Why educate, teach or coach your strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running out of patience is not the sign of a successful teacher, is it?

Were Linus Pauling to have stuck to his initial field he would not have received his second Nobel Prize and we would all have been deprived of the benefits of the great works of a great polymath.
Good lord, Howard... You would try the patience of a saint and I never claimed to be one. But yes, you're absolutely correct, patience is a crucial characteristic of a teacher. However, yet again, I fail to see what Linus Pauling has to do with the discussion we have been having. Why do you not respond to my specific queries, preferring instead to tell me not particularly insightful and relevant anecdotes?
You have failed to convince me that I do not have sufficient knowledge to teach the narrow field of trading credit spreads using my focused strategy. This communication failure could be my fault, but experience suggests it is the least likely alternative.
Of course this communication failure is your fault, Howard. You have not responded to a single specific question/point of mine and there have been more than a few. I am not really sure what else constitutes "communication failure" as you define it.
I have read your arguments and have done my best to analyze them and tried to point out where the premises are wrong so, right or wrong, your conclusion remained unconvincing. Not wrong, just unconvincing.
Well, to be honest, it isn't my goal any more to convince you. I have concluded by now that you're not to be swayed from your path. I just want to see how you can possibly argue that what you're doing is sensible. Given that you're now actually avoiding a discussion, I am losing interest.
You believe you are right and you are righteous about it. If you want to convince me, say it differently rather than saying it louder. Or correct your arguments where the premises do not represent my actual position and remake the argument and see if you come to the same conclusion.
I have absolutely no idea how else I can say what I have been saying all along. I have absolutely no idea where I might be arguing based on false premises.
Your leaving the field of discourse on this would be a great disappointment to me. You are one of the few that digs beneath the surface.
Howard, the only reason I am still here is that I am hoping you will deign to respond to something I say in a specific and relevant fashion, rather than waxing poetic on a unrelated or vaguely related subject. Moreover, I guess I am looking for a confession. In my mind, you're guilty of one of the most heinous and most common transgressions in my profession, i.e. arrogance. Notwithstanding all your protestations, you somehow deem yourself capable of teaching people to trade while possessing virtually no experience and no discernible qualifications. I am hoping that I will eventually manage to convey to you just how absurd this idea is. Note, I mean absurd in an absolute sense, rather than relative to most of the other so called "trading educators" out there.

Howard, the only reason I am still here is that I am hoping you will deign to respond to something I say in a specific and relevant fashion, rather than waxing poetic on a unrelated or vaguely related subject. Moreover, I guess I am looking for a confession. In my mind, you're guilty of one of the most heinous and most common transgressions in my profession, i.e. arrogance. Notwithstanding all your protestations, you somehow deem yourself capable of teaching people to trade while possessing virtually no experience and no discernible qualifications. I am hoping that I will eventually manage to convey to you just how absurd this idea is. Note absurd in an absolute sense, rather than relative to most of the other so called "trading educators" out there.

SIZZLE ........... SIMMER ............. BUBBLE .............

Why - do - you - guys - bother - attempting - to - engage - Howard - in - rational - debate??

(Dash - your lyricism is astounding, send your CV to Xenomania and start penning for music stars!!)

Much sense spoken as usual mr ghoul; I'd just add that I hope your contributions, as well as the ones from the lulz crowd (and alas I am more them than thee) help to convince others, if not Howard himself. In that sense they still have a use whatever he does.

(Will you remove that clamp now? It still hurts you know, even if the gonad tissue is dead)

Good lord, Howard...

Good post. You identify (as have many others) Howard's bizarre arrogance and ceaseless contradictions.

He is so convinced of his own rightness that he appears to have taken leave of reality most of the time.

Much sense spoken as usual mr ghoul; I'd just add that I hope your contributions, as well as the ones from the lulz crowd (and alas I am more them than thee) help to convince others, if not Howard himself.

I confess to being of the lulz crowd now, but in fairness I did attempt to engage in sensible debate at one point; for a while I might add.

However you should realise that I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old and sometimes being rational is a waste of time.....................

I confess to being of the lulz crowd now, but in fairness I did attempt to engage in sensible debate at one point; for a while I might add.

However you should realise that I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old and sometimes being rational is a waste of time.....................

Quite right, and there's no criticism implied in my fawning of mr. g, but I owe him so much a dirty tongue is the least of my worries :LOL:

P.S. 225 posts to go...

Quite right, and there's no criticism implied in my fawning of mr. g, but I owe him so much a dirty tongue is the least of my worries :LOL:

P.S. 225 posts to go...

Yes, I'm spraying bullets with gay abandon on this thread, it will all be over soon.

To be fair to the lulz crowd (of whom I am one, although I have made a number of serious posts today*), what can be expected when someone starts a thread like this.

Why do vendors do it? F*** me, let me mull that intractable one over for a while.

* That number is small, admittedly, but I think the posts were of a reasonable quality :).

Much sense spoken as usual mr ghoul; I'd just add that I hope your contributions, as well as the ones from the lulz crowd (and alas I am more them than thee) help to convince others, if not Howard himself.

(Will you remove that clamp now? It still hurts you know, even if the gonad tissue is dead)
Too late, no more Mr Nice Guy... 'Fraid the 'nad's gotta go.

I guess I could launch into a Howard-esque monologue about how I think everyone is fundamentally good, unless proven otherwise, and hence my repeated attempts to steer Howard away from the Dark Side. However, I'll spare you, and there appears to be no hope for him.

