Boys Toys for a grand?

Clock mechanisms are quite facinating actually. The challenges that were overcome are quite amazing - John Harisson and the longitude clocks spring to mind. I'm privelidged enough to have been in Big Ben and seen that mechanism which is really interesting as the accuracy they had to achieve was way beyond what was thought feasible at the time.

Anyway - yes I'm a sucker, or yes it is a big step in quality?

I don't want another T6 if that is all it is.

The "yes" was just to what you were probably thinking about me in the back of your mind. ;)

The problem with the Suunto is that it's like asking me about my opinion on a Range Rover Sport with 24" chrome spinners. It's about as useful up a mountain when you consider everything.

Episteme,

Why not go for something average price and stands up to the knocks.

Ive had one of these for 4 years now and worn it every day and no problems.

http://www.zgwatches.co.uk/solar-titanium-waveceptor-watch-wva430tdu1a2ver-p-560.html

Or for a bit of rough and tumble the G Shock. Not the G Spot.

http://www.watchesshop.com/watches/casio/g-1010d-1aer-mens-g-shock-steel-combination-watch.html

You can then spend the rest of the cash on a good slap up meal.

True.

I did have a really good fake rolex at some point as well. What I really loved about it though was it had a part see through back so that when you took it off you could see the insides doing stuff. I was really impressed by it. It's all very well knowing these mechanisms are inside - but much better if you can see them.

Is there anything like that at this price range that is decent?

www.wernersflyingwatches.com

Quite a few of the automatic Aeromatic watches have display backs. Failing that, you can get Seiko 5s on ebay. Many are fake, though, so choose your supplier carefully. I can have a search if you're really interested but not going to now.

The Aeromatic will be superior in quality to your fake Rolex but the Seiko, being Japanese, will be of a superior quality still.

Thanks for all the input, it really has been helpful - and interesting. I'm going to get it duty free next week and so have looked at what should be available. I have dismissed going the suunto and other distractions and have narrowed it doen to 2 options.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=4515

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=11823

I am leaning towards the omega - although I prefer the looks of the longines.It's slightly cheaper and maybe a bit more robust.

I will try and have a look at them this week and see if I can pre-order it to collect.

(Have realise the omega has a battery, so I will try and take out another grand this week to buy the proper one as it is £1900.)

Last edited:
Watches...

Tags are not highly regarded by collectors so tend to depreciate rapidly.

Rolexes (Submariners in particular) tend to hold the value more.

The other alternative that suffers depreciation less is Panerai.

However, both are well out of your budget unless you go for older ones like a Rolex Oysterdate - in which case, over time, they may well increase in value. Also, older Omegas tend to hold their values quite well. By old, I mean 1970s and older so they tend to be smaller watches with 36mm diameter cases and smaller.

If you don't want to lose a great deal then you have to be careful what you end up with.

Great in theory, but I don't think he was buying a watch for an investment. In which case, screw that stuff and just buy whatever you like. There's always going to be a watch snob round the corner to tell you your watch is

I think I actually prefer the Longines of the 2.

Great in theory, but I don't think he was buying a watch for an investment. In which case, screw that stuff and just buy whatever you like. There's always going to be a watch snob round the corner to tell you your watch is

True. If you don't care about not getting anything back then fair enough. Buy a Breitling and be done with it. :D

Thanks for all the input, it really has been helpful - and interesting. I'm going to get it duty free next week and so have looked at what should be available. I have dismissed going the suunto and other distractions and have narrowed it doen to 2 options.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=4515

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product.asp?cid=1&pid=11823

I am leaning towards the omega - although I prefer the looks of the longines.It's slightly cheaper and maybe a bit more robust.

I will try and have a look at them this week and see if I can pre-order it to collect.

(Have realise the omega has a battery, so I will try and take out another grand this week to buy the proper one as it is £1900.)

£2k now? We're encroaching on serious watch territory here.

Possibly a Panerai if no VAT to be paid. IWC XVI? Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean? Omega Railmaster? Omega Speedmaster?

maybe - lets see if the EURGBP trashes me on monday. I think I am pretty set on an Omega and I think a Seamaster but the next step is to see them to decide. As I say there is that one at £1k - but if the gambling pays off I may have 2k or even 3k. - but that is presumptious at the moment.

:D Stop it. I refuse to answer any more watch questions until you agree a budget. Go for £5k, go on. Then we'll talk. Should be very interesting.

:D sorry. thanks for your help - it is appreciated.

I wouldn't spend £5k on a watch even if I had it. How about- if things work out well Monday then I will pull another 1.5k out and have a £2.5k budget. If things don't work well then I'll stick to around the £1k.

I always do this! Start looking at something - get completely carried away and end up spending twice as much money as I had originally planned.

I don't spend on myself often I suppose, so nobody minds.

Go retro chic and use the money for better things. You'll feel a bit of a fool spending that much on something just because you had the money lying around.

casio-casual-digital-watch-i_z_F-91W-1XY.jpg

My recomendation:

P1040620-1.jpg

(Not me, just googled that, but's a great watch !)

Or:

full_wrist_shot.jpg

Could always get one second hand and not go wrong, retail prices are a bit of a myth anyway.

I like the orange bits in the one I posted (and will almost certainly get). I think I want the rubber strap, but may get a bracelet.

Yeah thats pretty cool too either way

DSCF5004.jpg

0270070035.png

Personally I prefer the bracelet.