a free gift to total newbies from MajorDutch

Well, guess what? The markets don't give a cr@p what you NEED.
Absolute truth
A trader needs to know how the markets work. How price is able to move.
No he doesn't.
That's like saying a batman needs to know the science behind what makes the ball move and understand trajectory and understand what happens to the leather when it hits willow and ......nonsense, he needs to have an understanding of his weaknesses, when to be offensive when to be defensive and when to smack the damn thing. Above all emotional stability when things are going good and when things are going bad.
If technology was allowed in the game (thank goodness it's not) the designer of the bats and balls would need this special knowledge as they have in golf.
Why people would feel good or bad about trading one way or the other. It's not difficult. It's just not candlesticks.
Candle sticks, bar charts.....it's almost the same, but
I have read excellent rational on why certain formations occur at different points, from successful traders not selling anything.
What you meant to say "It's just not candlesticks for DionysusToast" and that's perfectly ok.

The problem is, people want to learn about candlesticks, chart patterns, indicators, fibs, pivot points etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseum.
People have to start somewhere.
Where did you start?
You mention all these people that are profitable using candlesticks. Where are they? I've never met one. In fact, if I mention this sort of stuff to people that actually trade for a living, they just roll there eyes and let out a sigh.
This has be the most tired, most boring, repetitious clique of all time in trading.
Everybody says it about everybody.
You will.... I will, believe whatever we want to believe to make ourselves feel we have the edge or feel safe or feel successful or whatever we think we should be.
We just need to admit this truth to ourselves.
WD Gann said it “............ He only remembers what he wants to remember or what suits his hopes and fears........"

By the way .....any newby that went short five days ago the day after the despised outside bar (good enough for me) was formed on the lovely round number of 1.30 would be sitting on a nice profit even without knowing a single thing about what makes the market move.
Given the statistical success of this....er......setup.....um....whatever crap you want to call it, blind harry can see it must out perform random entries at these times.

Absolute truth

No he doesn't.
That's like saying a batman needs to know the science behind what makes the ball move and understand trajectory and understand what happens to the leather when it hits willow and ......nonsense, he needs to have an understanding of his weaknesses, when to be offensive when to be defensive and when to smack the damn thing. Above all emotional stability when things are going good and when things are going bad.
If technology was allowed in the game (thank goodness it's not) the designer of the bats and balls would need this special knowledge as they have in golf.

Well - the markets are an auction. Not only are the markets auctions, they are peculiar 4-way auctions. If you are going to trade an auction, surely you should have an understanding of how price moves in such an auction, right?

Forex, Futures & Stocks all have slight nuances in how the markets operate.

To attempt to trade something without even the slightest clue about the market you are trading is asking for trouble.

You make money with directional trading by pre-empting price moves up and down. These price moves are the result of a reasonably simple auction process. I don't see any benefit in not understanding the way the auction works.

You don't need to know how orders are routed, how many servers the exchange has, how the network is configured. On the other hand, the basics of how price moves is essential.

Candle sticks, bar charts.....it's almost the same, but
I have read excellent rational on why certain formations occur at different points, from successful traders not selling anything.
What you meant to say "It's just not candlesticks for DionysusToast" and that's perfectly ok.

Well - here's the thing. You trade the auction, whether you like it or not. You do not trade candlesticks. They are merely a representation of what occurred with price in the auction. You can tell yourself you are trading candlesticks but you aren't.

People have to start somewhere.
Where did you start?

Same place as everyone else. Candlesticks & other assorted TA artefacts. I analysed these as if these were the market. As many people do.

I got to a point where I'd spun the wheels long enough that I wanted to look under the bonnet and understand the market, not the visual representations/derivatives of it.

This has be the most tired, most boring, repetitious clique of all time in trading.
Everybody says it about everybody.
You will.... I will, believe whatever we want to believe to make ourselves feel we have the edge or feel safe or feel successful or whatever we think we should be.
We just need to admit this truth to ourselves.
WD Gann said it “............ He only remembers what he wants to remember or what suits his hopes and fears........".

It is boring but it is true. Retail trading is like a parallel universe to the Professional Trading world. The two bear no relationship and the techniques espoused by most retail trading experts are hogwash.

