Why do they do it?

Interestingly enough, I wonder what the variance in trading is like compared to poker. It's not unheard of for pro poker cash players to drop 60%+ of their bankroll before increasing it again and that's when they are playing good poker not making any mistakes :cry:

I did 30% in Jan too, maybe I can do 1000% by the end of the year :)

The variance in poker at the highest levels is much, much higher than in trading. At the low end where the games are easier and can be beaten with a more mechanical style the variance is lower. My largest drawdown when I played professionally was about 30%.

Playing online you can do alot of volume, however, which can smooth the equity curve somewhat. Nevertheless, my equity curve over 3 years and about 5 million hands included a patch lasting over 3 months where I essentially broke even.

This was even though I was crushing the games in terms of expectancies and playing 4-8 tables at once, for 80+ hours per week. With equity swings of £10k+ a day as you can imagine it was pretty tough to stick with the 'system'

No professional poker player should drop 60% of their bankroll if they are using correct 'position sizing'. The only reason I take greater risk in trading is because the variance is lower and the edge is higher, so its worth the stretch imo..

The variance in poker at the highest levels is much, much higher than in trading. At the low end where the games are easier and can be beaten with a more mechanical style the variance is lower. My largest drawdown when I played professionally was about 30%.

Playing online you can do alot of volume, however, which can smooth the equity curve somewhat. Nevertheless, my equity curve over 3 years and about 5 million hands included a patch lasting over 3 months where I essentially broke even.

This was even though I was crushing the games in terms of expectancies and playing 4-8 tables at once, for 80+ hours per week. With equity swings of £10k+ a day as you can imagine it was pretty tough to stick with the 'system'

No professional poker player should drop 60% of their bankroll if they are using correct 'position sizing'. The only reason I take greater risk in trading is because the variance is lower and the edge is higher, so its worth the stretch imo..

10k a aday? What blind level was that?!

T

Let's hope you can keep it up consistently in the long-term.

10k a aday? What blind level was that?!

He said 10k equity swings a day. This is something different to what you think. Or he meant what you think but gone and used the word incorrectly.

$10/20 and $25/50 NL mostly

largest losing day i ever had was about -$27k

So you played 80+hrs/week and managed to find games running all the time at those stakes? What site(s) / SN? I find it hard to believe you played 5 million hands over 3 years at those stakes. At least put up a PT3/HEM graph. I don't get why you'd only be willing to put up 1 buy-in to trade with either.

my equity curve over 3 years and about 5 million hands

That equates to 1 hand being played every 20 seconds for 24 hours of every day of the 3 years with no rest at all for sleep etc,

Paul

That equates to 1 hand being played every 20 seconds for 24 hours of every day of the 3 years with no rest at all for sleep etc,

Paul

Dunno.
60 hands per hour on the online table.
8 tables
11 hours a day (80hrs per week / 7 days)
That's 5,280 hands a day

5m / 5280 = 946 days

946 days / 365 = 2.59 years

but how many tables of 10/20 or 25/50 do you get ;)

Paul

Blackbison said he plays 4-8 tables. Now if we take a well known player named nanonoko who happens to play 24 tables simultaneously and is one of the highest volume players around he's managed to put in just over 4.5m hands over the last 2 and a half years or so. Keep in mind that is playing 24 tables and he's one of the highest volume players. Chiren80 is also a mass tabler who has been known to play 24+ tables for 18hrs straight at a time. and he has played just over 2 years and has just over 5 million hands. In conclusion, there is no way black bison has played 5 million hands of 10/20 - 25/50 playing 4-8 tables over the last 3 years. Sorry mate, you're talking ****, you can't run a poker bluff on a trading forum because eventually you'll be caught by someone who does happen to know about both.

He said 10k equity swings a day. This is something different to what you think. Or he meant what you think but gone and used the word incorrectly.

So you played 80+hrs/week and managed to find games running all the time at those stakes? What site(s) / SN? I find it hard to believe you played 5 million hands over 3 years at those stakes. At least put up a PT3/HEM graph. I don't get why you'd only be willing to put up 1 buy-in to trade with either.

I never said I played all the hands at those stakes. It includes all the small stakes games I played as I ran the account up. So probably only 20% of the total are at 10/20 and higher stakes. The 3 month breakeven period I was referring to was at those stakes.

I did not put up 1 buy in to trade with- my first deposit into IB in 2007 was £10k. Lets just say 6 months later I wished I had only put in £3k :cheesy:

I lost money trading for a long time trying to figure things out. I suppose I should have deposited everything and bet big whilst I was still a losing trader, right?

For a pair of trading veterans who act like they know everything, you and Dion sure don't seem to know much about bet sizing..

Blackbison said he plays 4-8 tables. Now if we take a well known player named nanonoko who happens to play 24 tables simultaneously and is one of the highest volume players around he's managed to put in just over 4.5m hands over the last 2 and a half years or so. Keep in mind that is playing 24 tables and he's one of the highest volume players. Chiren80 is also a mass tabler who has been known to play 24+ tables for 18hrs straight at a time. and he has played just over 2 years and has just over 5 million hands. In conclusion, there is no way black bison has played 5 million hands of 10/20 - 25/50 playing 4-8 tables over the last 3 years. Sorry mate, you're talking ****, you can't run a poker bluff on a trading forum because eventually you'll be caught by someone who does happen to know about both.

LOL, now he is running a poker bluff! I just spat my butternut squash and sage sauce all over the keyboard, damn you!

This stuff is priceless by the way guys. Keep it up.

There is no better place to spend a Saturday night than watching a bunch of people voice an opinion on everything they have absolutely no experience of.

P.S That wasn't aimed at you Masquerade. I'm sure you could spot a crook, a mile off :)

And Bison, get off my thread. You're stealing my limelight.

I just saw the last post by Masquerade. As I said I was referring to the breakeven patch, for the purposes of my variance example. My point was even with that kind of volume i broke even for 3 months..

When I played lower stakes and the game was much easier I played 10+ tables at once. I also played alot of SNGs, which are very mechanical and require little to no attention, unlike a cash game. I used to 20 table those.

So one of us doesn't know what hes talking about here alright..

You didn't play 5m hands, no matter how much you change your story. What sites/SN did you play on? What software did you use to play the SNGs? You're going to have to post a graph or some proof otherwise i'm sticking with my line.

LOL, now he is running a poker bluff! I just spat my butternut squash and sage sauce all over the keyboard, damn you!

This stuff is priceless by the way guys. Keep it up.

There is no better place to spend a Saturday night than watching a bunch of people voice an opinion on everything they have absolutely no experience of.

P.S That wasn't aimed at you Masquerade. I'm sure you could spot a crook, a mile off :)

Yes, he can say whatever he wants about poker because less than 10 people on this forum actually have an in depth of knowledge of poker in terms of playing it on a daily basis and what it entails. Sure, they might have an account and log on for a few hours/week but they just don't have the extensive knowledge to be able to comprehend what 4-8 tables for 3 years equates to in terms of hands - especially at 10/20, 25/50 where there aren't games running all day, unless BB is a huge fish and everyone hunts him. Frankly, without some information such as SN/Sites etc. i'm going to remain sceptical.

As for spotting a crook a mile off, put it this way. I've never been involved with any scams that have circulated on these boards. Whereas other more "intelligent" members have.

Yes, he can say whatever he wants about poker because less than 10 people on this forum actually have an in depth of knowledge of poker in terms of playing it on a daily basis and what it entails. Sure, they might have an account and log on for a few hours/week but they just don't have the extensive knowledge to be able to comprehend what 4-8 tables for 3 years equates to in terms of hands - especially at 10/20, 25/50 where there aren't games running all day, unless BB is a huge fish and everyone hunts him. Frankly, without some information such as SN/Sites etc. i'm going to remain sceptical.

As for spotting a crook a mile off, put it this way. I've never been involved with any scams that have circulated on these boards. Whereas other more "intelligent" members have.

5million hands is alot. Playing 250 hands on 20 tables for 1000 days. I'm massively short his figure. Yours you c**t. Although some tables can average over 100 hands an hour.