Why do people trade in options and lose money ?

This is a discussion on Why do people trade in options and lose money ? within the Futures & Options forums, part of the Markets category; Originally Posted by forker If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong because I can't ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:56am   #49
Joined Apr 2012
Re: Why do people trade in options and lose money ?

angelnish started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong because I can't be @rsed to give much energy on gaining knowledge on it. While this instrument is traded for profit, isn't it mostly used to offset risk in the futures market for buyers of an underlying commodity that are not speculating for profit from trading the instrument.
Yes You are 100% right
angelnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:56pm   #50
Joined Nov 2010

They probably focus too much on the underlying and not enough on the vol market.

For example i like 3M AUDUSD vol, implieds at 10 realised at 11 and 1 vol of roll down over 2M seems like good value to me given all the current unknowns with China growth and Europe crisis etc.

Last edited by MacroStyle; Aug 7, 2012 at 10:02pm.
MacroStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:19am   #51

9 Posts
Joined Aug 2012

From my opinion i think every one want to become a rich person or business man. So this thought create greed in their minds. So they spend their money in several trades or other businesses. And some time they loss their money.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:52pm   #52

Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by noni View Post
From my opinion i think every one want to become a rich person or business man. So this thought create greed in their minds. So they spend their money in several trades or other businesses. And some time they loss their money.

Have you seen this show? If they ever make season 2 I would love to be part of it!
marameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:06am   #53
Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post

Have you seen this show? If they ever make season 2 I would love to be part of it!
Would you really ?
Why ?
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:09am   #54

Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun View Post
Would you really ?
Why ?
Well...just for fun
marameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:59am   #55
Joined Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Well...just for fun
Funny it is not. Look carefully and you will see it is just a cruel joke pretending to be an opportunity. Awful. Sad,
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:03am   #56

2 Posts
Joined Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyzelor View Post
Options are like any derivative that move along with the underlying value of a stock / index or whatever. I do not see any difference with any other derivative. The point is that the underlying value is important and that you need to 'play' with the time you got left untill they expire. The fun of the game is that both play a role. When you master this you can find pretty awesome opportunities.

Buying an option that expires the same day can make you a great profit when your trading strategy works. So if you are pretty sure that the market is gonna sell off before the put option is gonna expire, an option that's worth a few cents can go up alot.

And you can have great return on a little investment. When it doesn't go the way you want, you just sell them at the stoploss you have provided yourself before you entered the trade.

You don't need margin for options and if you don't work with a stoploss you can't lose more than the money you put in the trade.

I complete agree with you. I don't see how options is less or more risky than stocks more or less. Especially since options are derivatives of stocks.