Why does the USD/JPY link to the EUR/JPY, but the USD/JPY is negative to the EUR/USD

hybrid

can someone explain this to me simply?

in the real world everything is linked to the Dollar (Fiat currency system) so how can some currency pairs be negative in correlation to eachother?

thanks good people.

Last edited:
Perhaps rather than ask

how can some currency pairs be negative in correlation to eachother?

You could ask, is it possible for all currencies (or exchange rates) to be positively correlated to eachother?

Perhaps, you better refer to you lecture notes on correlation.
Its easier to read on your own.
Check out some infor about carrytrade too

I've wondered that, myself. The pair does not seem to be named correctly. Should it not be JPN/USD if the chart says 100?

Perhaps rather than ask

You could ask, is it possible for all currencies (or exchange rates) to be positively correlated to eachother?

But it is possible because they are - all are linked to the dollar...which is linked to....nothing.....as the gold standard was abolished in the 60s (or 70s).

I am still none the wiser to my original Question :help:

correlations be damned.take them as arbitrary.they are there when they are there and not when they are not.and they are usually not when its become customery wisdom that they are.

But it is possible because they are - all are linked to the dollar...which is linked to....nothing.....as the gold standard was abolished in the 60s (or 70s).

I am still none the wiser to my original Question :help:

So start with the correlation between EUR/USD and USD/EUR. Both are 'linked' to the dollar. Next extend the thought to something less trivial, i.e. not just the inverse relationship, but consider more currencies.

So start with the correlation between EUR/USD and USD/EUR. Both are 'linked' to the dollar. Next extend the thought to something less trivial, i.e. not just the inverse relationship, but consider more currencies.

ah, a great way of putting it - thank you very much.... i am there now :) apologies for being slow.

shakones initial comment re flipping your thoughts sums it up well.....or you asked a more retarded question than first thought......

"Why does the USD/JPY link to the EUR/JPY, but the USD/JPY is negative to the EUR/USD"

back test for.....lets go wild.......a month, & you will answer the above. wake up?

Why does the USD/JPY link to the EUR/JPY, but the USD/JPY is negative to the EUR/USD

Hi Hybrid,

To understand these correlations, it's first important to know how to read a currency quote. The first currency listed in a currency pair is the base currency. The second currency is the counter currency (AKA the quote currency).

So for USD/JPY, USD is the base currency, and JPY is the counter currency. For EUR/JPY, EUR is the base currency, JPY is the counter currency.

When you look at the chart for a currency pair and see the price rising, it means the base currency is rising in value relative to the counter currency. It is equally correct to say that the counter currency is falling in value relative to the base currency.

Going back to the example of USD/JPY and EUR/JPY, since JPY is the counter currency for both pairs, you will see both pairs rise in value when JPY falls, and both pairs will fall in value when JPY rises.

If you compare USD/JPY and EUR/USD, the one currency both pairs have in common is USD. However, USD is the base currency of USD/JPY, while it's the counter currency of EUR/USD. The means, if USD is rising in value, you will see USD/JPY rise while EUR/USD falls.

I hope that helps.

Jason

Last edited:
I've wondered that, myself. The pair does not seem to be named correctly. Should it not be JPN/USD if the chart says 100?

I used to feel the same when I first read currency quotes, because I kept thinking of the "/" symbol as part of a fraction with the numerator first and the denominator second. However, with currency quotes, it's the reverse. We are saying that 1 unit of base currency is equivalent to so many units of the counter currency. Or with USD/JPY, one unit of USD is equivalent to so many units of JPY.

Hi Hybrid,

To understand these correlations, it's first important to know how to read a currency quote. The first currency listed in a currency pair is the base currency. The second currency is the counter currency (AKA the quote currency).

So for USD/JPY, USD is the base currency, and JPY is the counter currency. For EUR/JPY, EUR is the base currency, JPY is the counter currency.

When you look at the chart for a currency pair and see the price rising, it means the base currency is rising in value relative to the counter currency. It is equally correct to say that the counter currency is falling in value relative to the base currency.

Going back to the example of USD/JPY and EUR/JPY, since JPY is the counter currency for both pairs, you will see both pairs rise in value when JPY falls, and both pairs will fall in value when JPY rises.

If you compare USD/JPY and EUR/USD, the one currency both pairs have in common is USD. However, USD is the base currency of USD/JPY, while it's the counter currency of EUR/USD. The means, if USD is rising in value, you will see USD/JPY rise while EUR/USD falls.

I hope that helps.

Jason

well written, and clears up what i now see as something very simple.

still, no such thing as a silly question :) :whistling

Splitlink is this sarcasm or have you been into the snuff again....? USD is the control if quoted first and therefore it is named correctly (i.e. 100 JPY to make a single USD). Just as the Euro is the static control in EUR/USD and you need 1.33 USD to make a single EUR.

Splitlink is this sarcasm or have you been into the snuff again....? USD is the control if quoted first and therefore it is named correctly (i.e. 100 JPY to make a single USD). Just as the Euro is the static control in EUR/USD and you need 1.33 USD to make a single EUR.

Take a look at the charts and tell me again. The scale is Yen to the dollar, but the title does not conform to the rule, does it? If it does, what about the Euro/USD chart?

I always thought that the control was quoted second.

Attachments

• JPBUS.jpg
    JPBUS.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 184
  • EuroUSD.png
    EuroUSD.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 195
I just think of this as a fraction to help me, i.e. if you have the fraction a/b=2, then you'd probably agree a=2*b

So
EUR/USD=1.33 means

1 EUR = 1.33 USD

If it was JPY/USD=96 then 1 JPY would be 96 dollars.

Last edited:
I just think of this as a fraction to help me, i.e. if you have the fraction a/b=2, then you'd probably agree a=2*b

So
EUR/USD=1.33 means

1 EUR = 1.33 USD

If it was JPY/USD=96 then 1 JPY would be 96 dollars.

Yes, that's the way I do it, too.I have no problem,really, and have traded it for years and, when I brought it up, a long time ago I realised, afterwards, that it was not what OP was talking about in his first post and forgot about it.

Take a look at the charts and tell me again. The scale is Yen to the dollar, but the title does not conform to the rule, does it? If it does, what about the Euro/USD chart?

I always thought that the control was quoted second.

Da, the EUR/USD proves the USD/JPY cross as being correct. The latter currency requirement to buy a single unit of the the former is quoted on the Y-axis in both cases. They both conform to exactly the same rule.

1.33 USDs to buy the EUR. 100 JPYs to buy the USD.

Da, the EUR/USD proves the USD/JPY cross as being correct. The latter currency requirement to buy a single unit of the the former is quoted on the Y-axis in both cases. They both conform to exactly the same rule.

1.33 USDs to buy the EUR. 100 JPYs to buy the USD.

I know that. I've been trading these for years. Why is one called USD/JPN and the other Euro/USD?

It doesn't matter. If you can't see what I am getting at, forget it, it's not that important.