Winners Win - discuss

The other thing about Winners...... is that they will sacrifice everything for the pursuit of winning or the prize....

This. I think when on the road to success there are times you will have to take risks which are usually done at a time when you are young. I think the benefit of age comes in to play as a younger person may feel that if it all goes tits up they at least have another 40 odd years to rebuild their future whereas someone in their 40s may have other concerns such as children/wife/bills etc.

Looking at duncan banatyne, the man took huge risks early on with those care homes but it paid off.

It also has a lot to do with attitude. winners and losers go into the same category as bramble mentioned. They both are willing to take risks to achieve 'the dream' but it's the work-rate, dedication, mentality, drive and a touch of luck that separates the winners from the losers. It's the losers that blame luck for all their shortcomings, it's the winners that capitalise on their luck.

Last edited:
agreed............and yes I still wake up sweating at night regarding some of the risks I took in my 20's and early 30's financially .....and also to life and limb when I was a partner in an adventure sports company in Australia !

I also think that there is indeed a fine line of luck between financial success and failure
for even the hardest working people .....some just get that extra edge (right place,time ,partner,customer) and end up on Dragons den talking about their millions !

and good luck to them...........I had my shots and mostly they failed ......a few bancruptsies and plenty of spilled blood sweat and emotion along the way......still doesnt mean i'm ready to walk away yet ....although in my 50's now the fear of loosing everything deffinately is a factor in all my current project and investment decisions

thats why you find a lot of people trying the forex / trading business...low (perceived) barriers to entry to make those riches !

N

Last edited:
I also think that there is indeed a fine line of luck between financial success and failure
for even the hardest working people .....some just get that extra edge (right place,time ,partner,customer) and end up on Dragons den talking about their millions !

I agree there is always elements of luck in life. I had a talk about this with a friend the other day. Imagine you have a meeting with some executive about a business plan that you have been working on for the past year that could make or break you.

Scenario A: he just found out his son was on drugs and daughter knocked up all in one week. He's got a dim outlook at the moment and his mind is scrambled. He hears you out but isnt really listening and rejects the idea.

Scenario B: he just got back from a relaxing holiday and is feeling relaxed n refreshed. He hears your pitch takes it all on board and thinks its excellent. You go into partnership and make millions.

Some things could boil down to being at the right place right time like you said, or just factors that you're unable to control.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new to Forex here. As I can see, there is supposed to be much of a winning attitude, luck and understanding the consistency to trade on Forex successfully. I'd like to know how much does it depend on these three things for a new trader like me? And what kinds of consistency exist in Forex market and how do they work?

Hello, I'm new to Forex here. As I can see, there is supposed to be much of a winning attitude, luck and understanding the consistency to trade on Forex successfully. I'd like to know how much does it depend on these three things for a new trader like me? And what kinds of consistency exist in Forex market and how do they work?

It can be interpreted as many different things Coleen, but the best thing you could do as a novice (as I did/still am doing) is to study. If you are determined and have that 'winning attitude' then you will study as much as possible, enveloping yourself within the world of finance. Once you understand it all you should become in tune with what's happening in the market and hopefully have some success.

My advice if you're starting out...learn about the whole market, not just FX, as the market is inter-linked.

I agree there is always elements of luck in life. I had a talk about this with a friend the other day. Imagine you have a meeting with some executive about a business plan that you have been working on for the past year that could make or break you.

Scenario A: he just found out his son was on drugs and daughter knocked up all in one week. He's got a dim outlook at the moment and his mind is scrambled. He hears you out but isnt really listening and rejects the idea.

Scenario B: he just got back from a relaxing holiday and is feeling relaxed n refreshed. He hears your pitch takes it all on board and thinks its excellent. You go into partnership and make millions.

