Why automation is a must

IFeelFree

109 19
More complex strategies are IMHO as idiotic as it gets. It has significant disadvantages:

* It is harder to code and debug complex strategies that follow likely multiple signals.
* It is harder to backtest them properly.
* It is harder to analyzer their behavior.
* It makes it nearly impossible to decouple signal based risk parameters. Not that most people even have a more than baseline risk management anyway (thanks to things such as software being grossly not suitable for managing many strategies with nontrivial risk allocation)...
So, if something is hard, we shouldn't do it?

One should only take on a coding task that one has the ability to accomplish. You code it, debug it, and backtest it very carefully and thoroughly. Also, for anything more than the most basic algorithmic trading, I would not use commercial software. I code it myself.

One way to get an edge in this market is to exploit any unusual skills that you may have. In my case, I have a graduate level math background and decades of programming experience. So, I'm a natural fit for algorithmic trading. Some of the strategies I'm using are complex, but I feel I understand the math very well and I'm able implement them successfully. "Complex" doesn't necessarily mean more and more of the same signals. It can mean a deeper understanding of the mathematics of time series analysis (autoregression, cointegration, Kalman filters, etc.), as applied to financial data analysis and forecasting. That's my approach.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438
The sudden fall in the £ has probably unstuck some automated strategies imho.
It gave the system I am currently testing a nasty shock initially but it has partially recovered now.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438
I have a few ideas to make a system. OK so I am hopeless at coding but I have found a website that will they say help. Here is it's address

mqlprogrammingservice

For $150 they say they will code up my ideas within 2 - 5 working days. It went in today so I am now sitting back with fingers crossed etc. I will let you know what happens. I don't even know if it will make a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

NetTecture

403 12
I have a few ideas to make a system. OK so I am hopeless at coding but I have found a website that will they say help. Here is it's address

mqlprogrammingservice

For $150 they say they will code up my ideas within 2 - 5 working days. It went in today so I am now sitting back with fingers crossed etc. I will let you know what happens. I don't even know if it will make a profit.
THat so much sounds like spam it is not even funny. All the best - you really got top of the line people working for you. I mean, why would anyone not work for 500 pound plus a day as freelancer when he can develop a full strategy for someone else for a pittance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438
THat so much sounds like spam it is not even funny. All the best - you really got top of the line people working for you. I mean, why would anyone not work for 500 pound plus a day as freelancer when he can develop a full strategy for someone else for a pittance?
If and I know it's a big if it is profitable I will have the last laugh at your post.
Anyone else with a big idea, I can only suggest you give it a try. Even if it fails.

NVP

Legendary member
36,906 1,905

One should only take on a coding task that one has the ability to accomplish. You code it, debug it, and backtest it very carefully and thoroughly. Also, for anything more than the most basic algorithmic trading, I would not use commercial software. I code it myself.

One way to get an edge in this market is to exploit any unusual skills that you may have. In my case, I have a graduate level math background and decades of programming experience. So, I'm a natural fit for algorithmic trading. Some of the strategies I'm using are complex, but I feel I understand the math very well and I'm able implement them successfully. "Complex" doesn't necessarily mean more and more of the same signals. It can mean a deeper understanding of the mathematics of time series analysis (autoregression, cointegration, Kalman filters, etc.), as applied to financial data analysis and forecasting. That's my approach.

I used to be able to balance a spoon on my nose ..........damn hard to program that into a forex system though :LOL:

(sorry couldn't resist :p)

N

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438

You may be willing to sell one of your more profitable systems ?

f2calv

Experienced member
1,317 277
Dude, you dumped a similar sized load of cash on some gold EA some months ago and it was pretty worthless [it didn't make any trades after a week or two if I recall], and now you're looking at spending more money on another get rich quick trading scheme?

Here's an idea why not keep hold of your cash, stop relying on others through their coding skills or their EAs and just trade your discretionary strategy and just stop looking for the "holy grail" and wasting your hard earned dough?

Sorry but this sort of stuff is just painful to read. :|

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438
Dude, you dumped a similar sized load of cash on some gold EA some months ago and it was pretty worthless [it didn't make any trades after a week or two if I recall], and now you're looking at spending more money on another get rich quick trading scheme?

Here's an idea why not keep hold of your cash, stop relying on others through their coding skills or their EAs and just trade your discretionary strategy and just stop looking for the "holy grail" and wasting your hard earned dough?

Sorry but this sort of stuff is just painful to read. :|
Sorry to inflict such pain on you. Believe me I feel it too ! But after years of trading not very successfully I have virtually conceded that I need the help of this new automation craze and have put some money aside for it, knowing that I may not succeed, but giving it a go. Somewhere someone will crack the problem. Hopefully I will be around to clean up.

IFeelFree

109 19
You may be willing to sell one of your more profitable systems ?
It's not a user-friendly system at present. It assumes you already have a cointegrated portfolio you want to trade. (If you don't know what that means, it wouldn't be useful to you.) Various parameters have to be updated weekly, which means running optimization routines for a couple of hours on the weekend. It's coded in Mathematica, which I'm guessing most people here are not familiar with. I may eventually put it into a more usable form for interested retail traders, but it's not there now.

NVP

Legendary member
36,906 1,905
Sorry to inflict such pain on you. Believe me I feel it too ! But after years of trading not very successfully I have virtually conceded that I need the help of this new automation craze and have put some money aside for it, knowing that I may not succeed, but giving it a go. Somewhere someone will crack the problem. Hopefully I will be around to clean up.
hey Pat ..............as someone else said I would persevere with your own trading path and not go to the EA route .......I have worked with a few quants who also programme for the big banks and they all confess it takes deep pockets (mucho millions) to make EA's work in the real world ...........still not really seen any of them crack it in the retail market personally ........and believe me these guys are the real deal compared to many amateurs out there posting EA's on T2win ;)

N

Pat494

Legendary member
13,987 1,438
Well the good news is they have sent back the coded up system plus some of their own ideas as optional. This is for checking for bugs. However except for one small point it seems bug free.
I am happy.
I had the big idea and they have added the nuts & bolts. Brilliant. I couldn't have coded it.

:clap: