Can I make it as a trader?

As I say, not always this clean and easy, but what 4 perfect examples !

good luck, hope this helps,
r_e

Thanks rathcoole_exile, I shall go and do some backtesting with the weekly and FTP pivots and see which works out the best.
Although my previous system did alright it was a lot of hard work, if there is an easier way I'm all for it.

I think this stats a little strong. I know the old age saying 95% of people lose money but then I think a lot of people just blindly punt on spread bet accounts. Its just a new form of gambling the same as playing roulette or poker online. If you actually think about it only the top 5% of any industry can really earn a living out of whatever they're doing.

More than enough people go off to try and pursue a career as a rock star or a footie player or even just starting your own business and only a very small % make it. The thing with trading is that everyone thinks they can do it and people seem to think that they can read a book and an online tutorial and its game on, off to start a hedge fund. Only 5% make it because only 5% will crack on and work hard putting the hours in As appose to the other 90% who are too busy thinking about what they are going to buy when they make their millions. Just my 2 cents.

I think that 5% consistently profitable figure goes down the longer the sample is for. Being consistently profitable for 1/2 years is not enough, after 10/15 years of changing political landscapes, booms and busts, geopolitical conflicts and other market influencing events, and if you're still there and thriving, then you can call yourself consistently profitable. I hasten to add i'm not in that 0.1% category yet, although i've been 'profitable' as a private trader for 2 years now.

Last edited:
if I was you I'd STOP right now and change track a bit. get your remaining money into an Alpari Micro account where you can trade at 10p per point, this way you will be able to exercise proper money management. ie. 2% risk per trade ~100 points at the start (based on £550)

Morning all,

New trade opened this morning.
Current balance £546 (-9.75%)
Buy EUR/USD at 12279 with 50pip stop risking 4.6% of account.
Target above 12377

I've been ironing out some rules for using the pivots (Cam) and this is the first live trade using them. A bit rash maybe but I've done some further backtesting and ironed out a few more glitches in my rules. For me there is nothing like having real money on the line to discover where the psychological problems in a system might be. I consider it my tution fees.

cheers

You had a long PIN overnight on the 4 hour chart, was good for 120 or so pips, looks like a short PIN is now forming on the 1 hour so probably a pullback coming.

if I was you I'd STOP right now and change track a bit. get your remaining money into an Alpari Micro account where you can trade at 10p per point, this way you will be able to exercise proper money management. ie. 2% risk per trade ~100 points at the start (based on £550)

Spot on. Don't risk more than 2 pct on a trade, the key here is longevity.

Morning all,

Target above 12377

I've been ironing out some rules for using the pivots (Cam) and this is the first live trade using them. A bit rash maybe but I've done some further backtesting and ironed out a few more glitches in my rules. For me there is nothing like having real money on the line to discover where the psychological problems in a system might be. I consider it my tution fees.

cheers

Why are you buying euros? Surely there's a safer trade. Specially as its gone up 130 ticks higher than the low last night. I would be looking for an entry to sell it...

I mentioned this before... EUR/USD is in a downtrend, look for rallies to sell, not dips to buy (and certainly not rallies to buy).

If you are risking 5 pct of your account per trade (which is far too high) and are aiming for a 2:1 or a 3:1 ratio, you could easily end up with 10 losers in a row which will be devastating for your account.

In fact, your risk of ruin is statistically very high with the amount you are risking and the style of trading.

You've said "thanks for the advice on this thread" a few times, but you're not taking any of it.. your "tuition fee" is simply paying for info that people here have already provided.

found this -

When asked by Jack Schwager what is the one act most traders must do to become successful, Bruce Kovner - perhaps the greatest hedge fund manager ever and a man who has beaten the markets for more than 30 years and to whom other hedge fund managers entrust their savings - simply said," Undertrade, undertrade, undertrade." Prodded further by Schwager, he explained, "Whatever you think your position ought to be, cut it at least in half. My experience with novice traders is that they trade three to five times too big. They are taking five- to ten-percent risks on a trade when they should be risking one- to two-percent."

Unfortunately, this is the advice most retail traders roundly ignore. It's not exciting to trade for pennies and nickels - far more glamorous to try to make $1,000 a day. Yet that is the likeliest path to ruin. After having watched thousands of accounts trade, I can unequivocally say that the biggest reason for the failure of most retail traders is not lack of knowledge, nor is it the inability to understand the nuances of the market or poor technical analysis skills. The number one reason is over-leverage.

It makes me laugh how you assume that you will remain profitable.

Why wouldn't BlackSwan remain profitable out of interest?
Is it not possible to remain profitable for any great amount of time in trading?
cheers

Previous trade was stopped out for -50pips

New trade entered (No.4)
Balance £521 (-13.88%)

Sell at 12220 with a 50pip stoploss amount risked 4.8% of account
Current target 12161

Attachments

• chart9.png
    chart9.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 159
Looks like you've cut your risk/reward down to 1:1 more or less, this means you'll have a higher percentage of winners... good luck.

New trade entered (No.4)
Balance £521 (-13.88%)

Current target 12161

I think you're stopped out on that one as well at 1.2270 if I read your post correctly

New trade entered (No.4)
Balance £521 (-13.88%)

Current target 12161

Can you do the trade with me? I'll just hedge you if i want to...?

Morning all,

Target above 12377

cheers

This is a crazy trade!
with trades like this you may as well just give your money to the spreadbet co's
it pains me to see it.
Please contact me I will try to help you when I have finished my trading. If you wish.
Don't worry I am not trying to sell anything , Just trying to help in the spirit of making T2W a helpful place

Last edited:
Hi Belize,

Im impressed you’ve started a journal so early in your career and are willing to take the wide range of views your postings are sure to bring. I hope to soon start an online journal and back date it to keep it up to date by posting up my offline journal.

Just a 2 cents from my own (short) experience. I have found that if I get into a trade without having WRITTEN down the following things that trade will generally loose and I will kick myself for getting into it and then kick myself not really knowing why. They become more impulse trades. Writing these things down helps me take a little Condor Moment to think and then if the trade ends up going against me I can look at what I’ve written and either think about my reasons for getting into the trade or I can still stand by my original assumptions knowing that the market can go any way.

I find writing down these things helps me to rationalise my trade, it should help you but above all it will help the more experienced members of this forum understand your reasons and give you help. Without knowing your reasons they cant help you at all.

- Long term view of the pair/stock/etc , is it bull/bearish

- Why do I want to get into this pair/stock/etc and which direction

- Where will do I see an entry point and WHY (more reasons the better, technical/fundamental/news)

- Where will I place my stop loss and WHY? (a % of total account is fine but also look at areas of support/resistance or what your indicators tell you)

- What is my position size going to be? (use this in tune with your stop loss distance in accordance with your % risk per trade. This is one of my big mitigators of risk.)

- Where do I forsee profit points and what will I do at those points? (this is personally my worse point, I’m trying to make myself to plan for certain eventualities. For example if price just broken up out of range, there is a resistance point up ahead. 1 could bounce off, 2 could bounce then continue and break the resistance 3 could break straight through, 4 it may never even reach the resistance. You can have a plan for each eventuality, don’t pretend to know where its going or even try to predict it.)

Write them down for each trade here on this thread

As I said I am inexperienced but I have found so far that if I write these things down; 1 – my trade is more likely to be successful, 2 – if its not I can analyse the situation and see if I would still do the same. Writing these things on this thread will let the more experienced help you analyse your methods.

I wish you a lot of success in the future.
Fin

This is a crazy trade!
with trades like this you may as well just give your money to the spreadbet co's
it pains me to see it.
Please contact me I will try to help you when I have finished my trading. If you wish.
Don't worry I am not trying to sell anything , Just trying to help in the spirit of making T2W a helpful place

You should take up Gamma's generous offer, as an exercise/demonstration of highly disciplined and focused trading, he turned the 100 quid free cash from ETX capital into 700 quid inside a month...

You should take up Gamma's generous offer, as an exercise/demonstration of highly disciplined and focused trading, he turned the 100 quid free cash from ETX capital into 700 quid inside a month...

Indeed. And if he's not interested in taking him up on the offer, I'll throw my hat in the ring as a more than willing student!