All I Know About Trading Options, I Learned in Flight School

Why do you have to accelerate when turning a plane? Just a question out of interest. Does something bad happen if you turn without doing it (I have zero flying knowledge)?

In a turn the lift vector is no longer in line with gravity (vertical). You have to add lift to compensate for the bleed associated with the horizontal component of lift. That is done by accelerating.

This effect is most pronounced during steep turns where the vertical component is significantly diminished. If you don't increase speed you soon find your windshield full of spinning earth. Not a good thing. Luckily, when it happened to me I recalled that the airplane knew how to fly better than me. I took my hands off everything and the airplane returned to stable (relatively) level flight. I used to practice steep turns a lot to get used to the unusual sensory input and be proactive rather than reactive in my flying. It's like riding the same roller coaster a bunch of times so that after you know what is coming, you are free to observe a lot more stuff.

An interesting note. I read somewhere that Lindbergh had his controls set so that hands off would be unstable so that he would be forced to stay away to survive.

In a turn the lift vector is no longer in line with gravity (vertical). You have to add lift to compensate for the bleed associated with the horizontal component of lift. That is done by accelerating.

This effect is most pronounced during steep turns where the vertical component is significantly diminished. If you don't increase speed you soon find your windshield full of spinning earth. Not a good thing. Luckily, when it happened to me I recalled that the airplane knew how to fly better than me. I took my hands off everything and the airplane returned to stable (relatively) level flight. I used to practice steep turns a lot to get used to the unusual sensory input and be proactive rather than reactive in my flying. It's like riding the same roller coaster a bunch of times so that after you know what is coming, you are free to observe a lot more stuff.

An interesting note. I read somewhere that Lindbergh had his controls set so that hands off would be unstable so that he would be forced to stay away to survive.

Interesting. I have learned something new.

Thanks, HoCo. (y)

Real confidence in the air is bred only by mistakes made and recovered from at a safe altitude, in a safe ship, and seated on a good parachute.
Source: Rodney H. Jackson, 'A Lesson in Stunting,' Aeronautics magazine, February 1930.

Why don't you tell us about trading options, that is what this thread was originally about right?

Thanks and your interest is good .
If you try to work on internet and search your desire information is easily available. You got important knowledge about business.

Why don't you tell us about trading options, that is what this thread was originally about right?
Like most things in life, what the student learns is largely based on what he brings to the table.

The purpose of this thread is to apply maxims about piloting an aircraft to trading (options because that's what I do, but any trading usually applies.) If you don't get the relationship, discuss it here. We could all learn from your insights.

They will pressure you into doing things that may be unsafe, use your good judgment, and remember, 'I would rather be laughed at, than cried for.'
Source: George MacDonald

I'm thinking this is a cruel joke of Dash, did he tell you we're all pilots?

I'm thinking this is a cruel joke of Dash, did he tell you we're all pilots?
Being an airplane pilot is a good thing.

Who includes "all?" Might have to recalibrate my respect point assignments. :cheesy:

Is Dash back with us again?

What you know is not as important as what you do with it.
Source: Flight Instructor Favorites

I would have thought that a thread about flying would be exciting but I gotta say Howard that you you make it sound dull. I am sure that your real life experiences are not as dead as you make them sound, it is like a communication thing?

Anyway, it might be nice to get stoned, chill out and drift above the clouds with this accompianment :

Blue summer skies...:) beautiful, yeah?

I would have thought that a thread about flying would be exciting but I gotta say Howard that you you make it sound dull. I am sure that your real life experiences are not as dead as you make them sound, it is like a communication thing?<snip>

Like much of life, cross domain lessons have more to do with will and focus and less to do with pleasure. Will and focus is how things get accomplished. Pleasure is the by product.

Don't believe other people, prove it for yourself. Stick to what you have proved believable. Don't be overawed by other more senior people. Don't ignore the feelings in your bones.
Source: David P. Davies, former Chief Test Pilot

reminds me of swiss toni

Trading is like making love to a beautiful woman.....

Might have been a more interesting thread.

reminds me of swiss toni

Trading is like making love to a beautiful woman.....

Might have been a more interesting thread.

Be fair to HoCo. That last one is good, and relevant. It's essentially the same as one of the main lessons that Livermore emphasises, and it's certainly been my experience that the principle is sound.