Do you admit to being a Trader?

FetteredChinos said:
soc,

were i married, i would want to spend the majority of my waking and sleeping hours with her, rather than locked in a room with a flashing red light. (hmm, hang on a moment :eek:)

regardless of how she were perceived by the rest of society, i would love her implicity.the unwritten rule of conduct you refer to is simply chauvinistic. who cares what other people think, or how they think she should behave.

Got me in tears with this one FC :cry:

I can vaguely remember feeling like that, about 10 years ago :LOL:

Going back to the original question....

Worrying about what people think of me is the least of my worries.

The only person who actually doesn't totally agree with me is a mate of mine whom I go into spread betting with. I introduced it to him and him being a lover of fruit machines took to it like a duck... etc. Anyhow, after losing plenty he gave it up and regardless of how well I'm now doing, always remembers the old days and is constantly suggesting I getting a real job. Pah, reformed gamblers! Everyone else that i care about is perfectly happy with what I do and don't give it much thought.

So yes, I'm more than happy to tell people I trade currencies for a living. I earn my living this way and pay my way and my bills get paid. Whether people are thinking behind my back I'm just a gambler then its their problem. I'd rather do this than sit in an office all day and have to fill out forms to be allowed to go on holiday. The benefits totally outweigh the risk!

When people ask, I tell them I'm a Futures Trader and that I'm frigging frucking proud of it too! Of course most people think that I've just told them I'm a member of the SAS, that's how much they relate. I've been accused of being a complete breadhead and that I should do something more positive and contribute to society, after I told them that shelf stacking though worthy was beneath my high intellect ( I do snobbery very well by the way), I told them to go take a flying f***, and that I don't do 'normal'. This is why a stuck it out to be a self taught self funded trader, I am arrogant and know that I'm better than 99% of the human species. Without that hateful streak of superiority, doubts would of set in and felled me. Of course if I want to expand my circle of friends, I will have to join a converted leper colony, with the rest of the up themselves traders. ;)

If you said you are a CFDs and futures trader to someone, would they know what you mean? I know if I said that they wouldn't have clue and think I was a bit mad cos I was talking gibberish so why bother!

Racer said:
If you said you are a CFDs and futures trader to someone, would they know what you mean? I know if I said that they wouldn't have clue and think I was a bit mad cos I was talking gibberish so why bother!

Yes but Ziggy is mad Racer, but very funny. lol. You could explain it to them by saying that you were like that Nick Leeson Bloke who brought down Barings they would understand then.(not)

I resent that last remark! The nuttier I get the saner I feel. Take that to your shrink.

Hi schoe,
To quote me ole mum

"You would stop worrying what people thought about you if you only knew how seldom they did."

The thing is 95% of traders (ie unsuccesfull traders, who you could argue are therefore not traders) are just gambling.

Therefore it is not unreasonable to expect people to think of you as a gambler.

Infact even when done properly trading is highly addictive for a lot of people.

donaldduke said:
The thing is 95% of traders (ie unsuccesfull traders, who you could argue are therefore not traders) are just gambling.

Therefore it is not unreasonable to expect people to think of you as a gambler.

Infact even when done properly trading is highly addictive for a lot of people.
Donaldduke,you are absolutely correct in what you say, may I add the following comments:~

The percentage you mention is likely to be even higher than 95%, and likely to be as high as 99.5 % . This is because the vast majority do not know what they are doing at all. It is highly addictive to this very high percentage because they view it as a game of chance and not as a structured discipline. Additionally when done properly I would say than rather than it being addictive, it carries a compulsion because of the intellectual challenge that it yields to the consistently successful few which in turn yields satisfaction in which the profits are not the main consideration but the sheer enjoyment of having total and absolute mastery, and that, is the buzz.

Kind Regards.

SOCRATES said:
it carries a compulsion because of the intellectual challenge that it yields to the consistently successful few which in turn yields satisfaction in which the profits are not the main consideration but the sheer enjoyment of having total and absolute mastery, and that, is the buzz.

Kind Regards.

Maybe this is true. And you could bet (if so) that the really sucessful ones would get such a buzz that (if they bothered with message boards at all) they wouldn't spend vast ammounts of their time picking petty fights with those they considered so beneath them.

So welcome to the masses Soc. Hopefully one day you'll get to where you want to be.

UTB

As usual, you post a lot of nonsense, even when you are sober. These petty fights you talk about are not petty at all. They occur because there is, additional to your own, a lot of nonsense bandied about which I do not approve of. This is because there are many decent individuals who ought not to be further confused by stubborn and ill informed people making pronouncements about that which, to judge by their replies to incisive and pointed questioning at a professional level, leads one to conclude that what they know about what they persist in arguing about, can be written on the back of a postage stamp with space still left over.

Now, take that as read, and don't persist in answering back with your usual postings, there's a
good gentleman.

SOCRATES said:
As usual, you post a lot of nonsense, even when you are sober. These petty fights you talk about are not petty at all. They occur because there is, additional to your own, a lot of nonsense bandied about which I do not approve of. This is because there are many decent individuals who ought not to be further confused by stubborn and ill informed people making pronouncements about that which, to judge by their replies to incisive and pointed questioning at a professional level, leads one to conclude that what they know about what they persist in arguing about, can be written on the back of a postage stamp with space still left over.

Now, take that as read, and don't persist in answering back with your usual postings, there's a
good gentleman.

Unfortunately, you don't have the monopoly on posting POINTLESS replies to others.

Take a look at the responses you receive - you're in a world of your own.

You are annoyed by posts from others who you have decided have nothing to offer. You CLAIM (and this is very debatable) to be some kind of expert, and post NOTHING of worth. Which is worse?

I will leave it there with you. I don't have limitless time to argue on message boards. I know I have much to learn. But better that than being a wannabe trading guru who in reality is an unpaid message board stalker.

UTB

Blades

What does UTB stand for ?

I can only think of "Under the Boardwalk".

You know, by The Drifters.