Why Spread Bet?

frog

49 2
Off topic and only of interest to 3 of us.......

Spike certainly did the business yesterday +137 points,+15 day before (not 5 like I said) +59 on Tuesday and -34 Monday. Was looking for a quick reversal today so sold Fins last night just before the close and am hoping for a nice decline back to 200 though checking the chart its not exactly in a hurry at moment.As I'm about will monitor the situation as my Friday night curry depends on it.
Have heard your having a bit of an Indian summer always my favourite when I was in Blighty with the autumn colours just starting to set in.Despite my Frenchness I do miss the old place sometimes(rose tinted glasses firmly in place)Too bloody hot here for my liking, aircon is still de rigeur just wish I had some.
Dow's closed on Monday very inconsiderate these holidays!
Have a good weekend
Cheers
Tel

Simple comme bonjour :p

waverider

91 2
Frog

Even further off topic....is it legit for you to reside in France, and spreadbet via a UK company? (at least they appear to be a UK company). Where do you get your (no doubt many) cheques sent, uk or France? Is spreadbetting legal, or available in France?

By all means tell me to mind my own business if you don't want to air your personal finances in public (I probably wouldn't!), or send me an email. The reason I ask is I'd like a similar arrangement to yours once I've honed my winning technique....if I'm not in a retirement home before then.

And don't believe what you hear about an Indian summer....its still pretty wet wet wet here, and getting colder.

WR

frog

49 2
Waverider,
In all honesty I haven't got a clue.Though Fins have my French address I still have a bank account in the UK and have most of my earnings paid directly into that and I can withdraw via my bankers card over here.Ok it costs a small amount per withdrawal but it's money for old rope in all honesty so I'm not too fussed,the convenience factor makes it worth it .Fiscally I dread to think but as a French tax payer it's not something I declare to the French fisc.I am dual national and assume as this is tax free UK earnings the French can't touch it,having said that I would hate to have to prove the point.
Spreadbetting is available over here as "parié sur la fluidité des marchés" or more commonly
le spreadbetting(don't you just love French) but due to a lack of financial French I know little about it and am not sure if there are any companies over here that directly deal in it,but its food for thought.
Still can't think of anything more pleasant right now than slipping on the old cardigan,a couple of pints of Hook Norton,an open fire and an old episode of Morse and all that from a Frenchman.Instead it's all fans swirling madly and copious amounts of excessively chilled local rosé.Life is hard sometimes?
I note the Dow is still refusing to drop and I'm getting rather hungry.
Have a good weekend
Cheers
Tel

waverider

91 2
"parié sur la fluidité des marchés"

If I saw that on a menu I'd probably order it (and suspect I probably have).

Thanks for the lowdown, it sounds wonderfully freewheeling. Vive Le Europe (or is it La?).

Must get honing....

WR

frog

49 2
waverider said:
"parié sur la fluidité des marchés"

Actually "L'Europe" .It's that two vowels together job,one has to go.If that rule didn't apply it would be "La" as Europe is a feminin noun.As I said earlier don't you just love French it so ordered and regulated.
20 measly points tonight barely enough for a bloody chapati.Wish these market makers knew what they were at.
Time for another bottle me thinks.
Cheers
Tel

waverider

91 2
Ah, well hearing that makes me feel better (no, not the French lesson, but thanks anyway) - 74 pips off GBP$ ....bit risky trading thru NFPR but got away with it today.

Mine's Chablis as it happens, Waitrose, a very good House. S*d those new world wines, full of oak and tannin....no refinement.

...could be we're heading even further off topic after that comment.

Bon soir (I think)

axthree

185 0
Hi you two boozers. How refreshingly off topic.
I'm afraid I had a flat day between £/$ daily futures and £/$ Sept.
All well this a.m. but made the mistake of letting SWMBO take me shopping.
Left the Sept. ticking over but had moved my stop in and forgot to shift it out again.
I'm not touching the Dow at the moment 'cause I think it's overdue for a trip south and since I SB day trading in my ammounts isn't worth the effort.
It has been comfortably warm today so not all negative.
I'll be having a pint of Hooky over the weekend at The Trout (Morse's hang out).
Haven't been there since St. George's day, when they laid on a "Rosbif" special.
Sunday I'll get some air under my bum and go and play with a GPS set over north Hampshire, which is where my little bundle of rag and tube is based.
All the best. :)

