Your weaknesses and how you have overcome them

shadowninja

Legendary member
I thought this would be a good thread to help newbies overcome what might be a massive hurdle to success in trading: weaknesses. So describe your weakness(es) and what you did to overcome it (them).

My weakness: overtrading through boredom or feeling I should be in the market all the time.

Solution: trade a demo account alongside a live account. When I know that it is much more risky, I go to demo and watch those dollars disappear. On Thursday, I blew $15,000 (375 pips) trying to pick a bottom. It certainly meant I didn't give away real money and proved that I was right to stay out of the market.

On Thursday, I blew $15,000 (375 pips) trying to pick a bottom. It certainly meant I didn't give away real money and proved that I was right to stay out of the market.
Hi shadow',
Would I be correct in thinking that you trade significant size when sim' trading and that the $15k loss is a much larger sum than you would actually have lost had you been trading your real account? If not, this suggests to me that you are either . . .
A. already a very wealthy high net worth individual (we should hook up sometime) or . . .
B. risking waaaaaay too much money on any one trade!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -​
As for my weaknesses, they're too numerous to mention. Being totally crap at anything that comes under the umbrella of 'techie' is high on the list though, e.g. changing a light bulb. As for 'techie' when applied to computers - best not go there!
:cry:

Being awake in the middle of the night I will contribute a weakness other than insomnia although I will first question shadowninja's method. My questions may just indicate that different things work for different people.

I tried the same thing shadowninja, and found it was not a good solution for two reasons. First, taking the sim trade means that you retain the habit of overtrading and are reinforcing the conditioned responses (although not as strongly as if the emotional responses of losing and winning money cut in). Second, I found that I skipped more valid trades than I would have. So I had to force patience upon myself.

I did this by 1) making patience the biggest virtue in trading, 2) limiting my trading period to a few hours (so that my willpower muscles were not worn out), 3) setting a maximum number of trades per day (so I might as well wait for the best ones because I stop and walk away when I hit the number), 4) working to be happy even when I didn't do that number of trades. So I forced a new set of actions on myself --- sort of like not having chocolate in the house.

Actually, overtrading would be my number one problem too. I control it but I still want to do it. Partly its because I see patterns that might work, or patterns that are precursors to the ones that work, and when bored or frustrated with a loser, I feel the urge to take these trades. Not giving way to impulses is one indication of a civilized being.

Namaste

My weakness is trying to decipher why I missed a move on the one hour and did not see it coming.
My normal trading signals did not show on the radar and then I get pissed that I missed a biggish move. I then find myself analysing the move too much instead of just moving on.
I suppose that can be classed as over trading, wanting to capture every move.

How do I get around it? - with difficulty :eek:

You know Dr. Alexander Elder wasn't too far off when he compared losing traders to alcoholics.

Hi my name is R2R and I am a loser. I have it in me to do serious damage to my account. I've done it before. My only goal today is to follow my trading plan and not suffer a meltdown. :D

Weakness: trying to anticipate the direction of a breakout during a consolidation, moving my stop too close after the breakout doesn't materialise, getting stopped out and then watching a 100+ pip move in the direction I originally anticipated. Feeling frustrated and wanting to break the monitor:LOL:

Solution: set and forget orders where the breakout will be confirmed - letting the market come to me instead of 2nd guessing. Laughing at how emotional I can feel over prices bouncing up and down on a screen. Expecting each trade to be a small loss but knowing that 1 will turn out to be a big winner. Knowing that there is always another opportunity in the market if I am patient.

Regularly re-reading useful advice I have encountered such as the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forexbee i have been in a mentality that everyday i should be in trade (though its learning process demo trading), if i didnt get a trade then i feel that iam not worth to do trading

trader_dante
Veteran Member
Many traders, including me, have thought like this. And almost all of them end up losing money.

Your reason of not feeling worthwhile is likely down to the fact that society has taught us that unless we are extremely fortunate, we are rewarded for how hard we work.

For most of us it is a natural thought process to connect hard work with time spent working.

A new trader takes this attitude into the marketplace.

It seems fairly logical - A trader makes his money being IN the market. Therefore the more I trade, the more time I am in the market and the more chance I have of making money.

HOWEVER, this thinking is, in most cases, fundamentally flawed.

Traders don't work for a living. They take risk. There is a subtle but very important difference.

For most traders, the WORK we put in is in the time we are NOT trading. In the time we spend studying the markets past movements to gain an edge, reading up on the market to improve our understanding, analysing any trades we may have taken, constantly thinking about how to improve ourselves.

When we ARE trading, the WORK we will do is WATCHING and WAITING. CONCENTRATING and being PATIENT.

Actually entering the market by buying or selling is the reward for the work we have done.

JUST LIKE those that work in almost every other career (for example an IT technician gets paid by the company he works for) we make our money from other people when we trade (the party that assumes our risk by taking the other side of our trade).

BUT UNLIKE those that work in almost every other career, we risk something.

As traders, we bring more to the table than your average worker who brings a skill to a job that enables him to do the job.

In addition to our skill we also bring our capital. And for most of us that is our hard earned money.

If a skilled worker loses his job (unless it is due to something like an injury) he STILL has his skill but NOT his income. Anotherwords, he STILL has a means of making money but has to find another job.

If a trader loses his capital, he loses his MEANS of making money.

Last edited:
My weakness is trying to decipher why I missed a move on the one hour and did not see it coming.
My normal trading signals did not show on the radar and then I get pissed that I missed a biggish move. I then find myself analysing the move too much instead of just moving on.
I suppose that can be classed as over trading, wanting to capture every move.

How do I get around it? - with difficulty :eek:

Tell you what... I'm good at spotting divergence... after the event. :LOL:

I am so new, the paint hasn't even been finished yet, let alone dried...

but fwiw I have found that one of the ways I managed to stop making hasty decisions was to write a trading diary and put a little comment after each trade about why I think it will be a good trade.

It was originally meant to give me a clue as to my state of mind at entry point, for later review, although a lot of the time I realise I am making a dumb move as I am writing it so its saved me quite a few wasted trades.

Just one of the many weaknesses I am working on, as a newb, I am constantly trying to shave bits off my sloppy technique.

Interesting. And when you realised it was a dumb move, were you proved right (ie that it really was a dumb move)? Also, did you miss any moves because you had to write in your journal?

Interesting. And when you realised it was a dumb move, were you proved right (ie that it really was a dumb move)? Also, did you miss any moves because you had to write in your journal?

Yes, thankfully most of them were unsuitable for the style of trading I was doing at the time. There was a few out of 15 that I didn't take that would have got me a profit, also the other thing was that on most of the trades near the beginning that I took anyway I made losses.

Most of this was when I was only trading a demo account though and I realise that basing my conclusions on 15 trades isn't really great Law of Average testing, I have since stopped even writing the trades into the diary and just mentally check it much more before I trade it. Something I am not sure I would have done had I not originally written it down.

Not sure if I missed moves due to writing the journal, it takes me about 2 mins to write what the indicators are saying, the price, whether I am buying or selling, etc., maybe a few points, but if I am pretty certain I will take the trade then write it after.

My biggest problem at the moment seems to be bet size to my account, but I am working on this.

Last edited:
I have since stopped even writing the trades into the diary and just mentally check it much more before I trade it. Something I am not sure I would have done had I not originally written it down.

Just to confirm though I do still write the diary, I just spend more time reviewing the trades I make now. It was the impulse trades that I have stopped writing down until I have reviewed them more thoroughly.:)

In terms of more positive pts... I believe so.

My diary also has a lot more black ink in it now than the red ink that would tend to get used on the closing trades of my less thought out trades (also some of my very thought out trades, but that might just be because my style of trading is constantly evolving :) ).
It is another thing that can be quite motivating to look at... a quick flick through the diary and you can visually see improvements...interestingly the handwriting also improves as I make more positive trades. Something I wouldn't get from flipping through a trading history on a computerised journal...although I think the handwriting thing is another one of those hindsight factors and would probably be extremely difficult to spot at the time.