Why Spread Bet?

Ah, well hearing that makes me feel better (no, not the French lesson, but thanks anyway) - 74 pips off GBP$ ....bit risky trading thru NFPR but got away with it today.

Mine's Chablis as it happens, Waitrose, a very good House. S*d those new world wines, full of oak and tannin....no refinement.

...could be we're heading even further off topic after that comment.

Bon soir (I think)

Hi you two boozers. How refreshingly off topic.
I'm afraid I had a flat day between £/$ daily futures and £/$ Sept.
All well this a.m. but made the mistake of letting SWMBO take me shopping.
Left the Sept. ticking over but had moved my stop in and forgot to shift it out again.
I'm not touching the Dow at the moment 'cause I think it's overdue for a trip south and since I SB day trading in my ammounts isn't worth the effort.
It has been comfortably warm today so not all negative.
I'll be having a pint of Hooky over the weekend at The Trout (Morse's hang out).
Haven't been there since St. George's day, when they laid on a "Rosbif" special.
Sunday I'll get some air under my bum and go and play with a GPS set over north Hampshire, which is where my little bundle of rag and tube is based.
All the best. :)

SBing with fine wine

The pair of you are certainly testing my English skills a bit.Have been looking at Forex as I like the shape of the charts,there appears to be a certain regularity of movement but excuse my ignorance what is NFPR?
Can't fault your choice the good French stuff is by far the best and totally unadulterated.The problem is that your supermarket buyers come over here buy crap Côtes du Rhône at 1€50
a bottle and sell it on at an exhorbitant price so encouraging people to drink the chemically enhanced new stuff.
If it was it would be bonsoir as it is,as I write, it is bonjour-no gaps-
Axthree your testing me so here goes;
She wot must be obeyed-just worked that out as I was about to ask.
As for this and I quote;
"Sunday I'll get some air under my bum and go and play with a GPS set over north Hampshire, which is where my little bundle of rag and tube is based".
Are you a biker?Do you mess with radio-controlled airborn stuff?Perhaps you fly a microlight?
An explanation would certainly be appreciated,cause if "rag and tube" is rhyming slang the only word I can come up with is "dude" and I don't think I want to go there.
Enjoy your pint of Hooky a wonderful ale without a doubt.Still enjoy traditional English sunday roast much to the amusement of French guests trying to come to terms with Yorshire pudding,
horse raddish and lashings of thick gravy washed down with a nice Bordeaux or three.
I Like spreadbetting 'cos it's fun(back on topic)
Bon weekend
Tel :eek: :confused:

Nfpr?

I think I know.
I can confirm that Spike is a fully paid up member of the "National Federation for the Protection of Rodents"
My god still an our to go before apéritif time,back to grouting the bathroom then I suppose.
Spreadbetters do it online(on topic)
Santé
Tel :cheesy:

I'm looking forward to hearing what getting air under one's bum involves too! Some sort of flying surely. I went paraponting in the Alps last year - amazing buzz - I wouldn't mind learning to fly solo one of these days (along with learning the piano, improving my French, typing with more than two fingers, etc, etc, etc...).

Everyone seems to have the same dream (me included) of getting out the rat race and heading for sunnier climes. Mind you, according to the Sunday Times, give it fifty years and the UK will displace France and Italy as the European centre of wine production. Global warming and all that. I'll believe it when I see it (which I might, just).

Like Frog, Ive been considering Forex spreadbetting. How have you found it compared to indices? I was wondering how they are for predictability/trending. D'ya reckon they look good, Frog? Really I'm trying to find a good end of day approach, as I can't (or at least shouldn't) watch the charts too much while I'm working.

Bon chance (only 2 week 'til my mini-break in France :cheesy: , so I'm getting in the mood...)

Calvin

Calvin said:
I'm looking forward to hearing what getting air under one's bum involves too! Some sort of flying surely. I went paraponting in the Alps last year - amazing buzz - I wouldn't mind learning to fly solo one of these days (along with learning the piano, improving my French, typing with more than two fingers, etc, etc, etc...).

Everyone seems to have the same dream (me included) of getting out the rat race and heading for sunnier climes. Mind you, according to the Sunday Times, give it fifty years and the UK will displace France and Italy as the European centre of wine production. Global warming and all that. I'll believe it when I see it (which I might, just).

Like Frog, Ive been considering Forex spreadbetting. How have you found it compared to indices? I was wondering how they are for predictability/trending. D'ya reckon they look good, Frog? Really I'm trying to find a good end of day approach, as I can't (or at least shouldn't) watch the charts too much while I'm working.

Bon chance (only 2 week 'til my mini-break in France :cheesy: , so I'm getting in the mood...)

Calvin

Calvin
You had better get your pad in France as soon as possible before the second home fixation really takes hold and pushes French house prices even higher. ( Unless the french rebel against the rising house prices due to second home buyers - one lives in hope.)

