Why do so many find trading difficult?

Fugazsy

Veteren member
3,661 677
Trading is neither easy or difficult, it is commitment.

Many can have a serious of positive weeks/months which demonstrate nothing.

People needs to decide what they want to be: an amateur trader like the most or a professional trader like a few.

To be a professional trader fully commitment is required mentally and in skills as with any professional player in any kind sport.

It takes stamina, convictions, ability and as I said before fully commitment.

Traders are not born, they make themselves.

Reactions: tokyojoe

forker

2,688 500
5 months is not enough to say trading is easy. Trends can run for 5 months and longer then the market can change and either slop around or reverse. When that happens you have to adapt or your profits will slowly disappear. If you can continue making money throughout these changes then you have something tangible in your statement. Otherwise it's premature

Last edited:

dianajs

Established member
533 8
Trading is neither easy or difficult, it is commitment.

Many can have a serious of positive weeks/months which demonstrate nothing.

People needs to decide what they want to be: an amateur trader like the most or a professional trader like a few.

To be a professional trader fully commitment is required mentally and in skills as with any professional player in any kind sport.

It takes stamina, convictions, ability and as I said before fully commitment.

Traders are not born, they make themselves.
I think that how easy (or difficult) trading is depends on the individual. Some take to it easier than others, depending on their individual qualities. That said, I totally agree about it being a commitment. It's a job like any other and in order to do a job properly you need to commit to it.

chocabloc

51 3
Not really understood this concept. Unless someone gets lucky with some hunch trades, little to no real knowledge of how the markets work, I think someone who trades profitably for a few months should be able to remain so in the long run. What makes someone profitable first few months only to then go on to lose? This concept never made sense to me. If someone knows what they're are doing and are profitable in the first few months then they should remain so, provided they are keeping to form, but if someone gets lucky in the first few months, or catching the beginning of a strong bull run or a bear retreat, then that would be a different story. I have proven I can trade profitably in all market conditions.
I doubt you have traded long enough to have experienced all market conditions eg when was you last experiencing delevraging and even then was this " ugly or beautiful " delevraging?

tokyojoe

Established member
874 289
blimey, what a cheery thread !!

maybe they fail because they don't want advice, only corroboration

round & round goes the wheel !

purple_turtle

24 0
well, only been at it for a few weeks and I am failing because I did not have an idea about risk management as well as not having or sticking to a strategy. Have sorted out the first, now it's getting, and then sticking too, a half decent strategy.

mlawson71

154 3
well, only been at it for a few weeks and I am failing because I did not have an idea about risk management as well as not having or sticking to a strategy. Have sorted out the first, now it's getting, and then sticking too, a half decent strategy.
The good news is that as a newbie you have all the time in the world to learn. People who still make the same mistakes 2-3 years down the line have a big problem.

forker

2,688 500
Define mistake...

dianajs

Established member
533 8
One other thing that occurred to me - people find trading difficult simply because they are not sufficiently prepared for it. Many newbies go into forex trading thinking they'd make quick profits with little effort and reality often isn't further from this.

sun11

Experienced member
1,474 337
Doesn't have enough psychological strength.
Not enough strength to draw a line between gambler self & trader self.
That's why they find it difficult.

mlawson71

154 3
Define mistake...
There are many mistakes one can do while trading, obviously. They might not take into account obvious resistance and support levels, they might use an inappropriately large (for their account) lot size, they might miss the fact that is a high impact event that day, etc.etc.

forker

2,688 500
There are many mistakes one can do while trading, obviously. They might not take into account obvious resistance and support levels, they might use an inappropriately large (for their account) lot size, they might miss the fact that is a high impact event that day, etc.etc.
Those are mistakes typically made by novice traders. To put it differently, you could get all the basics right and still not make money over time. It takes more than mastering basics to make money

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock