X-Trader Vs. J-Trader

jimvt

Which is better?

Although I've no complaints with J-Trader it seems that X-Trader is considered superior by some.

Is this true and if so why? What's the difference? Anyone have experience of both?

whole different ball game - once you would use TT -you could never go back to J Trader- but only really a point to have it if you are going to be trading real size and then you are going to look at T1 lines etc as well

so if you make your living from trading - dont even think about it - just get TT - if your p&l tells you that you are still learning or you trade for fun - its going to add more cost per month - but maybe still be worthwhile

its just about its layout and feel - its just right and 100% stable and reliable

Strategic Trader said:
whole different ball game - once you would use TT -you could never go back to J Trader- but only really a point to have it if you are going to be trading real size and then you are going to look at T1 lines etc as well

so if you make your living from trading - dont even think about it - just get TT - if your p&l tells you that you are still learning or you trade for fun - its going to add more cost per month - but maybe still be worthwhile

its just about its layout and feel - its just right and 100% stable and reliable

Thanks ST

I'll look into it. TT doesn't cost that much more where I am anyway.

Hi

I've just quickly had a look to see what X-Trader and J-Trader are.

Please can somebody explain what types of traders these platforms are of use to, why would a trader use such a thing, and what are the benefits? and how high are the costs (approximately)?

Many thanks

jtrader.

cost are per trade or by fee dependent on the broker - you use them to trade! - and whilst both do the job, TT just does it that bit better- but you have to pay for the fact it is that bit better - and most professionals tend to use TT - but it wont turn a bad trader into a good - it just supports a good trader by just having the right feel and the most efficient trade execution - but give each product supplier a call or check it out with a broker - they might even give you a demo on each

It is a good platform if you are trying to leg spreads or scalp. Really designed for high volume day traders who require volume execution where a single tick is important.
Costs vary depending which version you have but for all exchanges and autospreader you are looking at around £1000pcm.

Is TT actually faster than other platforms?

As an example - entering a limit order on CME 6E and CBOT YM , I would guess there is a lag of about half a second on each using J-Trader right now when markets are pretty quiet. In fast markets this can occasionally be worse. Is TT actually better in this regard?

TT order routing should be faster - (they would say it was for sure) - albeit it might be milliseconds - but if everyone is of f their marks at the same time - those milliseconds can make a lot of difference if you are trading in size in a first come - first serve market

If you contact TT they will supply you with a disk of the demo platform including a price generator so you can play aboout with the functionality. Actually if you go to their office in London they wil let you have a go on a simulator that pulls in real market prices. They also let clients test their systems on that platform.

twalker said:
If you contact TT they will supply you with a disk of the demo platform including a price generator so you can play aboout with the functionality. Actually if you go to their office in London they wil let you have a go on a simulator that pulls in real market prices. They also let clients test their systems on that platform.

Thanks. I'll do that.

One reason I'm so specifically interested in Md trader is that J-trader who I currrently use have radically altered their price ladder screen. The old one looked a bit like the MD trader sim in that the prices remain static and it is the bids/offers that climb up or down the ladder. They have recently turned this upside down so that the best bid/offer is always in the centre and the prices move up and down.

Maybe it's just me being slow to adapt but I find this horribly disorientating - I think PATS have seriously stuffed up with this.

Anyway thanks for the tips

Happy Christmas!

Last edited:
TT gives you the choice on the ladder to either lock it or let it float or re-align it every x seconds.

I let the prices slide one way or another as can realign between best bid/offer by right mouse click. Best this way as if you look away or get involved in another screen you immediately see how far market has moved as soon as you come back to your ladders.

twalker said:
I let the prices slide one way or another as can realign between best bid/offer by right mouse click. Best this way as if you look away or get involved in another screen you immediately see how far market has moved as soon as you come back to your ladders.

Yes that would be my preference too and it doesn't seem possible anymore with jtrader.

It seems TT had patented that type of price ladder so PATS have had to drop their version in case of litigation.

Last edited:
Then I would say that the decision is made for you. I am sure you will not regret moving to TT. I changed from another platform last year and now I certainly would not go back.

twalker said:
Then I would say that the decision is made for you. I am sure you will not regret moving to TT. I changed from another platform last year and now I certainly would not go back.

Funny you should say that. I'd just this minute ordered the change.

Thanks for your help.