Why does the USD/JPY link to the EUR/JPY, but the USD/JPY is negative to the EUR/USD

I know that. I've been trading these for years. Why is one called USD/JPN and the other Euro/USD?

It doesn't matter. If you can't see what I am getting at, forget it, it's not that important.

Ah you just mean quotation priority??

The majors follow the policy of relative strength on inception of the cross (hence GBP/USD, NZD/USD and AUD/USD, while the JPY has always been a much smaller unit of relative value and ranks lowly in crosses and is almost always the quote currency), except for the Euro, which bucks the trend based on what I understood to be an ECB ruling regarding base dominance, though it only bucks the trend in regards to the GBP (off the top of my head) as it would have been quoted first over the USD following historical convention regardless since it opened at... something. 1.2 I think. Ish.

If that isn't what you mean then yeah I still don't get it. :cry:

Last edited:
it would appear that explaining how they are measured seems almost as difficult as trading them ?

N

Sorry if you took any offence earlier re base vs quote, I thought perhaps you were equities only or some such.

No problem. I must ask questions more clearly, next time, to avoid misunderstandings.

Thankfully. I don't ask many! :D