All you need to trade is a horizontal line - TheRumpledOne

the previous day you stopped trading after meeting a daily target.
but yesterday you continued trading after hitting a string of losses.

if you stop trading after losing 37 on a bad day, but stop trading after making just 14 on a good day, you are skewed to a net losing strategy.

either enforce a max loss per day (or session), or keep trading on a good day.

keep up the good work and discipline.

Eur-Usd demo trades for Wed-9th-Apr-08

the previous day you stopped trading after meeting a daily target.
but yesterday you continued trading after hitting a string of losses.

if you stop trading after losing 37 on a bad day, but stop trading after making just 14 on a good day, you are skewed to a net losing strategy.

either enforce a max loss per day (or session), or keep trading on a good day.

keep up the good work and discipline.

Hi Trendie,
Yes, I remember you guiding me on this aspect before.
Thanks for the timely nudge.
I think I will set a max loss limit of 20 pips per day and keep trading until I have at least 30 pips in the bag.
It would certainly have been worth sticking to these limits today.

I made -54 pips in 8 trades:
-8, -10, -10, -10, -10, -10, +4, 0

Best Regards,
Neil

Attachments

• eur-usd-b-zone-Wed-9-Apr-08a.PNG
    eur-usd-b-zone-Wed-9-Apr-08a.PNG
    51.7 KB · Views: 202
Eur-Usd Demo Trades for 10-Apr-08

Hi,
Just a quick report of figs; I'm a bit sleepy :sleep:
Will put chart up tomorrow.

21 trades and +20 pips, missed target of +30 pips.

-5(2k), -5(2k), -5(2k)
+7(1k), +1(1k), -10(2k)
-5(2k) +9(1k) +1(1k)
+16(1k), 0, +6(1k), +1(1k)
+8(1k), 0, +6(1k), 1(1k)
5(1k), 0, 10(1k), 9(1k)

Missed the bulk of the nice move down off highs so
just picked up the scraps really.

Best Regards,
Neil

Attachments

• eur-usd-b-zone-10-apr-08a.png
    eur-usd-b-zone-10-apr-08a.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hi Folks,
Not a good pips day, got off to a bad start.

-10, -10, -10
-10, -10, -10
+12, +1, +6, +19

-10, -12, -10, -10
-10, -10, +4, 0
+4, 0, +7, +8

My entries were by the rules so didn't feel panic or anything
bad on the psychological side.
Only slip of discipline was not taking a break after losing bursts of three.

I did manage a couple of decent entries along the way.

On the chart, it looks like trading around a flat MA is asking for trouble.

Anyway, -37 pips and 22 trades.

Best Regards,
Neil

To be honest mate,

I'm surprised you are still wasting time with this B.S. (none) system - the BZ. The results you are posting are neither consistent or encouraging. To spend as much time working on a method that you have spent demoing the BZ, I'd suggest that the results - whether they be back-tested or forward tested or both - need to be both consistent & encouraging. :!:

What encourages you to persist with demoing BZ given the non-successful/non-consistent/non-encouraging results that you keep posting? :confused:

What would need to happen, and by what date for you to decide that the BZ is in fact B.S. & for you to stop demoing it altogether, and find a system methodology that not only makes sense, but also works:?:

PS. sorry to sound harsh, but perhaps its time for a reality check :|.
:).

Last edited:
To be honest mate,

I'm surprised you are still wasting time with this B.S. (none) system - the BZ. The results you are posting are neither consistent or encouraging. To spend as much time working on a method that you have spent demoing the BZ, I'd suggest that the results - whether they be back-tested or forward tested or both - need to be both consistent & encouraging. :!:

What encourages you to persist with demoing BZ given the non-successful/non-consistent/non-encouraging results that you keep posting? :confused:

What would need to happen, and by what date for you to decide that the BZ is in fact B.S. & for you to stop demoing it altogether, and find a system methodology that not only makes sense, but also works:?:

PS. sorry to sound harsh, but perhaps its time for a reality check :|.
:).