By the way .....any newby that went short five days ago the day after the despised outside bar (good enough for me) was formed on the lovely round number of 1.30 would be sitting on a nice profit even without knowing a single thing about what makes the market move.
Given the statistical success of this....er......setup.....um....whatever crap you want to call it, blind harry can see it must out perform random entries at these times.

One swallow does not a summer make.

. If you are going to trade an auction, surely you should have an understanding of how price moves in such an auction, right?
No, I don't believe you do. Sure it helps but not necessary.
If I'm buying a car, I find the model, price ect. and then I bid, other bidders bid and drive the price. If it goes pass my price I have a decision to make.
Granted, you can only go long and prices don't retreat, tho' subject to manipulation as I found out once.
I was buying a car and the crowd was small and I noticed the mechanics from next door were bidding but never actually bought. And some punters got scammed.
I'm sure I've seen it on live charts and a few years ago some pommy b@stard was stung by the ACCC for manipulating the Aussie 200.
However knowing it happens I cannot see how it improves ones trading of the markets. Unlike the mechanics, we cannot see the manipulators.
You use whatever price you think is a fair thing and go from there.
You only know one thing for certain....it will move.... and that's all and everything
we know at the time of entry.
To attempt to trade something without even the slightest clue about the market you are trading is asking for trouble.
Sure but everybody has to start somewhere.
But that is no where even close to the problem that people have of not REALLY knowing their attitude to money and risk.
You make money with directional trading by pre-empting price moves up and down. These price moves are the result of a reasonably simple auction process. I don't see any benefit in not understanding the way the auction works.
Agree again but not necessary. The ONLY way get that knowledge is experience with real money. Even then, I doubt if anybody in the entire history of trading actually fully understands what moves the markets.
Well - here's the thing. You trade the auction, whether you like it or not. You do not trade candlesticks. They are merely a representation of what occurred with price in the auction. You can tell yourself you are trading candlesticks but you aren't.
Agree again....I cant believe were agreeing on so much and yet we can't agree.:cheesy:
Some people need to know details before they can act. I'm a bit like that myself but I admire people who can just do it.
One person trades only his candlesticks, another trades his candles with a good understanding of how markets move. It'll be the one with best self understanding that'll do best.
Mike Hailwood was one the best motorcycle racers in the world, perfection personified on two wheels. Also known for not understanding how to set a bike up. Mechanic would make changes and say how is it Mike? But Mike wouldn't know. So a mechanic would have to take it for a lap. Mike just rode it fast if was good and rode just as fast if was bad.
I'm glad no one ever told him he would have to understand suspensions and gearing to be able to ride fast. Having said that, most riders do at least have a fair understanding, some better than others. Some had brilliant understanding but never went to great heights as a rider. Warren Willing comes to mind but went to become the man that looked after Kenny Roberts bikes (one the greatest riders of all time)

"Where are they? I've never met one."
It is boring but it is true. Retail trading is like a parallel universe to the Professional Trading world. The two bear no relationship and the techniques espoused by most retail trading experts are hogwash.
All I can do is shake my head.
These concepts were not invented by venders or retail traders. Yes, used by them endlessly these days because every one's got a computer.
I will also except the fact that many of the indicators and candlesticks probably worked better in the old days because few people knew of them and believe it or not, I think hand drawing them gave some sort of better insite. A bit like watching volume coming in real time is very different to looking at a historical chart with volume.

One swallow does not a summer make.
Lets put it this way.
At these moments that Dutch was talking about......
We could have gone in randomly at these points, I mean fair dinkum random, not a system that is tilted this way or that way. At best it can only get 50 % chance of getting it right. Still could be profitable tho' but then again totally random could have easily missed these opportunities.
Or......our poor dumb ass punter with big dreams who read a book about the engulfing candle and as naive as could be jumps in and gets 7 out of 7.
And be the laughing stock of T2w
Might not make him a great trader but he'd be profitable....if he had the self discipline to make it his only trades. But that's the impossible dream init?

Trading should be unbelievably simple but we mess it up in our own heads with all this academic bulsht. (A reference to myself)

It didn't surprise me at all that that daily bar on 4.1.12 EURUSD would have been a great trade.On my feed the bar didnt quite make it higher than the previous bar however some traders are happy just to see the previous body engulfed. Wouldn't have been one I would have traded as it is a 'continuation', not that this doesnt work it is just that I am studying reversal bars at swing highs/lows. The thing about daily bars is they are very forgiving imo esp with good trade managements.