I live in Cornwall where house prices bear no relation to the local economy. Previously people could retire to Cornwall knowing house prices were lower. And, once upon a time house prices were linked to local wages, then along came the second home fad and prices became disconnected from local wages.

Sadly, one can buy cheaper houses anywhere in the UK outside of Cornwall.

Bonjour

NFPR = Non-Farm Payrolls, one of the major market-moving reports each month. It will often move the market violently, which is fine if you're on the right side of it. However, the risk is with spreadbetting companies and so-called Forex bucket shops (who make their own prices), they will sometimes spike their prices on either direction just before the announcement to trigger market orders and/or stops....very sneaky. They also don't always commit to meeting stops at such times. This is what makes trading at that time risky.

Another problem I find with deal4free (in most other respects a good SB) is that their platform can freeze up under heavy trading - disastrous if you end up on the wrong side of a large move and are trying to get out!

I've moved from indices to Forex three months ago - thanks to t2w - read this thread and you'll find a couple of working strategies: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11352

My other personal favourites - Directors, Ruddles County and Abbot Ale. But there's one ale that haunts my memories, and I've no idea whether it's still produced - Royal Oak, a Huntsman's ale from Hampshire I believe. I've never tasted anything so smooth, rich and regal (going all wine-tasting hyperbole now). Can it still be found in its original form?

Off to play in the sunshine...

WR

Neil - I know, it'll all end in tears. I think I've already long missed bargain-time in France. Personally I hope we do get a property price crash, or at least a heavy correction - it doesn't really matter if you already own a property, as it's all relative, and at least it'd bring prices back into the realms of sanity again. Still, could be worse - the AVERAGE price of a flat in Manhatten has just broken the $1m mark.

Waverider - thanks for the link - I'll have a peruse. Do you use one of these strategies yourself, or do you have your own cunning plan?

Calvin.

First of all I would like to thank JT, the inspiration for this semi-scalping/swing intraday 'system'.
It is based on the same premise as JT's B/O 7-10 with a few tweaks.
Timeranges: 12-5, 1-6, 7-8, 1-9, 7-10, 1-10.
The selection of the ranges are consequential or not, thats for you to decide.
I use a 5 pip filter before entering the b/o trade of the range.
Trading 3 lots, i exit 2 after 20pips ( SL 20pips ). I let 1 lot ride (SL at B/E). I trail my stops after i have locked in 50pips on the last lot.
I trade 3 ranges every day. I have not had losing week since i started (May).
These are the basic 'rules'

:eek: What the....?!?! I think I'll ask for a T2W-speak to English phrase book for Christmas!!

I still appreciate the link, Waverider - I just think I'll have do do a bit more study before I can follow it!

Calvin

Last edited:
On and off topic.

Waverider
You English you are so funny.NFPR yes indeed and my response was humorous,something I believe you find difficult for a Frenchman to grasp but then again this response maybe a double bluff with duly intended sarcasm-touché.Have imbibed of all of those except Royal Oak
but I do believe your comparison with good wine is not misplaced when supping a fine ale another of lifes little pleasures.
Calvin
Couldn't possibly do that para wotsit stuff prefer my feet firmly on the ground,vertigo comes to mind as well as a deep seated fear of unreliable mechanical contraptions.I wouldn't worry too much about French wine production we'll just move it northwards and change our ridiculous rules that prevent irrigation or the use of artificial stimulants.
I understand there is currently a backlash in the west of the country with questions being asked by our government about the increased financial burden on the local communities through the "English invasion" and consequent house price inflation,but in relative terms it is still jolly reasonable.As Neil correctly said the same has happened throughout the UK and it does cause severe problems.I use to live in SW Wales and Pembrokeshire is refered to as Little England and Dyfed is not far behind,same problem.
Don't give up on that Forex stuff there is some easier trading strategies at the beginning.There is another good Dow thread by Chartman which is interesting but requires software and an understanding of how to use this stuff,something I have neither the resources or capabilities to
implement.I believe it is also mostly watching the screen stuff which is totally impractical for me.
Got to work tonight for my sins but will get back to you in more detail about how I manage to trade and sleep by day.My new interest in Forex is purely based on the shape of the charts,I think they call it "price action" and the apparent price channels formed which to my untrained eye seem far easier to predict than the Dow which is the only instrument I currently trade.
As you know I'm a great fan of Bigcharts,but apparently they don't have charts for the major Forex pairs.So if anyone's reading this maybe they could point me in the right direction.Currently the Saxo Bank hourly barchart seems to fit my style.I also am not sure about the prices quoted by Fins as they have the IMM prices for SEP and DEC and also $/YEN and $/CHF SEP and DEC prices.The main difference I can see is that the IMM pairs quote the $ as the second price ie £/$ and their SEP quote is currently 1.7737-1.7745.If anyone trades with Fins maybe they could enlighten me please.
Bloody hell don't I go on,quick couple of glasses of lightly chilled Gamay with pâté and baguette
before work me thinks.
Au revoir
Tel

you could try taking a peek at these, the Power Charts on the Arab Brokers site are quite a popular choice.................

http://www.arabonlinebrokers.com/chartsindex.htm

http://www.livecharts.co.uk/

Calvin - take a good saunter around the Forex threads on here, no doubt you'll unearth one or two gems to further your curiosity.....also have a look at NB's site, a whole host of info in there to get your teeth into

http://www.trading-forex-systems.com/index.html

http://www.trading-strategies.info/

Last edited:
frog said:
Waverider
.So if anyone's reading this maybe they could point me in the right direction.Currently the Saxo Bank hourly barchart seems to fit my style.I also am not sure about the prices quoted by Fins as they have the IMM prices for SEP and DEC and also $/YEN and $/CHF SEP and DEC prices.The main difference I can see is that the IMM pairs quote the $ as the second price ie £/$ and their SEP quote is currently 1.7737-1.7745.If anyone trades with Fins maybe they could enlighten me please.
Bloody hell don't I go on,quick couple of glasses of lightly chilled Gamay with pâté and baguette
before work me thinks.
Au revoir
Tel

Here is one chart you can look at ( I got it from http://www.fxcm.co.uk/ )

http://www.dailyfx.com/fxpowerchart/ChartStation.html

BUKS' entry above, under "Arab online brokers," also has a link to "Powercharts" I believe.

;)

Last edited:
Calvin

Yes, I trade it myself - profitable for two months so far. have a look through the thread its all there, but feel free to ask about anything that's unclear.

WR

Thanks for all the Forex pointers, chaps. I've been ploughing through the various links and threads all day (when I should have been painting the kitchen). I think I have information overload now - I need to get out the house before I develop bed-sores (or at least swivel-chair sores)!

Actually, the more you read, the more you realise how little you know. I've been noting down book recommendations, and I've already got a list as long as my arm. Then there's the different indicators, markets, systems, software....and on it goes.

Still, nothing good ever came easy, and I'll continue to beaver away. I realise, of course, that the idea of a forum is to share knowledge rather than just suck it up - so as soon as I have anything useful to contribute, I will! Don't expect that to be anytime soon though...!

Hope y'all have a successful week ahead.

Calvin

Frog, Calvin,Waverider,
Sorry, not been at the screen. SWMBO = She Who Must be Obeyed and was first used as a reference to Margaret Thatcher as far as I can recall in the whitehall farce "Anyone for Dennis".
If you need any further explanation I will oblige either on board or by PM.
"Bundle of Rag and Tube" is indeed a microlight of the fixed wing variety. So called 'cause that's what it's made of.
Sounds fragile but is stressed to withstand up to +6g or -3g. It carries two people at around 125kph
and will go up to 3000m quite happily.( A 747 is stressed to about +2g and -1g.)
A flexwing type recently towed a hang glider over Everest, reaching around 30,000ft.(I think the pilots must have worn their woolly socks)
Will happily expand but probably best for PM. Or visit us on www.bmaa.org and go to discussion groups.
Have a good week ahead y'all :)

Excellent - so how long does it take to learn to fly one? Are there exams and stuff? I've always quite fancied the idea of some sort of flying - I looked into gliders for a while, but it seemed hellishly complicated. The paraponting was great, though I did see a chap come down with a bit of a bump, which put me off a tad. Is it pricey?

Anyone having any excitement in the markets? I've mainly sat things out for the last few days. I have had a small punt on silver rising, and predictably it hasn't so far. This was based on some fundamentals I read about rising demand from industry - so a bit of a longer term proposition probably. Not my style really, but a change is as good as a rest!

Calvin

Does anyone have any advice on betting risk free or Spread betting. Recently i have been betting lots of money to regain myself out of bad positions on various two way sports. eg I bet a boat load on ronnie winning the World Snooker Champs (There was only a slight chance of him losing).
Other sports like Tennis, Rugby.

There must be a website or a forum that can advise a selected few how we can take advantage of worth while bets.

Hi everyone,
Hope you had a good weekend.
Thanks for the Forex info,this site really is the dogs' nads for useful info.
Wish there had been something like this eons ago when I first started out .It would have saved a lot of time and more importantly dosh.
Calvin,I'm a seller of the Dow today have already put two trades on and am looking for possibly a third one as Fins moves their spread up.Last time it hit a big round number (10200) I was caught on the wrong side and had large losses.My rules say sell so that is what I'm doing.
Famous last words eh!
Back later as I am getting ready for the open,got a few days off.Should it spike skywards at the open I'm a seller eventually.
Cheers Frog

Eek!!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't expect that second move up.
DITD not sure what you are asking.Surely nothing's risk free.
Know nothing about sports spreads but do know that when I do a search I have to specify financial or I get heaps of sporting sites.
Got to go slightly anxious at this moment. :confused:
Frog