Hi JT,
Welcome back!
Ok, I've ditched BZ now; I just can't get it to fly.
Still puzzled as to how TRO makes it work. He says only a few can really follow what he teaches.
Next week I'm just going to keep it simple and trade using SMA(12) and look for breakouts and reactions around local s/r regions.

Best Regards,
Neil

Hi JT,
Welcome back!
Ok, I've ditched BZ now; I just can't get it to fly.
Still puzzled as to how TRO makes it work. He says only a few can really follow what he teaches.
Next week I'm just going to keep it simple and trade using SMA(12) and look for breakouts and reactions around local s/r regions.

Best Regards,
Neil

its always tough to decide how to approach a fellow trader.
Do you offer as much help and advice and support for his chosen path?
Or do you just say "hey, mate, it aint working"?

JTrader gave you a wake up call, which you have heeded. Wish I had the nerve to say that, beacuse its difficult to judge how it would be taken.

Whatever happens, you can know that you have thoroughly proved that it wasnt for you.

You could do worse than have a look at the 3-Ducks method!
A new week with a fresh new start.
Best of luck, bansir.

JTrader gave you a wake up call, which you have heeded. Wish I had the nerve to say that, beacuse its difficult to judge how it would be taken.

Whatever happens, you can know that you have thoroughly proved that it wasnt for you.

Best of luck, bansir.

3-ducks did not seem to work well with me because the averages are out of reality when dealing with indices and shares., because of the out of hours factor. Am I explaining properly? Do you use them for indices? In the mornings, for instance, how do you use a 60 bar average on the 5 minute time scale, with 12 bars to the hour?

I think that TD's pin system is good but I don't like pivots and Fib lines. There are plenty of SR lines that can be drawn, though, and I use the hourly pins mixed up with other stuff. :rolleyes:

I've been watching Bansir for some time. Like you, I didn't like to say anything. I notice that Bansir likes the SP, I have had more success with London stocks than indices, although I don't give up trying. I am more comfortable swing trading them overnight than with indices. I've been caught with morning gaps a couple of times, but it does not happen too often and shares can give good profits. I caught 50 points with BARC a short while ago, in one overnight session.

Good trading

Split

3-ducks did not seem to work well with me because the averages are out of reality when dealing with indices and shares., because of the out of hours factor. Am I explaining properly? Do you use them for indices? In the mornings, for instance, how do you use a 60 bar average on the 5 minute time scale, with 12 bars to the hour?

I think that TD's pin system is good but I don't like pivots and Fib lines. There are plenty of SR lines that can be drawn, though, and I use the hourly pins mixed up with other stuff. :rolleyes:

I've been watching Bansir for some time. Like you, I didn't like to say anything. I notice that Bansir likes the SP, I have had more success with London stocks than indices, although I don't give up trying. I am more comfortable swing trading them overnight than with indices. I've been caught with morning gaps a couple of times, but it does not happen too often and shares can give good profits. I caught 50 points with BARC a short while ago, in one overnight session.

Good trading

Split

3-Ducks only with FX, not indices. I find the opening 60-mins volatility and gaps on indices skews MAs, so dont use them on DAX or Dow.
For indices, look more towards yesterdays High, Open, Close, etc. [1] But trade them less often.

Sorry for confusion if I reccomended 3-Ducks for indices. No, only FX.
If you want hand-holding on US-index trading, Oscar Carboni does daily youtube webcasts that are quite entertaining. :cheesy:
(I thought bansir traded EURUSD for this experiment, not SPX)

As always, have a good week trading. (y)

EDIT: [1] dont forget the Low as well!!

Last edited:

Best of luck, bansir.

Hi Trendie,
JT's wake up call was timely; I have tried quite a few ways to see if I could get something out of BZ. I'm now at the point where I feel I just need to get back on solid ground and find a decent starting place to develop something at least half workable.

I have had a play with CC's 3-Ducks system in the past, it certainly may be worth revisiting.
Thanks to you, JT and others for your feedback on my BZ demo experiments .
Thanks also to TRO for sharing his system.
I would like to keep posting results if that's ok, but I'm not sure if this is the right place now.

Best Regards,
Neil

Bansir, I haven't read all of your posts but how many trades did you make and what was your PL in points?

If it was not a great loss but mediocre and not worth the trouble it must mean that your line must have been, pretty near, sitting on the fence. So your criteria for the position of the line must be wrong.

Perhaps your line must be near hourly tops, or something similar?

Split

Bansir, I haven't read all of your posts but how many trades did you make and what was your PL in points?

If it was not a great loss but mediocre and not worth the trouble it must mean that your line must have been, pretty near, sitting on the fence. So your criteria for the position of the line must be wrong.

Perhaps your line must be near hourly tops, or something similar?

Split

Hi Split,
Thanks for your interest in following my trail of disaster:)
I used lots of horizontal lines, too many probably!

Feb I made -43 pips in 218 trades.
Mar I made -74 pips in 255 trades.
Apr I have made -115 pips in 137 trades.

In Feb. the horizontal lines were initially just placed at the closing price on the hour as per TRO's system given in the very first post at the begining of this thread. I stuck to his system as closely as possible although I was guilty of over trading.

I experimented a bit during March, adjusting stops and targets.
In late March / April I started using SMA(12) to filter out lots of bad trades that were just plain wrong. This worked quite well at first but then I hit another "bad patch".

All in all, I think I'll take on board the feedback I have had and start afresh.

I've been using the squiggly line (SL) method today with S/R lines.
Results to follow shortly.

Very Best Regards,
Neil

eur-usd SL demo trades

Two squiggly line (SL) trades today, using s/r horizontal lines too but no BZ's.

I opened the chart at ~ 08:45 and noticed the break out at B1.
SMA(12) slope was up with the price just above it so I was looking for a longs.

A slight pause in the move allowed a buy at 1.5790 with stop under support at S1.
I then realised after placing the trade that 1.5800 was likely to be a bit of a problem
due to being a round figure level.
So I closed half the trade for +6 pips and moved the stop up to break even. That way, if it did get past 1.5800, I was still on board. Unfortunately, but not entirely unexpectedly, the price dropped back to take my stop out at 1.5790

Risk reward on this was rubbish at 19x2 risk for 6x1 reward.

I watched the B2 break out come and go and found it very difficult to wait for a retrace rather than attempt to chase the price..
Eventually a pause came along and I could see a chance to go long just after 12 noon with the stop tucked under the SMA(12). Risk a bit nicer at 10 pips.
I closed half the position on the support/resistance line just in case it didn't break through but I left the stop under the SMA(12) this time.
I got the break out at B3 and thought that the price had room to move up at least half as much as the distance from B2 to B3 so I set a target to exit at 1.5860.

The target was hit but with 1 pip slippage as I trailed the stop up under the SMA(12).
10 pips risk for 38 pips reward, good.

Finished up with 4 trades for +42 pips.
+6, 0, +8,+28.

Makes a change I guess.
What do you reckon?

Best Regards,
Neil

Attachments

• eur-usd-sl-demo-14-apr-08a.png
    eur-usd-sl-demo-14-apr-08a.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Two squiggly line (SL) trades today, using s/r horizontal lines too but no BZ's.

Finished up with 24 trades for +42 pips.
+6, 0, +8,+28.

Makes a change I guess.
What do you reckon?

Best Regards,
Neil

much better.

but be aware that the +42 must be seen in context of about a 150-pip move 1.5730 to 1.5880 in the morning. Also, yesterday was a neat upmove, with no real choppiness. Your nerve will be tested in moves that are spikey, and will test your skill in where to position yourself, and assessing your risks.

but yep, a confidence boosting positive start. fewer trades, and more to show for them.
(that should say "4" trades, not "24" ?)

Squigglies the way to go!! :cheesy:

EDIT: you may have to start a new thread, since no horizontal lines were hurt in the making of the trades.