And thank you, meanie, that was a very compelling image.

Much sense spoken as usual mr ghoul; I'd just add that I hope your contributions, as well as the ones from the lulz crowd (and alas I am more them than thee) help to convince others, if not Howard himself. In that sense they still have a use whatever he does.

I think basically that is what all the howard talk is about now. its still a good thread though even just for the sheer unbelievableness of his denial, and as well there are some good lulz.

With any luck anyone who wants to be taught by him will find these threads from a google search and see that by the end just how irrational his posts are and with how much contempt he is held in by the people that do understand.

I think basically that is what all the howard talk is about now. its still a good thread though even just for the sheer unbelievableness of his denial, and as well there are some good lulz.

With any luck anyone who wants to be taught by him will find these threads from a google search and see that by the end just how irrational his posts are and with how much contempt he is held in by the people that do understand.

It's getting weird now, he's just swearing blind that black is white. Somebody sent a PM a while back, saying that in their opinion he was genuinely deluded because he had a burning desire to succeed at something, and this left him practically incapable of accepting criticism.

I don't know, but it would explain a lot.

Howard, the only reason I am still here is that I am hoping you will deign to respond to something I say in a specific and relevant fashion, rather than waxing poetic on a unrelated or vaguely related subject. Moreover, I guess I am looking for a confession. In my mind, you're guilty of one of the most heinous and most common transgressions in my profession, i.e. arrogance. Notwithstanding all your protestations, you somehow deem yourself capable of teaching people to trade while possessing virtually no experience and no discernible qualifications. I am hoping that I will eventually manage to convey to you just how absurd this idea is. Note, I mean absurd in an absolute sense, rather than relative to most of the other so called "trading educators" out there.

You don't get the point of the Linus Pauling comment? Evidence of a communication breakdown as I was responding to your comment in a non-threatening way. Oh well, I'll have to try a different tack.

You don't like my use of humor or analogy to illustrate where I disagree and maintain that I am unresponsive. For once, you render me speechless.

Your knowledge of options prevents me from giving up on you in spite of your limitations in communicating with me. It disappoints me that this post is primarily a "say it louder" post rather than a "say it differently" post. Only because I respect you will I try to find the time to review our dialogues to respond more in your frame of reference rather than ask you to communicate in mine. Even if it violates everything I know about teaching. I guess my desire to learn overcomes my compulsion to be a pedant on teaching method.

You have offered to perform a test that would either completely debunk or at least not invalidate (confirm is too much to expect of back testing) most of what I advocate. You recall that I offered to help in any way I could because I wanted to know if I messed up. If your test proves that I messed up in my back test analysis, that would go a long way to convincing me that I should reconsider my trading approach and my plans to teach it.

It's getting weird now, he's just swearing blind that black is white. Somebody sent a PM a while back, saying that in their opinion he was genuinely deluded because he had a burning desire to succeed at something, and this left him practically incapable of accepting criticism.

I don't know, but it would explain a lot.

He's Gordon Brown in disguise. There's something vaguely psychopathic about it, is that the right term?

(PM = prime minister??)

Agree, except I'd only add that it's a terrible shame - Howard is acting in good faith, I really do think so... he's just being pig headed about it. It would be much better for everyone if we could come up with some other strategy for Howard... he seems a decent man to me... I can only fault him (in a moral sense; I can find much more faults trading wise but so can others) in that he does use debating, or perhaps we'll call 'em oratory, techniques that are designed to win rather than to get to the truth (but whether this is intentional or not I can't tell)... we are still all confused about what to do here and to be honest this post doesn't help in that sense other than to set out the situation :)

You don't get the point of the Linus Pauling comment? Evidence of a communication breakdown as I was responding to your comment in a non-threatening way. Oh well, I'll have to try a different tack.

You don't like my use of humor or analogy to illustrate where I disagree and maintain that I am unresponsive. For once, you render me speechless.

Your knowledge of options prevents me from giving up on you in spite of your limitations in communicating with me. It disappoints me that this post is primarily a "say it louder" post rather than a "say it differently" post. Only because I respect you will I try to find the time to review our dialogues to respond more in your frame of reference rather than ask you to communicate in mine. Even if it violates everything I know about teaching. I guess my desire to learn overcomes my compulsion to be a pedant on teaching method.

You have offered to perform a test that would either completely debunk or at least not invalidate (confirm is too much to expect of back testing) most of what I advocate. You recall that I offered to help in any way I could because I wanted to know if I messed up. If your test proves that I messed up in my back test analysis, that would go a long way to convincing me that I should reconsider my trading approach and my plans to teach it.

Picard-no-facepalm.jpg

482.jpg

tactical_facepalm.jpg

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Howie, seriously, is there something wrong with with you? I am genuinely getting worried about you, and think that maybe people should not respond to your posts in case they push you over the edge.

What planet are you on?

If the poster has too few posts, you disregard them.

If they have too many, that now seems to be an issue as well.

Is there an optimal number of posts that one should have? :)

That's trader dependent. For some it might be less than 3500.

Peter

You display an amazing ignorance of promotion. Rather than pray that no-one finds these posts, I frequently refer people to them. It just increases my sign-up list. The weak sisters that buy what you guys say without thinking for themselves are not the students I'm interested in. Many are considerably skeptical thanks to you guys. That is a good thing for them as well as form me. They sign up just to see what its all about or to watch me possibly crash. Sort of like NASCAR fans. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.