pin" bars on the FX. I think I've found something which works, and I'm sticking to it. Other methods and markets can wait. I can be more disciplined in the FX markets than I can be in the Dow it would appear. I'll investigate, hypothesise, and backtest, but I'm not risking a cent on other markets or other methods any more.

Rathcoole suggested I reflect on my last year of trading. I'm going to do that this week. I'm going to dig out some old account statements, and try and recall some of my more memorable trades. I'm also going to look at some lessons I have learned along the way.

Looking to the future, I think it is about time I learned some discipline. The following is my new plan.

For the next three months, I am going to only trade the "pin" bar setups, on timeframes of H1 and upwards. I will not risk more than 10% of my account balance on any given trade (some would say this is too much, but on backtesting the win % is > 80 and I'm trading a small account). None of these trades will be placed in the Dow. For these setups, I will use only the FX markets.

Each weekend (I have other things in my life besides trading, so this won't always be posted here at the same day and time), I will post my review of the weeks trades in my journal. This will include weekly P&L stats, my pre trade plan, trade management, and my exit. More importantly it will include an analysis of how I managed the trade, the risk, and myself. Deviations and rule breaking will also be dealt with should it occur.

At the end of the three months, I'll review my trading for consistency, discipline, and profitability. If the results are deficient in one of these three areas, I'll seriously consider packing it in. If the results are reasonable, I'll consider increasing my account size using some of last years profits, and reducing the % risk per trade appropriately (although the £ risk will be more).

This is three months with one market, one setup, and timeframes > 1 hour. There is no rule against me taking a setup on a daily or weekly timeframe and holding it for a week, but I will only be taking > H1 setups.

I'm putting my trading career on the line here.
I've found a system, timeframe, and market (well, group of markets) which has made me fairly consistent profits with less stress and less commission / spread. If I continue to have a jack rabbit mind, and am unable to stick to the simple plan outlined above, I don't have what it takes to make it as a trader. I have received a lot of good advice and valuable assistance from some truly great folk here, who have given freely of their time and knowledge to help me. I feel I owe you all something for your patience. I would like to give you a little consistency. I might not make money. I might bottle a trade and exit too soon sometimes. I can't promise to always stick to my prewritten plan when in a trade. However, what I should be able to do is to stick to the market and method for three months. No fiddling, no deciding to trade 5m dow, 1m S&P, or 15m Bunds. No new systems or methods. Something which I have traded profitably before.

It is getting late now, so I'll post a cleaner and more concise plan on my journal tomorrow. I make no promises here, and I may let some of you down, but I will endeavour to stick to the above. If I cannot, then I'll pack it in. I'll have made some pocket change and learned a lot, but I'd know then that I have no future in this. If I want to accumulate equity and become consistent, I need to pull the finger out and be professional.

(yes, I'm still interested in the Dow, and firewalkers system, but I am right to stick to the pins for now. I can mess about testing that on paper, but I'll keep that to myself for the time being - the important thing here is the forex trades)

Thanks for reading! Sorry this is a little offtopic.

You'll get 2% return on your premium bonds with a max limit of £20K...

I was just using those as an example of what people who don't know what to do with their money would buy! Better places than that. I was making a bad joke about being bad with trading (and correspondingly bad with money management) that if I wasn't trading I'd put the money in "premium" bonds. Even my current account pays more interest than that, even after the greedy tax man takes his bit!

The 10 day MA is nudging the 50 day and should pass it tomorrow given an up day today. Nice and Bullish!
13440 looks like a critical point, break that level and we are going up.
We will know before Friday.

The 10 day MA is nudging the 50 day and should pass it tomorrow given an up day today. Nice and Bullish!
13440 looks like a critical point, break that level and we are going up.
We will know before Friday.

I'm short at the moment. Target of 13100. Mental SL 13250

I think if 13170s don't hold then 13100 and 13000 still to be tested for starters.

On the hourlies we may have a H&S reversal to the upside if the neckline at 13250 is broken moving up and then becomes support for any falls.

Good trading everyone. :)

just tested bottom of right shoulder of inv head and shoulders and bounced,break yesterdays high and up we go-fast!.

in long again 198 dec fut holding for late evening or 553

Hi DC,

Do you have stops on this trade or are you hedging?

God forbid we drop to 13k how would you manage this trade without a stop - I am genuinely interested.

I am long at 240 now. We hit at least a short term bottom yesterday.

Stopped out for -35.
Should have waited until the auction results at 10:00 EST.

Will review after the dust settles but am still looking to make back my last 2 losing trades in spades. Timing is everything.

I downloaded meatatrader4 from forexltd a year or so ago, because I like metatrader charts and you could also chart the dow on there with forexltd. I customized all my dow charts but haven't used meatatrader for nearly a year now.

Now when I open it, my chart prices dont move and are showing the prices from 6 months ago? Anyone know how I fix this?

Forget that last post. I think my account had 'ran out'. I just re-registered and its all working again.

Stopped out for -35.
Should have waited until the auction results at 10:00 EST.

Will review after the dust settles but am still looking to make back my last 2 losing trades in spades. Timing is everything.

On my capital spreads 1 hour line charts we are at the H&S neckline at 13230... Looks like a possible reversal may be taken place.

I would wait for 270 to be touched coupled with testing of support around the neckline or 13240 according to my text book reversal.

Any move upwards above 250-270 is likely to be a possible rise to 13400+.

Be careful guys as I think the 13000 target may have expired with the 13089 last night.

I've closed my short pos for a small profit and I am now flat.

The Santa rally just may not happen this year

Bah humbug

I'm seeing the break out from the neckline to the upside taking place now. 13250 almost broken. That's on 1 hour line charts...

I'd say a target of 13375 for starters - based on text book H&S.

Based on my adversity to going longs I shall watch. I think I need a hole in mi head sometimes. :cry:

Good luck everyone. :)

Long at 228 and 233 everyone else might want to head for the hills based on my record.