JTrader:

Tell all the traders who make money using the Buy Zone that it is a B.S. strategy.

Tell all the traders who use the opening range breakout that's B.S., too, as well as, any other breakout system.

Last edited:
much better.

but be aware that the +42 must be seen in context of about a 150-pip move 1.5730 to 1.5880 in the morning. Also, yesterday was a neat upmove, with no real choppiness. Your nerve will be tested in moves that are spikey, and will test your skill in where to position yourself, and assessing your risks.

but yep, a confidence boosting positive start. fewer trades, and more to show for them.
(that should say "4" trades, not "24" ?)

Squigglies the way to go!! :cheesy:

EDIT: you may have to start a new thread, since no horizontal lines were hurt in the making of the trades.

Where can I find a definition of a "squiggly" :) ?

Split

Hi all,
Since I'm not using BZ now, I guess I'd better start a new thread.
Maybe title it "Eur-Usd SL demo trades" or something similar.
I'll put Yesterdays and today's results up to kick things off.

Maybe someone out there may like to have a bash at demoing TRO's system on here?
You never know, it might work for others with different attitude / psychology.

Very Best Regards,
Neil

lol

JTrader:

Tell all the traders who make money using the Buy Zone that it is a B.S. strategy.

Tell all the traders who use the opening range breakout that's B.S., too, as well as, any other breakout system.

lol

"Tell all the traders who use the opening range breakout that's B.S., too, as well as, any other breakout system"

thats why it works :cheesy:

Last edited:
JTrader:

Range Breakouts DO INDEED work. However, only when used correctly.
(the famous Turtles themselves a 20-day and 55-day range breakout. Although I think it was the High or Low rather than "opening price".)

Your BZ used on the hourlies is a variation on the Daily breakout. You have simply assumed it would work on a different time-frame.

There is a recent post by TheBramble asking members to see if Fibs work on 18-hr charts, or whether pivots work on 105-minute charts (that may be my example, but thats the gist of his post) and see if there are any patterns.
The principle is what "other traders are looking at".

Most market-movers probably do take notice of previous days/weeks ranges, and note the breakouts, but unlikely to be doing so on hourlies, hence why the BZ on hourlies is at best noise, esp when you dont factor in candlestick patterns, nor indeed action relative to previous several bars.

So, breakouts on dailies are not BS, but on hourlies are tougher to trade. Even more so, when spreads have to be considered.

But, I think you should at least acknowledge bansirs strength of mind in following the BZ for a really long time.
And also acknowledge BZ doesnt work for everyone.
And applaud him for finding something that he does feel comfortable with, and seems to be making pips with, and wish him well for his future successes.

There is no one single one-size-fits-all method of trading, and some of us prefer squigglies. :cheesy:

Just a line needed and attention!

It's really funny to see people with little or no experience trading the Buy Zone talking like they are experts.

That is precisely why newbies make money using the Buy Zone and "experienced" traders struggle.

All major moves start in the Buy Zone (especially if you use the Buy Zone every hour) and must exit the Buy Zone... all you have to do is enter the trade.

If you can't see this, then you'll never understand.

I totally agree!

I start trading recently and am making money! Why people may ask? Trading is more of a probability game that strategy. We do not know where price is going! Look at at chart: what do you see? Price moved up and down, up and down, up and down... Shall I continue! Now draw a horizontal line amid that up and down: Now you see where price has moved from one side of the line to the other many many times! So if price is on the up side of the horizontal line and you are not in that trade two things can happen:

1) if you are in the trade and the markets decide not to come across the line then all one has to do is stay in and watch you money grow.
2) the market will come across the line one more time.

What do you do? Check where price is moving in the long term on a higher time frame that that which you trade, then, you should discern a trend or choppiness. Both works well with a simple simple horizontal line.
Trade with the trend. Buy or sell across the line with the trend and make sure you have a small stop.

Trust me. Your account will grow. Oh how we love to complicate things.