Who do you hope does/doesn't lose?

awe

Hi all,

This forum is vast and I did attempt to find a thread similar to this one I'm writing now to avoid duplication but was unable to, so apologies if there already is one, moderators feel free to bin this one if so.

Others must have mused over this before, it's not terribly profound, but without further ado;

Trading is a zero sum game. We can't all win, all of the time. You're taking money from, or giving it to someone else, and broadly speaking the amount of money sloshing around is fairly constant. I appreciate that's a simplistic view but it doesn't matter for the sake of the question.

Who do you hope is on the losing end of your trades?

It often makes me smile wryly when I read people wishing others 'good luck' when (unless they're just spectators) the good luck the're wishing on someone could be bad luck they're wishing on themselves. It's a bit of a paradox really, a friendly comminity wishing each other well whilst trying to empty each others pockets on our trading platforms.

With the above in mind, I wish you all bad luck, but am still keen to hear your views :D

Last edited:
It would be best not to focus on 'hoping' for anything. Focus instead on being right and having the courage of your convictions. The lazy and indolent people will always be on the losing end of your trade.

once you're in the market, the money is an anonymous aggregate of everyone.
no advantage in hoping its anyone in particulars.
best not to, as its another way of attaching emotional value to what should be a detached maths/indicator event.

I'll reduce the above into "I don't care as long as it's not me." - pointless question really but thanks to those that replied.

My ex wife?

But women don't gamble, as much. Women play a different game. If you really want to get to them, you have to blow hot and cold. It drives them crazy. This was a trick suggested to me by a woman. The trading analogy to this trick is when the market moving side ways. You don't know what it's going to do and it drives you nuts.

But women don't gamble, as much. Women play a different game. If you really want to get to them, you have to blow hot and cold. It drives them crazy. This was a trick suggested to me by a woman. The trading analogy to this trick is when the market moving side ways. You don't know what it's going to do and it drives you nuts.

lol.
One of your better posts, Joe.
(y)(y)

Peter

The mind boggles, BJ (yes we know what that stands for...) goes to bed with a woman clutching a mug of hot chocolate and a bag of ice cubes :sleep: = BJ's dream.....

Last edited:
Hi all,

This forum is vast and I did attempt to find a thread similar to this one I'm writing now to avoid duplication but was unable to, so apologies if there already is one, moderators feel free to bin this one if so.

Others must have mused over this before, it's not terribly profound, but without further ado;

Trading is a zero sum game. We can't all win, all of the time. You're taking money from, or giving it to someone else, and broadly speaking the amount of money sloshing around is fairly constant. I appreciate that's a simplistic view but it doesn't matter for the sake of the question.

It often makes me smile wryly when I read people wishing others 'good luck' when (unless they're just spectators) the good luck the're wishing on someone could be bad luck they're wishing on themselves. It's a bit of a paradox really, a friendly comminity wishing each other well whilst trying to empty each others pockets on our trading platforms.

With the above in mind, I wish you all bad luck, but am still keen to hear your views :D

jees are you in for a shock.....;)

N

Hi all,

biggest mistake ever is to watch other peoples trades ........focus on your own shop and dont worry about whos losing..it comes with the territory and some of those losers are giving you peanuts compared to when they win ;)

N

Who is doing the trading in the most liquid financial instruments ? Answer - institutions, so every trade you take, has an institution on the other side of the trade. As we all know very well, most retail traders lose. But in reality, trading is not a zero sum game, it is possible for one trader to go long, and another trader to go short, at the same entry price, and if they manage their trades correctly, both traders can exit with a profit.

Who is doing the trading in the most liquid financial instruments ? Answer - institutions, so every trade you take, has an institution on the other side of the trade. As we all know very well, most retail traders lose. But in reality, trading is not a zero sum game, it is possible for one trader to go long, and another trader to go short, at the same entry price, and if they manage their trades correctly, both traders can exit with a profit.

:LOL::LOL:

It's still a zero sum game (y)