Your favourite exotic indicator

You say you know these indicators, but do you really know them? Do you know the statistical basis of bollinger bands? If I suggested standard deviation (or something derived from it) as an exotic indicator, would you be interested?

There are millions of fancy named indicators. You need to have a look at what is behind them, and how this applied to individual markets, to understand if such indicators are worth using or not.

a better move would be to forward test your set-up, run an equity curve then the indicator is likely to carry logic that can be fit into a strategy.....but it needs consistancy and regular occurrence to provide a positive expectancy

good luck with it......

a better move would be to forward test your set-up, run an equity curve then the indicator is likely to carry logic that can be fit into a strategy.....but it needs consistancy and regular occurrence to provide a positive expectancy

good luck with it......

Fancy seeing you here lol!

CanOz

hello,

my favourite technical indicator is one produced by the company for which i work (Home | StockSentry), PVar3. Obviously, I'm biased, so no need to point that out, but I think it's neat.

PVar3 measures the interday percentage change in the price of a stock versus the interday change of the price of the market, and finds where the value lies on its 500 day historical distribution. So, for instance, a value of 0.985 would mean that the interday percentage change in price relative to the market exceeds 98.5% of historical observations. to me, it makes more sense to view price and volume in statistical terms.

cheers,

I don't use many indicators these days...actually only one true indicator, the VWAP. I use the VWAP and one STD as the area not to take trades in, the chop. If I trade in what the market appears to have accepted as value then I usually get chopped up. So why bother. There are exceptions....when someone is hitting the market hard and dropping the bid or lifting offers like they're thin air then I may take a position.

Cheers,

CanOz

I don't use many indicators these days...actually only one true indicator, the VWAP. I use the VWAP and one STD as the area not to take trades in, the chop. If I trade in what the market appears to have accepted as value then I usually get chopped up. So why bother. There are exceptions....when someone is hitting the market hard and dropping the bid or lifting offers like they're thin air then I may take a position.

Cheers,

CanOz

the Don of the Dom...... :p