What is considered a good return ?

I did say it cannot be done over the long term...

Size becomes an issue.

Larry Williams turned $10,000 to $1,000,000 in less than a year.

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
Still don't beleive? ....... read about the Italian that just won a trading competetion.

JonnyT

Do you have a link to this story?

I think there is some confusion here. Scalpers regularly achieve 300%+ returns on account per year but they would not be able to create these returns with more money so the compounding that was worked through to billions is not relevant. If this was possible then I would be running a massive fund by now.
I doubt even the most successful locals have more than 1mln in their margin account tops and probably far less.
Most people withdraw any profit at the end of each month and keep their account at a set amount which allows them to do as much volume as they feel comfortable with.

JonnyT said:
I did say it cannot be done over the long term...

Size becomes an issue.

Larry Williams turned $10,000 to $1,000,000 in less than a year.

JonnyT

Statistical outliers do not prove anything.

I am happy that you agree that 300% is unsustainable as a long run average (irrespective of whether or not all profits have been withdrawn, thereby mitigating execution difficulties on large size). For a moment I thought you had lost your marbles, but you are beginning to restore credibility in my eyes by your admission !!!

As I have said, I too have achieved 300% in an easy trading environment. But such occasional performance is not in and of itself highly significant. What is indicative of your ability as a successful and consistent trader is your long run average % return, not your occasional high %.

Anyway, this thread chat has been enjoyable, but is becoming rather arduous and circuitous.

As long as what you are making trading makes you happy, JonnyT, I am happy for you.

Last edited:
Happy! I didn't admit to that.

I've got to give up the day job first.

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
Happy! I didn't admit to that.

I've got to give up the day job first.

JonnyT

And here I was, thinking I was having a discussion with a fellow full-time trader !! :eek:

Have you actually started trading yet, or are you still testing things out?

No, I trade when I get the chance.

I've got a full week in September, if that goes well I'm giving my notice.

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
No, I trade when I get the chance.

I've got a full week in September, if that goes well I'm giving my notice.

JonnyT

OK, well if you want to speak about what to expect as a full-time trader, feel free to 'phone' me via Yahoo Messenger.

" Imagine you make 20 measly points net per day. "
" Every week you make $500, every month $2000. "

This is a false assumption . to do this each and every day is nigh impossible . you could easily lose 20 pnts or more a day for many days . seen it done it !

" Every 4 months you add another contract. "

no . read conditions . no compounding gain to capital.

" read about the Italian that just won a trading competetion. "

don't mean a thing necessarily , if he was so great we would have done exactly that : heard about him .

also he may not fit my criteria , compounding gains , stops bigger than 30 pnts .

re read conditions please.

" It can be done and why shouldn't it be you with hard work? "

I think you've answered your own question:

>>No, I trade when I get the chance.
>>I've got a full week in September, if that goes well I'm giving my notice

300 % ROC on my conditions can be done , in fact anything up to 1000 % is possible , I know, I've seen it .

not everyone cn do this , the system and risk controls have to be there .

what I am suspicious of , is that this magnitude of return can be acheaived by " scalping " by a retail player.

" 300% per annum as a long run average return would send even the most humbly capitalised trader to billionaire status within a few years, if he reinvested his proceeds in order to benefit from compounding (and expanded time horizon when size became an execution constraint). "

No . no compounding , see conditions.

" terms of what consistent and successful daytraders are achieveing, well only the brokers know the aggregate picture. But 300% in an 'easy' year is certainly possible "

not by daytrading , they can't get the over night gains . short term swingers yes , I would say 1500% over 2 years is possible .

Though of course only the best can attain these levels.

why not compound your returns??

say you have a scorchio of a month, making 3-4 times an average return.

what would you do with the excess capital built up?

if you wouldnt use this capital to increase your stake you would be bonkers..

>>why not compound your returns??

In my experience it doesn't work , psychology changes dramatically .

trust me on this , I've tried this , it didn't work for me and I have a VERY strict risk control regime, stricter than most.

>>say you have a scorchio of a month, making 3-4 times an average return.

what do you mean by this : 3-4 times an average month ? please be clear.

>>what would you do with the excess capital built up?

bank it , what else.

bearing in mind the max CAR of 20 k . please read original post.

>>if you wouldnt use this capital to increase your stake you would be bonkers..

Please mind your manners. I could easily say for reasons aforeasaid , that you would be bonkers to compound gains to capital.

"So what? My neighbour turned $6 to $800K in less than a week. Guess how".... too easy..

He bought a gun and held up the local bank......