You mention all these people that are profitable using candlesticks. Where are they? I've never met one. In fact, if I mention this sort of stuff to people that actually trade for a living, they just roll there eyes and let out a sigh.

I know of several traders who use candlesticks (not in the sense you are banging on about) who are full time traders and have been profitable for years. I also know an oil trader in an top tier IB in London. Every morning they get a briefing from different analysts in the bank. This includes both fundamentals and technical analysis. So it seems this technical analysis 'hog wash' you are talking about is being used by top tier investment banks.

any newbies trading now. EURUSD is right on the 1.27, pull up a 5min chart and watch, dont trade just watch.

Some people need to know details before they can act. I'm a bit like that myself but I admire people who can just do it.
One person trades only his candlesticks, another trades his candles with a good understanding of how markets move. It'll be the one with best self understanding that'll do best.
Mike Hailwood was one the best motorcycle racers in the world, perfection personified on two wheels. Also known for not understanding how to set a bike up. Mechanic would make changes and say how is it Mike? But Mike wouldn't know. So a mechanic would have to take it for a lap. Mike just rode it fast if was good and rode just as fast if was bad.
I'm glad no one ever told him he would have to understand suspensions and gearing to be able to ride fast. Having said that, most riders do at least have a fair understanding, some better than others. Some had brilliant understanding but never went to great heights as a rider. Warren Willing comes to mind but went to become the man that looked after Kenny Roberts bikes (one the greatest riders of all time)
There's all sorts of problems with this analogy...

any newbies trading now. EURUSD is right on the 1.27, pull up a 5min chart and watch, dont trade just watch.

I hope at least 1 newbie was watching that and how price popped out, high prob trading. imo. no pin bars or outside bars to keep the anti-TA crowd happy.

I newbie could do a lot worse than following the FX majors, oil, gold, set price alerts on IG index to text/email them when price is at a big round number and watch what happens. Personally I wish I did that a few years early than I did.

I hope at least 1 newbie was watching that and how price popped out, high prob trading. imo. no pin bars or outside bars to keep the anti-TA crowd happy.

I newbie could do a lot worse than following the FX majors, oil, gold, set price alerts on IG index to text/email them when price is at a big round number and watch what happens. Personally I wish I did that a few years early than I did.
I really don't get it? What exactly is the trade/pattern you're seeing in all this?

I really don't get it? What exactly is the trade/pattern you're seeing in all this?

no patterns dude. I am not going to go through my exact methods as it's meaningless it might not work for everyone, besides it would only just result in a flame war which isn't good for anyone.

all I am saying is newbies could do a lot worse than watch what happens to price around big round numbers, and that isn't saying much but for me in this business less is more and keeping things simple is the way forward.

infact watching price behaviour in these areas unfold live 10,20,30,40+ times is much much better than paying money to a vendor who will more than likely rip you off.

no patterns dude. I am not going to go through my exact methods as it's meaningless it might not work for everyone, besides it would only just result in a flame war which isn't good for anyone.

all I am saying is newbies could do a lot worse than watch what happens to price around big round numbers, and that isn't saying much but for me in this business less is more and keeping things simple is the way forward.

infact watching price behaviour in these areas unfold live 10,20,30,40+ times is much much better than paying money to a vendor who will more than likely rip you off.
While I have no disagreement with you on the subject of vendors, I really don't understand the point. But never mind me...

Dutch I am afraid some post here merely to bait but add bugger all.
Your post made sense at that round number. Further, maybe adding that price action prior to the break gave a hint of things to come. In short, watching price action.(y)

Dutch I am afraid some post here merely to bait but add bugger all.
Your post made sense at that round number. Further, maybe adding that price action prior to the break gave a hint of things to come. In short, watching price action.(y)

yes some people do post here merely to bait (something that I have def been guilty of:LOL:). It seems advising newbies to look at price action around big round numbers is enough to get a rise out of some people. It is just in the nature of some people to over analyze and look for an answer to everything. Like many things in life I worked out some time ago that some things don't have an answer, don't have a reason and you need to know when to let go. This is part of accepting uncertainty, just the same as when you click to enter a trade, if you cant accept the possibility of a loss then don't click.

Thanks for the alert, I'll check that one out later.

Damn new Uni semester preventing me from trading. :/