Why do so few succeed?

RUDEBOY said:
Tunnel, DB is right. Look, kid, what exactly do you need to know? You seem very helpless and lost. Tell me, Tunnel. Do you have to pay for a system?

I've never paid for a system. However, if you're aware of a system that one can buy that is consistently profitable, I would certainly explore it. That's contrary to my makeup, however, which has been to make a go of it on my own rather than have someone hand it to me.

Charlton said:
tunnel
I agree that the mind aspects are a significant part of the problem. However it can be other factors as well. It depends on your definition of a discretionary methodology.

A discretionary system contains elements of the mechanical. Granted there is no automatic "beep", no automated trade, but the same rules that may have been built into a purely mechanical system have been internalised within your thought patterns, such that some aspect of the methodology is not purely psychological but more logical. The problem is that the logical underpinning may have altered - the market may have altered, even though your emotional and pscyholical state has not.

It is difficult to see how one can banish the logic altogether resorting to pure randomness and, then, the emotional and psychological would have little to play with. It could only say I will continue to play this random game or stop.

Charlton
And just imagine if you can, how boring it would be, if the emotional and psychological elements were overcome or removed altogether ?

Tedious and repetitive and predictable it would become, like a sort of conveyor belt existence.

No more fun, no more sweaty palms, no more adrenaline rush or uncertainty or fear or hope or greed. No more excitement or anything to prove or conquer...

You would no longer have the challenge and just stop for a while now and then and feel guilty as a result, and just let the others have a chance, would you not, silly sentiment isn't it ?

ZDO said:
And the point?

Real men trade Bonds ?? :cool:

And how does this relate to the topic?

How about – Most traders do not acknowledge that trading is a debt game and most traders do not acknowledge that they are competing against the guy in the white hat and that actually Curious George could kick their a$s all over the village if he took a notion.

Brilliant...!
In my Reality..
If Good is weaker than its opposite or indifference but its opposite is sdvantagous then how could natural selection left so much of it about...

Like Homosexuality, I dont buy that it is largly genetic other wise sury such a genetic trait will lead to less child bearing opportunities from such genes...Be happy and not have kids or be unhappy and have kids?? comaper to be happy and have kids or be unhappy and have kids...?

Bac to the morality If emotiion and the good way are such competitive disadvantages how come it wasnt lost from our society?

I percive Good and the forces of such and the respective opposites avery where. I'm soo pleased that I am not Peer less.

I realised that when I sought money for lust of it(or other immoral purposes) I couldnt get any even though the way a head was simple and clear (in my former times). The same plauged me in this arena.

Then setp wise I widended the purpose of my pursuit and the moral need for that return. Each time the way to to proceed in this uncertain arena became clear (not to the end just what to do next).
I know I will hit the bufers when I go back to limitting myself.

You see in my reality I have moral values and until i lined my time and, "my occupatio" with them I could not tackle some of the incosistiencies on "My List"
How could I do It when ALL of me didnt want to..... Internal resistance.

Thank the Lord I am onside! And others are too.

I spent most of my adult life a staunch open Athiest. I thought I knoew it all...I could defeat all religionists in arguments I thought they were Blind could not see it, not understand what we know now in mordern times and all that stuff. Then I started seeing cracks like Truman.. I Hunted and questioned and as the crack deppend I got to my own reality.

I cant prove it but I feel It. And why must you assume that if your were created that your creator would gift you with the abality to frame the right questions.

And no one ever answered My question on the matrix thread.... What Testable prediction is there for the concept that all this was not created.

LIke Socrates said in another post.. Most people pay more attention at the messengers than the message. Is there not a basic thread between all the messages.

dbphoenix said:
Actually, that would be imperiousness, fringed perhaps with disdain. Given Bertie's delivery, it can be confused with irony. The sense that it's overwhelming and descending, like molasses, provide a clue to its true character.
Listen, you make it very akward, you know.

When I disagree with you you don't like it.

When I start to play the game in harmony with you, and I let you get away with it, you don't like it either.

