All trading systems fail

Re: Free Financial news service

Anyone know of a free financial news service that is relatively fast that I can use to trade with ?:?:

Bloomberg

Haven't time to read the whole thread but for my tuppence worth, it is worth stating the obvious which is:-

no systems are 100% correct except hindsight

so you got a system and it's 70% correct !
Will be a winner some of the time then

Sounds like a dumb question reading it back - I guess what I am really getting at is do you (those who consider yourselves successful traders) still have a system for entries, exits, mm, which you apply discretion to or are you entirely discretionary with few system-type rules?

I now trade with zero discression, 100% rule based, although I had to accumulate a lot of discretionary trading experience to get there.

People quite rightly take the **** out of ODT, but he's spot on with his comments regarding diversification. The variation in system performance from year to year can be quite sigificant, this years star may well become a dog next year and vice versa. A bit of diversification helps, and there's a few neat money management tricks available (even with a simple % based allocation your worst performing systems are generally reducing position size, and your star performers are generally increasing position size)

There's a whole bunch of problems with discretionary trading that are eliminated the moment you impose a rigid framework, one of the problems is that its almost impossible to allocate any kind of sensible metric on performance when using a discretionary approach, and therefore much harder to determine if your improving over time. Questions such as did I capture 10,20,30,40% of a move are impossible to answer when you have no idea when you'd get in, out !

I know everyone here makes 1000 pips a week, they have a consistantly rising equity curve, and they never have a losing trade, but in the real world where we have a random distribution of gains and losses, objectively measuring performance matters, and discretionary techniques make that much more difficult than it needs to be.

Unfortunately this is a bit of a catch 22 situation, you'll never be a successful systems trader until you've mastered a discretionary approach, and you'll never be a successful discretionary trader until you at least understand system based trading. There's a definate synergistic benefit to approaching the problem from both angles.

That probably doesnt help !

Cheers, good answer. Whether it helps or not is another question though :)

Sounds like a dumb question reading it back - I guess what I am really getting at is do you (those who consider yourselves successful traders) still have a system for entries, exits, mm, which you apply discretion to or are you entirely discretionary with few system-type rules?

I place emphasis only on money management rules and risk management rules ,everything else is discretionary and related to minimising risk and maximising rewards.All entries and exits are based on how much risk I am exposed to , and the positive probabilities of daily profit .Technical set ups and their frequent failures leads me to place as many trending entries , as placing contrarian entries.I often place hedged trades and do coin toss entries , these briing in greater profits and more consistent profits than trending systems.

I don´t believe in vodoo science (technical anylysis)and use it on a occasional discretionary basis.

Failure of technical anylysis and and systems will knock your confidence and will lead to trading parylysis, i .e you will hesitate to put on trades and will miss hundreds of good opprtunities.

Unlike the xcunts on forums,we really have very little edge on knowing the direction.For the number of times we know the direction, there are far greater number of times we are wrong on direction.

I don´t believe in vodoo science (technical anylysis)and use it on a occasional discretionary basis.
Technical analysis, is using any past or current price to make trading decisions upon. If you use any automated system based on price, you are using technical analysis. I was under the impression that you did...

Technical analysis, is using any past or current price to make trading decisions upon. If you use any automated system based on price, you are using technical analysis. I was under the impression that you did...

They only give a 52 % win rate on 44 systems. so what percentage is the edge?I only use it occasionaly and base my systems on future price.

A HFT program uses price - would you describe it as using TA?

they're even more delayed than the audio!

may or may not be delayed from paid for ran, but a proper news source will get them quicker, as ran isn't about quick text news

btw hope you're doing the poker ya big... bender...

Not on data releases. They come out pretty sharpish in comparison to other free sources. Dunno about the headlines as I have nothing to compare them to. Should get on MSN and approximate it.

A HFT program uses price - would you describe it as using TA?

I saw a doc about HFT programmes that was posted on the site somewhere. Wilmott was saying he knows of one that picks stocks based on number of google searches on share price. Interesting.

His existence has made me consider quitting this site. I don't imagine anyone will care, I'm not going to start a thread like NRothschild "I'm off", but I get less and less from this site now. There is the occasional tidbit, but my oh my is there the biggest pile of dogsh1t to wade thru ...

haven't you figured it out yet/

You want a good thread you have to start something on like bonds or fundamentals that attracts the likes of Gooseman, Gecko, Gammajammer, Martinghoul etc.

Dunno about Arabian he normally descends into crude quips pretty quickly :)

I've probably learned the most through those anyway. Not to saty that there are no other valuable contributors to the forums I personally think that these guys seem either most clued up or most willing to spend a bit of time divulging/helping.

What happened to elitejets?

Markets are driven by fundamentals, not technicals - a concept the majority seemingly fail to grasp.
I beg to disagree!

Fundamentals drive the market to some extent, but technical factors sustain the moves! I believe that what many traders have in mind when they push the theory that fundamentals drive the market is the failure of traders to pick tops and bottoms. I would say any trader trying to pick tops or bottoms of any financial market has a long way to go!

Will ask you some questions to prod you in the right direction:

What happens when traders buy to cover their short positions? Depending on your answer, is that effect fundamental or technical?

What happens when long positions are liquidated? Do you think the effect is fundamental or technical?

The majority of trading systems purchased fail because market conditions change over time and traders become too reliant upon the systems.

http://hubpages.com/hub/FOREX--CURRENCY-TRADING-SYSTEMS-FOR-SALE

http://www.fxfisherman.com/forums/f...s/3595-buying-trading-systems-discussion.html

The only word I disagree with is 'majority', I think ALL purchased trading systems fail, do the math please, spend loads of time and money investing in marketing to sell the system or use the money you would have used in marketing to trade the system. You'd only sell it if it had odds of 50/50 or less.....gees has t2w changed it's name to tw4ts 2 w4nkers!!

ODT, you must have started this thread to draw in the suckers who HAVE to defend the system they bought, nice:cheesy: