Why are France and Germany out of recession?

....I agree Martin....not only bigger question....but a correct question needs to be addressed....

....If we keep our young workforce out of job for few more years then there will be anarchy and huge social issues....

....I agree Martin....not only bigger question....but a correct question needs to be addressed....

....If we keep our young workforce out of job for few more years then there will be anarchy and huge social issues....
For sure, there's a whole variety of issues... I honestly hope (perhaps in error) that the political/economic systems are inherently stable and self-correcting, so things will sorta work themselves out. Maybe I am just being stupidly optimistic...

Here is what MacMillan said about his concerns as to what was happening under Thatcher....

Miners Strike....
It breaks my heart to see—and I cannot interfere—what is happening in our country today. This terrible strike, by the best men in the world, who beat the Kaiser's and Hitler's armies and never gave in. It is pointless and we cannot afford that kind of thing. Then there is the growing division of Conservative prosperity in the south and the ailing north and Midlands. We used to have battles and rows but they were quarrels. Now there is a new kind of wicked hatred that has been brought in by different types of people

Stockton is widely supposed to have likened Thatcher's policy of privatisation to 'selling the family silver'. What he did say (at a dinner of the Tory Reform Group at the Royal Overseas League on 8 November 1985) was that the sale of assets was commonplace among individuals or states when they encountered financial difficulties: 'First of all the Georgian silver goes. And then all that nice furniture that used to be in the salon. Then the Canalettos go.' Profitable parts of the steel industry and the railways had been privatised, along with British Telecom: 'They were like two Rembrandts still left

Sixty-three years ago ... the unemployment figure (in Stockton-on-Tees) was then 29%. Last November ... the unemployment (there) is 28%. A rather sad end to one's life.

The government bailouts have been employed to stimulate growth figures so once the bailout money wears off, we will see whether there is any sustainability. China for example, measure GDP
differently than the U.S. and in terms of retail, they book the amount of goods shipped to retailers as 'a sell', whether or not it sells at all. This masks the overall fact that their consumer base is declining and the 8% is irrelevant.

Britain certainly needs to look ahead in terms of economy, rather than back. Our economy was
rescued from a very grim outlook by North Sea Oil, but we have blown this money and need to
get a move on with filling the gap. Financial services alone can't rescue a nation from obscurity.

The money is in the east now and this is where all the dealmaking will be done in the future. The top financial talent will follow this money.

People can't seem to put 2 and 2 together and think that a small uptick in GDP will bring back the next boom in wages and house prices. As Jim Rogers said, 'we have nothing to sell'.

Shipyards
Textiles
Railways
Massey Fergusson
Leyland
Rowntree Macintosh
Harrier Jumpjet
Radio Therapy
Steel
Coal
Wedgewood Ben
Raleigh
Jaguar
Mini
Rover
Bentley & Rolls Royce
Westland
Not to mention our farmers who were/are the most efficient in Europe virtually destroyed by EEC subsidies.

Countless others... Where are these world beating industries???

Why did they go under?

Who bought them and why?

What do the Germans - French - Italians do that we don't / can't?

How did the Swiss save the watch making industry?

Answers aren't a mystery? Reasons no secret.

Big management political sukup. Been going on for the last 100 years.

The two world wars against Germany was for resources and colonies. We lost em both along with Germany. US was the only winner.