Best automated trading system for futures

shanemr

I have experience developing fully automated strategies for forex. There are plenty of great tools for doing this.

What would you guys recommend for building and backtesting futures automated trading strategies?

I've found "Strategy Automation Station" by Strategy Runner but it seems quite primitive and there doesn't seem to be a big community using it. Which to me means it probably isn't any good.

Any suggestions for other products I could use?

Regards,

Shane

NinjaTrader heartily recommended, you can practice using a demo account with Mirus with a free live Zen feed. Works great for me.

I have experience developing fully automated strategies for forex. There are plenty of great tools for doing this.

What would you guys recommend for building and backtesting futures automated trading strategies?

I've found "Strategy Automation Station" by Strategy Runner but it seems quite primitive and there doesn't seem to be a big community using it. Which to me means it probably isn't any good.

Any suggestions for other products I could use?

Regards,

Shane

Shane,

How many of the worlds best traders use automated sytems. Unless somebobys shows me im betting none. The banks have them as they know where the orders are as the brokers trade through them thereby giving them the advantage. Screw the automated route and look at a few good systems on here which work if you have the discipline and good R/R and good Money Management. If you cant be arsed looking on here PM me and i'll send you a few PDF's and a few links from here and FF that you can make money from.

Ged

shane - tradestation is v.good (if u can get to grips with the programming language)

gedward mate, they are everywhere. its estimated that 50% of all trades placed anywhere are now automated. take a look at some of the huge quant based hedge funds...they will all be pretty much automated

Shane,

How many of the worlds best traders use automated sytems. Unless somebobys shows me im betting none.

Ged

Ha ha, that's a very narrow minded way of drawing conclusions. Here's an exercise. Write down the reasons why someone would show you a good trader using an automated system that makes money. Then write down the reasons why they wouldn't.

In answer to the OP, I use Ninja Trader for futures - also Mirus and Zen Fire. There's a lot I'd want to improve about it, but I'm still really happy with it for automated strategies.

shane - tradestation is v.good (if u can get to grips with the programming language)

gedward mate, they are everywhere. its estimated that 50% of all trades placed anywhere are now automated. take a look at some of the huge quant based hedge funds...they will all be pretty much automated

Hi JM.

I can understand the automated strategies for spreads and calenders and stuff like
that looking for mis-pricing between markets or similar commodities. But i still would
like to see how all these people peddle automated EA's as a viable and profitable automated syatem. I understand how and why the banks would do it and agree that they have quants who can figure their sytems to find mis-pricing and take advantage immediately across all markets. JUst dont think these guys who write EA's cant do it and sell them.

Ged

Ged

If I may be so bold, that's not quite what you said in a previous post on this thread.

quote: "How many of the worlds best traders use automated sytems. Unless somebobys shows me im betting none."

Are you now of the opinion that some of the world's best traders DO use automated systems BUT that EA systems available commercially are not likely to be profitable?

Regards

Bluewater18

Ged

If I may be so bold, that's not quite what you said in a previous post on this thread.

quote: "How many of the worlds best traders use automated sytems. Unless somebobys shows me im betting none."

Are you now of the opinion that some of the world's best traders DO use automated systems BUT that EA systems available commercially are not likely to be profitable?

Regards

Bluewater18

Banks YES. EA System sellers NO. Unless somebody proves me otherwise....:)

Banks YES. EA System sellers NO. Unless somebody proves me otherwise....:)

That's still not what you said earlier. There are a whole load of system developers who don't work for banks and aren't selling their systems.

That's still not what you said earlier. There are a whole load of system developers who don't work for banks and aren't selling their systems.

Xeno i expanded on my answer so now you have yours.

Ged

Xeno i expanded on my answer so now you have yours.

Ged

Err, I don't see where you explained it at all. You still appear to to think that the only people using profitable automation work for banks. It's just not true. And no, no one's going to prove that to you, for reasons which should be obvious.

Err, I don't see where you explained it at all. You still appear to to think that the only people using profitable automation work for banks. It's just not true. And no, no one's going to prove that to you, for reasons which should be obvious.

Well then i'll never believe and maybe you may know something that
i dont. Yippeeeee....

"Harnessing the power of large numbers of participating traders to accurately predict the S&P 500 and DOW through an advanced algorithm."

I really don't see how that's going to work. If large numbers of participating traders are taking part, half of them are going to miss the entry points when they start piling in.

The performance is also not much better than a random snapshot . It's length of time, not size of equity that I find interesting. That's only got a month's data. I'd be interested in 10 years worth, to see what the drawdowns are like.

Adamus,

This system does not work that way. The difference is that the input of the 50% (or 75% or whatever) unsuccessful traders do not weigh in the system-position. Only the successful and consistent traders do weigh.

Xeno, you are right. However openfutur.es is a new concept. First you need a good idea, second a good system, third a good website, fourth good traders. It is the chicken or the egg dilemma.

E.

Metatrader has a good Strategy Tester which can cover back to 90's (if I remember correctly), however the strategy would have to be written in the Metascripting language.