Boys Toys for a grand?

I've got a different suggestion. Instead of splashing out on yourself and selfishly buying an expensive tic-toc try:-

going to your favourite boozer and tell everyone you are celebrating. Give the barman a grand and its free drinks all round unil the money runs out.
They will remember you for at least a week on the strength of that alone

:clap:

The reason that i want to spend it is that my best friend owns a bar in spain - and I don't want to go on a week long bender when I get there!

2952196250105305888S600x600Q85.jpg

The amusing thing about this watch is that it's quite collectable.

The reason that i want to spend it is that my best friend owns a bar in spain - and I don't want to go on a week long bender when I get there!

Send it to me, i'll put it in escrow for you and when you get back i'll return it.

There is one problem with that - I ain't coming back for at least 9 months (if at all).

Well once you got the first week out of the way then get the money. Alternatively, just exercise some self-discipline. What are you going to be doing out there out of interest.

spending time with the family. I'm going to fly back and work 1-2 weeks a month and spend the rest having fun.

I went in and asked if I picked a watch could they reserve it for me at duty free. They couldn't - because the duty free shop isn't actually their shop. It's owned by the airport operator and they just lease them the name apparantly. So they were keen to do a deal(they probably have year end target?).

I asked how much and he told me could do 10%. I left.

I thought about it and if something did go wrong would rather have it from a proper shop - so went back about 15 mins later and said if they do it for 15% they had a deal.

They did. OK so it was very slightly more expensive than I probably would have paid duty free - but I feel a bit more comfortable knowing the shop is easier to access if there are problems.

and I have today, so that counts for something as I'm an impatient sod.

Also prices go up next month - so it will be £2380 RRP and they may not have had the exact one I wanted duty free so didn't fancy the risk.

Last edited:
I can see how you can get addicted to watches now - i've been cooing over it all night so far.

I had a go at getting addicted to watches until I realised they were jewlery; I was really looking for a mechanical watch, where almost all the money went on the movement, but I could never find that. Seems no matter what you spend on a watch the most that goes on the movement is a few hundred quid. Ain't seen any watch where most of the money goes on a complex mechanical thing, which is what *I* want from a watch.

Shame really. So I'll make do with Casios or whatever until my dad passes away and I nick his Oyster (family joke here, not as heartless as it seems ;))

But surely if it was possible to produce a watch this good for a few hundred quid - then someone would. So where is it? I've had a £500 watch - and it is not even close to the quality of this one.

The irony is that there would be no buyers apart from a few ******s with engineers' minds like me. They're practically griffen goods.

Very similar to designer clothing or suchlike...