So what exactly is it you really like eh ? What exactly ?

Charlton said:
tunnel
I agree that the mind aspects are a significant part of the problem. However it can be other factors as well. It depends on your definition of a discretionary methodology.

A discretionary system contains elements of the mechanical. Granted there is no automatic "beep", no automated trade, but the same rules that may have been built into a purely mechanical system have been internalised within your thought patterns, such that some aspect of the methodology is not purely psychological but more logical. The problem is that the logical underpinning may have altered - the market may have altered, even though your emotional and pscyholical state has not.

It is difficult to see how one can banish the logic altogether resorting to pure randomness and, then, the emotional and psychological would have little to play with. It could only say I will continue to play this random game or stop.

Charlton

Yes, I agree that discretionary has elements of mechanical in them. That's why I refer to it as a methodology. The trade will not be taken except when this particular set up is in place and then there is an entry trigger. It's not mechanical in the sense that the set up cannot necessarily be programmed into a computer which spits out buy/sell signals. Although, I admit my view of mechanical may be too rigid. But, as an example, if one trades like Dan Zanger, one would be a discretionary trader. He has a certain set up with certain fundamental factors and certain patterns he looks for - cup and handle, bullish flag, etc. When that set up is met, he will take the trade. But, determining whether a pattern is correct or present or not requires the exercise of discretion. I don't think a computer could effectively trade that way. That is an example of what I mean by discretionary.

Does the consumer act apply to systems? The senario!

A shop...somewhere. The person who has just lost his holiday money walks in...

System user. "Hello. I bought this system off you six months ago and i've lost 10k."

Assistant. "Well, sir, the markets change. You didn't apply your own method to it did you?"

System user. "Certainly not. Why would i? I haven't got a clue about the markets."

Assistant. "Like i say, sir, the markets do have a tendancy to throw themselves out of sync every now and then."

Sytem user. "It's not good enough, i want my money back."

Assistant. " Sorry, sir. Did you read the small print?"

SOCRATES said:
Listen, you make it very akward, you know.

When I disagree with you you don't like it.

When I start to play the game in harmony with you, and I let you get away with it, you don't like it either.

So what exactly is it you really like eh ? What exactly ?

To some If One self doesnt know all then the idea that some one lese could know more can be impossible to tolerate.

Or He cant bear to be seen to be wrong about anything in his view and certainly not thouse who see him as thier Leader.

Change doesnt need to be a bitter pill.

Now apparently, I hear strong rumours that there are systems that are sophisticated in the extreme.

They are capable of selecting the instrument, selecting direction, choosing the entry point, putting on the trade, logging in the stop, trailing it, choosing the exit point, giving signals all the way, then exiting the trade and automatically cancelling the stop.

There are rumours that these killer systems are so efficient that the exchanges are seriously considering regulating them to extinction.

sp1 said:
To some If One self doesnt know all then the idea that some one lese could know more can be impossible to tolerate.

Or He cant bear to be seen to be wrong about anything in his view and certainly not thouse who see him as thier Leader.

Change doesnt need to be a bitter pill.
U are rite.

SOCRATES said:
Now apparently, I hear strong rumours that there are systems that are sophisticated in the extreme.

They are capable of selecting the instrument, selecting direction, choosing the entry point, putting on the trade, logging in the stop, trailing it, choosing the exit point, giving signals all the way, then exiting the trade and automatically cancelling the stop.

There are rumours that these killer systems are so efficient that the exchanges are seriously considering regulating them to extinction.

Surely there is no need to regulate them to extinction. You just hand them out, free, to everyone and then everyone makes a profit ! Surely ?

Charlton

Charlton said:
Surely there is no need to regulate them to extinction. You just hand them out, free, to everyone and then everyone makes a profit ! Surely ?

Charlton
No, it is a very serious problem, because such a system would threaten the very basis of capitalism, is the argument so far. Because It would allow clever people to bleed the exchanges dry by transferring wealth in such overwhelming circumstances that the economies of whole countries would be threatened. That is the reason. Those are the concerns.