frog

49 2
SBing with fine wine

The pair of you are certainly testing my English skills a bit.Have been looking at Forex as I like the shape of the charts,there appears to be a certain regularity of movement but excuse my ignorance what is NFPR?
Can't fault your choice the good French stuff is by far the best and totally unadulterated.The problem is that your supermarket buyers come over here buy crap Côtes du Rhône at 1€50
a bottle and sell it on at an exhorbitant price so encouraging people to drink the chemically enhanced new stuff.
If it was it would be bonsoir as it is,as I write, it is bonjour-no gaps-
Axthree your testing me so here goes;
She wot must be obeyed-just worked that out as I was about to ask.
As for this and I quote;
"Sunday I'll get some air under my bum and go and play with a GPS set over north Hampshire, which is where my little bundle of rag and tube is based".
Are you a biker?Do you mess with radio-controlled airborn stuff?Perhaps you fly a microlight?
An explanation would certainly be appreciated,cause if "rag and tube" is rhyming slang the only word I can come up with is "dude" and I don't think I want to go there.
Enjoy your pint of Hooky a wonderful ale without a doubt.Still enjoy traditional English sunday roast much to the amusement of French guests trying to come to terms with Yorshire pudding,
horse raddish and lashings of thick gravy washed down with a nice Bordeaux or three.
I Like spreadbetting 'cos it's fun(back on topic)
Bon weekend
Tel :eek: :confused:

frog

49 2
Nfpr?

I think I know.
I can confirm that Spike is a fully paid up member of the "National Federation for the Protection of Rodents"
My god still an our to go before apéritif time,back to grouting the bathroom then I suppose.
Spreadbetters do it online(on topic)
Santé
Tel :cheesy:

Calvin

30 0
I'm looking forward to hearing what getting air under one's bum involves too! Some sort of flying surely. I went paraponting in the Alps last year - amazing buzz - I wouldn't mind learning to fly solo one of these days (along with learning the piano, improving my French, typing with more than two fingers, etc, etc, etc...).

Everyone seems to have the same dream (me included) of getting out the rat race and heading for sunnier climes. Mind you, according to the Sunday Times, give it fifty years and the UK will displace France and Italy as the European centre of wine production. Global warming and all that. I'll believe it when I see it (which I might, just).

Like Frog, Ive been considering Forex spreadbetting. How have you found it compared to indices? I was wondering how they are for predictability/trending. D'ya reckon they look good, Frog? Really I'm trying to find a good end of day approach, as I can't (or at least shouldn't) watch the charts too much while I'm working.

Bon chance (only 2 week 'til my mini-break in France :cheesy: , so I'm getting in the mood...)

Calvin

neil

Legendary member
5,167 749
Calvin said:
I'm looking forward to hearing what getting air under one's bum involves too! Some sort of flying surely. I went paraponting in the Alps last year - amazing buzz - I wouldn't mind learning to fly solo one of these days (along with learning the piano, improving my French, typing with more than two fingers, etc, etc, etc...).

Everyone seems to have the same dream (me included) of getting out the rat race and heading for sunnier climes. Mind you, according to the Sunday Times, give it fifty years and the UK will displace France and Italy as the European centre of wine production. Global warming and all that. I'll believe it when I see it (which I might, just).

Like Frog, Ive been considering Forex spreadbetting. How have you found it compared to indices? I was wondering how they are for predictability/trending. D'ya reckon they look good, Frog? Really I'm trying to find a good end of day approach, as I can't (or at least shouldn't) watch the charts too much while I'm working.

Bon chance (only 2 week 'til my mini-break in France :cheesy: , so I'm getting in the mood...)

Calvin

Calvin
You had better get your pad in France as soon as possible before the second home fixation really takes hold and pushes French house prices even higher. ( Unless the french rebel against the rising house prices due to second home buyers - one lives in hope.)

I live in Cornwall where house prices bear no relation to the local economy. Previously people could retire to Cornwall knowing house prices were lower. And, once upon a time house prices were linked to local wages, then along came the second home fad and prices became disconnected from local wages.

Sadly, one can buy cheaper houses anywhere in the UK outside of Cornwall.

waverider

91 2
Bonjour

NFPR = Non-Farm Payrolls, one of the major market-moving reports each month. It will often move the market violently, which is fine if you're on the right side of it. However, the risk is with spreadbetting companies and so-called Forex bucket shops (who make their own prices), they will sometimes spike their prices on either direction just before the announcement to trigger market orders and/or stops....very sneaky. They also don't always commit to meeting stops at such times. This is what makes trading at that time risky.

Another problem I find with deal4free (in most other respects a good SB) is that their platform can freeze up under heavy trading - disastrous if you end up on the wrong side of a large move and are trying to get out!

I've moved from indices to Forex three months ago - thanks to t2w - read this thread and you'll find a couple of working strategies: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11352

My other personal favourites - Directors, Ruddles County and Abbot Ale. But there's one ale that haunts my memories, and I've no idea whether it's still produced - Royal Oak, a Huntsman's ale from Hampshire I believe. I've never tasted anything so smooth, rich and regal (going all wine-tasting hyperbole now). Can it still be found in its original form?

Off to play in the sunshine...

WR

Calvin

30 0
Neil - I know, it'll all end in tears. I think I've already long missed bargain-time in France. Personally I hope we do get a property price crash, or at least a heavy correction - it doesn't really matter if you already own a property, as it's all relative, and at least it'd bring prices back into the realms of sanity again. Still, could be worse - the AVERAGE price of a flat in Manhatten has just broken the $1m mark.

Waverider - thanks for the link - I'll have a peruse. Do you use one of these strategies yourself, or do you have your own cunning plan?

Calvin.

Calvin

30 0
First of all I would like to thank JT, the inspiration for this semi-scalping/swing intraday 'system'.
It is based on the same premise as JT's B/O 7-10 with a few tweaks.
Timeranges: 12-5, 1-6, 7-8, 1-9, 7-10, 1-10.
The selection of the ranges are consequential or not, thats for you to decide.
I use a 5 pip filter before entering the b/o trade of the range.
Trading 3 lots, i exit 2 after 20pips ( SL 20pips ). I let 1 lot ride (SL at B/E). I trail my stops after i have locked in 50pips on the last lot.
I trade 3 ranges every day. I have not had losing week since i started (May).
These are the basic 'rules'

:eek: What the....?!?! I think I'll ask for a T2W-speak to English phrase book for Christmas!!

I still appreciate the link, Waverider - I just think I'll have do do a bit more study before I can follow it!

Calvin

Last edited:

frog

49 2
On and off topic.

Waverider
You English you are so funny.NFPR yes indeed and my response was humorous,something I believe you find difficult for a Frenchman to grasp but then again this response maybe a double bluff with duly intended sarcasm-touché.Have imbibed of all of those except Royal Oak
but I do believe your comparison with good wine is not misplaced when supping a fine ale another of lifes little pleasures.
Calvin
Couldn't possibly do that para wotsit stuff prefer my feet firmly on the ground,vertigo comes to mind as well as a deep seated fear of unreliable mechanical contraptions.I wouldn't worry too much about French wine production we'll just move it northwards and change our ridiculous rules that prevent irrigation or the use of artificial stimulants.
I understand there is currently a backlash in the west of the country with questions being asked by our government about the increased financial burden on the local communities through the "English invasion" and consequent house price inflation,but in relative terms it is still jolly reasonable.As Neil correctly said the same has happened throughout the UK and it does cause severe problems.I use to live in SW Wales and Pembrokeshire is refered to as Little England and Dyfed is not far behind,same problem.
Don't give up on that Forex stuff there is some easier trading strategies at the beginning.There is another good Dow thread by Chartman which is interesting but requires software and an understanding of how to use this stuff,something I have neither the resources or capabilities to
implement.I believe it is also mostly watching the screen stuff which is totally impractical for me.
Got to work tonight for my sins but will get back to you in more detail about how I manage to trade and sleep by day.My new interest in Forex is purely based on the shape of the charts,I think they call it "price action" and the apparent price channels formed which to my untrained eye seem far easier to predict than the Dow which is the only instrument I currently trade.
As you know I'm a great fan of Bigcharts,but apparently they don't have charts for the major Forex pairs.So if anyone's reading this maybe they could point me in the right direction.Currently the Saxo Bank hourly barchart seems to fit my style.I also am not sure about the prices quoted by Fins as they have the IMM prices for SEP and DEC and also $/YEN and $/CHF SEP and DEC prices.The main difference I can see is that the IMM pairs quote the $ as the second price ie £/$ and their SEP quote is currently 1.7737-1.7745.If anyone trades with Fins maybe they could enlighten me please.
Bloody hell don't I go on,quick couple of glasses of lightly chilled Gamay with pâté and baguette
before work me thinks.
Au revoir
Tel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock