50k in a SB account looking for 12.5% return

Funny thread.

@Jungerns - which question are you asking:

What security they would trade and what size to have a max drawdown of 12.5%?

What security they would trade and what size to have a min return of 12.5% annually?

You can't blame the participants on the thread for taking the p1ss when what you are asking makes no sense and your posts continue to further confuse.

How people react to you is entirely within your control. No point in blaming others here.

Reactions: D70
Ok guys call the Rottweilers off.....

I will do as I've been doing for the last few years which is being moderately successful, and wont dare ask a question again.

End of..

Your original question asked '..by which instrument would you trade to achieve an annual drawdown (later ammended to return) of 12.5% '

It's an impossible question beacuse if you have a trading edge then virtually any instrument you tarede will achieve you a return equivalnet or better to the historical perfdormance of that edge.

If you are asking which instrument will increase or decrease by 12.5% this year (so you can place a 'set and forget' trade wih a year end time limit or 12.5% gain or loss limit - whichever of these 3 outcomes is the sooner) then you are asking others to either share their long term edge's or if trading on shorter t/f's - to predict, and that it a useless excercise. For eg I don't know where the instrument I trade will be in the next 5mins let al,one at the end of the year...as my edge is not predictive (like everyone else's - even if they think it is) and in any event I trade on the shorter t/f's.

Probably unknowingly - your original question was futile and in turn it attracted some futile responses.

G/L

4 pages of thread and not one single real reply to the question.....

I can only conclude that no ones dares to actually answer, for fear of being ridiculed along the lines of "no thats not right" !!

I'm amazed at the cynicism (sp) !!

I gave you an answer in my 2nd post in the thread.

It depends on where your experience/knowledge lies. But bottom line trade the market unleveraged. Refer to post #10 for more.

Haven't changed anything Miss Dyke.

My objective is to take the equivalent of 12.5% of 50k over the course of 12 months which if math is correct is 6250.

Drawdown/return whatever....

I really AM starting to regret asking such a simple question !!:smart:

Having given the matter considerable thought over the last 15 seconds, the obvious answer is to buy £3125 worth of Carpetright shares, which will always increase in value, no matter how many profit warnings.

Having given the matter considerable thought over the last 15 seconds, the obvious answer is to buy £3125 worth of Carpetright shares, which will always increase in value, no matter how many profit warnings.

I think that's too risky. 12.5% is 6250 euros. Put your 50k in the bank and get a part time job at McDonalds, you only need 518 euros a month to make your profit target and the only risk is burning your hand on a fryer. Plus you might get another 2% interest from the bank.

Yes it's not a serious answer but your question invites ridicule.

..and of course you could over achieve on the +12.5% target if you get compo for the industrial injury (no win-no fee ?)

A friend of mine got knocked down by a trolley pusher in tesco's carpark (she still can't polka without wincing) and got a nice compo payout and a year's free veg and binbags, and - double reward points !

G/L

I think that's too risky. 12.5% is 6250 euros. Put your 50k in the bank and get a part time job at McDonalds, you only need 518 euros a month to make your profit target and the only risk is burning your hand on a fryer. Plus you might get another 2% interest from the bank.

Yes it's not a serious answer but your question invites ridicule.

Jungerns: I think maybe you're confused about the difference between 'drawdown' and 'return'?
People tried to help you, but maybe you didn't realise the mistake in your question?

Jungerns: I think maybe you're confused about the difference between 'drawdown' and 'return'?
People tried to help you, but maybe you didn't realise the mistake in your question?

Sure that may be the case....no problem.

I want (but certainly dont need) a month by month income which equates to the 6250 sterling over the course of the year....

I'll stick to my original sentiment and continue to trade the FTSE and Dax where my profits to date are averaging around 70% of my desired income with account pots around 15% of the 50k I mentioned.....:)

Thank to the one or two who replied sensibly....

Ok ignoring the fact that some would say dont put 50k into a SB account in the first place, but which instrument(s) would you trade to achieve an annual drawdown of 12.5%....?

What would be your pound per point trade size ??

Some SB firms are not good at all (like CMC) , while others such as Capitalspreads, IGindex are believed to be reliable for up to 100 pounds per point, beyond that ask those who have traded, and be firm-specific.

CMC (or DEAL4FREE) are proven crooks, one time the orders won't be filled, or you won't receive confirmation, and at large size trading they move the spread unethically, to their advantage, and don't expect the FSA to fix these issues

If you have a winning trading system, why would you put all that money in a SB account anyway?

12.5% return per year? it's no worth the stress, you can put that money in antiques, antique items that are selling now at huge discounts (because of the economic crisis), and make 15% a year with your eyes closed:idea:

Some SB firms are not good at all (like CMC) , while others such as Capitalspreads, IGindex are believed to be reliable for up to 100 pounds per point, beyond that ask those who have traded, and be firm-specific.

CMC (or DEAL4FREE) are proven crooks, one time the orders won't be filled, or you won't receive confirmation, and at large size trading they move the spread unethically, to their advantage, and don't expect the FSA to fix these issues

If you have a winning trading system, why would you put all that money in a SB account anyway?

12.5% return per year? it's no worth the stress, you can put that money in antiques, antique items that are selling now at huge discounts (because of the economic crisis), and make 15% a year with your eyes closed:idea:

Oh I could make a lot more than 15% buying and selling cars but my objective is to move overseas with my wife and have 4 or 5 income sources but none of them dependant on me being in the UK......

Thanks for your sensible reply.........

Oh I could make a lot more than 15% buying and selling cars but my objective is to move overseas with my wife and have 4 or 5 income sources but none of them dependant on me being in the UK......

Thanks for your sensible reply.........

There might be some reasonably well paid positions vacant at RBS soon.

The easiest solution is to put the money in the bank at this time. Open a demo account for 50k and then make 12.5% on it to see where you stand. After that take the plunge.

You really need to understand that you WILL lose it if you do not have any prior experience in trading or investing in the open markets.

I had to lose $25k before I realised this was not the game to be in with immuture knowledge.

Save your money. Build it up in a demo and then see where you stand.

Just take the demo trade for 1 month. I am sure you will have a different perspective.