Some things could boil down to being at the right place right time like you said, or just factors that you're unable to control.

ive been to interviews like that .......hard work indeed ;)

the more you understand the markets ...the luckier you will get :p

N

agreed............and yes I still wake up sweating at night regarding some of the risks I took in my 20's and early 30's financially .....and also to life and limb when I was a partner in an adventure sports company in Australia !

and good luck to them...........I had my shots and mostly they failed ......a few bancruptsies and plenty of spilled blood sweat and emotion along the way......still doesnt mean i'm ready to walk away yet ....although in my 50's now the fear of loosing everything deffinately is a factor in all my current project and investment decisions

thats why you find a lot of people trying the forex / trading business...low (perceived) barriers to entry to make those riches !

N
Interesting topic. A related book by Malcolm Gladwell (Outliers) discusses what he sees as the "reasons for success" in terms of environmental factors instead of the usual personality traits, etc. For example, he states that most professional hockey players are born between January and March. Why? Because that would make them the oldest kids in the year (according to north american cut-off dates for most schools), and potentially the biggest, and in turn they'd get into the better teams and more attention from their coach, etc.

By the way, this is my first post on T2W. I've been mostly passive in in the forum until now, and hope to be more active onward.

Cheers

Interesting topic. A related book by Malcolm Gladwell (Outliers) discusses what he sees as the "reasons for success" in terms of environmental factors instead of the usual personality traits, etc. For example, he states that most professional hockey players are born between January and March. Why? Because that would make them the oldest kids in the year (according to north american cut-off dates for most schools), and potentially the biggest, and in turn they'd get into the better teams and more attention from their coach, etc.

By the way, this is my first post on T2W. I've been mostly passive in in the forum until now, and hope to be more active onward.

Cheers

That is actually a really interesting factor, and something that could quite often go unnoticed unless you too the time to actually correlate and study the data. I do environmental factors will have a fair bit to do with it, not just on a really deep level like being born in certain months, but if you're surrounded by success and fortune when your'e younger, chances are you'll know it's possible as you've seen it (proof) and so won't struggle as much to succeed.

That is actually a really interesting factor, and something that could quite often go unnoticed unless you too the time to actually correlate and study the data. I do environmental factors will have a fair bit to do with it, not just on a really deep level like being born in certain months, but if you're surrounded by success and fortune when your'e younger, chances are you'll know it's possible as you've seen it (proof) and so won't struggle as much to succeed.

or conversely you havnt got the hunger as its on a plate already ......;)

Interesting PoV re: nurture v nature. But that's the case in any area of research, not just into success.

The indomitable spirit which causes winners to carry on when others give up is a necessary prerequisite for success in any endeavour. Whether this is developed (nurture) by association and/or immersion; and/or through inherited genetic predisposition (nature) is largely irrelevant – unless you’re looking for a way to replicate or inculcate it.

I’ve not studied any material dissecting the ‘characteristics of success’ which convince me analysing anyone else is the way to go. I honestly believe you either really want something or you simply think you do. Therein lies the rub. A qualitatively different feeling with a quantitatively different outcome – generally.

I believe winning is a mindset that can be taught. But you need someone who can explain it clearly and someone who knows.

For example, he states that most professional hockey players are born between January and March. Why? Because that would make them the oldest kids in the year (according to north american cut-off dates for most schools), and potentially the biggest, and in turn they'd get into the better teams and more attention from their coach, etc.

I think you missed the main point of his argument....he agrees with the 10k hours of focused practice as a base rule to mastery of a discipline, and those born between jan and mar are 10% older than those born at the end of the year, and would have practiced significantly more hours every week. Agree that size is a factor, but skill and coordination from the greater playing time is the crux.

Edit to add (after googling): similar to software entrepreneurs born around 1955....these were the first people to have opportunity to use time sharing terminals, making it possible to get to 10k hours of programming quickly. Bill gates, cos of several lucky coincidences, may have been the only 13yo with nearly unlimited access to a time sharing terminal in 1968 - so had a massive head start in getting to 10k hours.

Matthew syed adds to this in his book 'Bounce' re his table tennis career being moulded by environmental factors - where he lived (near table tennis club), school he went to etc. All was just coincidence. Etc etc.

Last edited: