why oh why

It doesn't,
it's one of those 'sum' things, where if you use smaller glasses you need more of them....

I believe it could be that the larger glass allows more oxygen to the wine? One reason why wine also tastes better from a magnum.

Anyone remember those dumb stories of people snorting tea spoons of vodka? :eek:

oerrrrr

Big glass theory doenst seem so hot this morning :eek: especially when i got a cubic metre of ballast sitting outside with my name on it :eek:

So straws it is then ;) :LOL:

I think cheap wine tastes better when drunk.
I think cheap wine tastes better when drunk from a large glass.
I think cheap wine tastes better when drunk from a large glass and chilled (for white) or warmed up to at least room temperature (for red).
Tim.

BBB said:
I believe it could be that the larger glass allows more oxygen to the wine? One reason why wine also tastes better from a magnum.:

But you have to be quick before it drips out of the chambers...

Presumably followed by a shot of vodka...?

I understand that wine is all fragrance and no taste.

So impress your friends at the next opportunity by making that statement and then snorting the entire glass up your nostrils in one authoritative sniff.

Does anyone remember Thunderbird wine? One from my youth (along with barley 'wine')

Tony,
that is ridiculous enough to produce an extremely amusing image in my mind :)
As I sit here (even now) sipping glasses of Bannrock something or other, Chateau Tesco, I find myself agreeing with Timsk somewhat - wine improves with quantity, some quite dreadful stuff becomes quite palatable just before you fall off the chair.
Barley Wine - ooooh, dreadful muck!

darktone said:
does wine taste soooooooo much better from a large glass ;)

hic hic :) :cool: :eek: :cool: :LOL:

Most good wines benefit to a significant extent from being allowed to breathe before drinking eg 30 seconds. The technque of carefully raising the bottle of wine and slowly tilting it into a large glass is one of the best ways of allowing the wine to open up and release its bouquet and flavour.

Ooops.... must have used too large a glass! Wrong boards! I was looking for some trading advice!

I went to buy my usual tipple today but the local chemist won't sell me any more 1 gallon containers of meths. :cry:

BBB said:
Does anyone remember Thunderbird wine? One from my youth (along with barley 'wine')

Yes i remember buying it :) drinking it :) and projecting it towards the pavements of Streatham on the way home :eek: ... The things we do when were plebs :eek: :LOL:

Glad to say at 31 in far more civilised,, well,,, most of the time anyway ;)

I remember as a student, we use to drink this bulgarian red wine from the coop. The first bottle always tasted pretty grim, but the 2nd and 3rd always tasted great. I don't remember what the 4th bottle tasted like. At £1.50 a bottle it was a bargin.

I did have a vintage bottle of champagne that I had promised to open on a special occassion, but it was stolen. So I never got a chance to find out what a £100 bottle of win tastes like.

Ahhh...so that was you was it DarkTone....?

I don't suppose you remember that lonely figure, huddled in the doorway that night with nothing but a threadbare sleeping bag to shield me from the elements.....

Cruelly hauled from a fitful sleep by the sudden and unexpected arrival of....

Taught me never to sleep in the doorway of The High ever again.

TheBramble said:
Ahhh...so that was you was it DarkTone....?

I don't suppose you remember that lonely figure, huddled in the doorway that night with nothing but a threadbare sleeping bag to shield me from the elements.....

Cruelly hauled from a fitful sleep by the sudden and unexpected arrival of....

Taught me never to sleep in the doorway of The High ever again.

hey u wasnt fella i give that fiver to!? :-0

i couldnt have back could i?? :LOL:

A tramp asked me for money yesterday. Couldn't oblige him though as he didn't take black amex cards. Oh well!