Charlton said:

Charlton

It would solve the pension crisis.

Governments every where could use tax to create a fund that soon make society tax free!! WOW

The worker bees could take more lesuire time...

Peace sells, But whose buying?

MLK
JFK
GHANDI
DIANA
And many more.

SOCRATES said:
transferring wealth in such overwhelming circumstances that the economies of whole countries would be threatened. That is the reason. Those are the concerns.

Is not what you descire the view of reality form some peculiar perspective?

sp1 said:
Is not what you descire the view of reality form some peculiar perspective?
No it does not bother me in the least, but there are mutterings about the threat such systems potentially pose and how they ought to be dealt with, there has been a lot of discussion on it recently, particularly with concerns relating to this branching off of artificial intelligence being misused in such a way and how best it could be dealt with to protect significant interests.

SOCRATES said:
Dear Sheffield,

thank you very much indeed. It is very kind and considerate of you to offer.

But it is best if you operate your system and get all the benefits for yourself.

I am not as fortunate as you to have so many gadgets.

All I know, is how to press buttons and make showers of points every time, and, although it is embarrasing as I feel others ought to have a chance as well, I don't want to change what I have, lest I become contaminated with mainstream ideas, and become like everybody else.

Merit, Ability and Conduct is for the few, only for the very few, who can resist all the temptations that lead to being ordinary.

KInd Regards.

Thanks for the response Soc. However, whenever you feel that you're fed up with making such hard work of all this, send me a PM and I'll give you a few pointers.

Good luck in your efforts to master it,
UTB

the blades said:
Thanks for the response Soc. However, whenever you feel that you're fed up with making such hard work of all this, send me a PM and I'll give you a few pointers.

Good luck in your efforts to master all this,
UTB
Thank you again, you are very kind, but I am totally unlikely to avail myself of your very generous offer. I am certain that there are many other members and indeed visitors deserviing of your unreserved talents, of that I am sure, but I am not among them.

SOCRATES said:
All I know, is how to press buttons and make showers of points every time, and, although it is embarrasing as I feel others ought to have a chance as well, I don't want to change what I have, lest I become contaminated with mainstream ideas, and become like everybody else.
I can make "showers of points" every time I trade too. Some times it is a profitable shower and sometimes a shower that just leaves me wet and with a little less money.

Are you seriously suggesting yours is a profitable "showers of points" every single trade you take?

On a more serious note, I was curious as to whether you use a mechanical or descretionary strategy? Not asking for any details, was just honestly curious.

Cheers,
PKFFW

SOCRATES said:
No it does not bother me in the least, but there are mutterings about the threat such systems potentially pose and how they ought to be dealt with, there has been a lot of discussion on it recently, particularly with concerns relating to this branching off of artificial intelligence being misused in such a way and how best it could be dealt with to protect significant interests.

Oh how revealing the above really is.

I can imagine very clearly why you and yours would feel threatened by these systems.( might upset the apple cart what!) Imagine having your nipples twisted by the new kids on the block :LOL:

Significant interests indeed.. :LOL:

counter_violent said:
Oh how revealing the above really is.

I can imagine very clearly why you and yours would feel threatened by these systems.( might upset the apple cart what!) Imagine having your nipples twisted by the new kids on the block :LOL:

Significant interests indeed.. :LOL:
Not revealing at all. I am referring to governments and nations and not individuals.

The kids on the block as you put it, have no part in this at all.:rolleyes:

They are at the mercy of whatever develops, just like the rest of us, so don't try to be clever, OK ?

PKFFW said:
I can make "showers of points" every time I trade too. Some times it is a profitable shower and sometimes a shower that just leaves me wet and with a little less money.

Are you seriously suggesting yours is a profitable "showers of points" every single trade you take?

On a more serious note, I was curious as to whether you use a mechanical or descretionary strategy? Not asking for any details, was just honestly curious.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Don't worry, you will eventually succeed, but only if you approach all of this in the correct way.

My methods are exclusively discretionary.