Which spread betting firm do you use and why

motorbikez

Hi guys and girls,

Having looked at a review on cmc markets I have decided not to open an account with them, as per title which firm would you recommend and why.I'm primarily interested in betting on indexes specifically the DAX,DOW, and FTSE.
Thanks for any help.

MB,

Unless you have very limited funds (less than £5000), you will be better to go with Direct Market Access via a broker rather than the SB cowboys. Everything for you is against you with SB's. If there are insufficient funds, wait until you have enough to trade via DMA.

Grant.

Hi Motorbikez

What Grant says is true. To elaborate a little, when you take a position, the spread betting firm takes an opposite position to you - effectively, they want you to lose as they will gain the spread plus your loss. Over time they build up a profile of people, regular winners and regular losers (guess which profile has the most people in it). For the regular losers, they simply take the opposite side to the trade as I said before, but they hedge against the regular winners to prevent large losses on their part.

That all said, I've used Finspreads, CMC and IG. I'd go with IG but, ultimately, they are all pretty much the same. They will all stop you out if they can and not let you open and close trades at a particular price when the market moves quickly/becomes more volatile. Taking more long term views and not trading intraday will get around these caveats. It also allows the spreads of their markets to become less significant (if you use the rolling contracts anyway). Expect to lose a lot of trades as you learn and don't get put off by this.

Most fail to make money in spreadbetting because: a) they either lose too much money through over leveraging their trades and bad risk management or b) they become despondent because the game is so damn hard to make money in.

I hope this helps and good luck.

JD

Last edited:
MP -- im really sorry, but i just cant agree !

please understand the market is much more than the trade RIGHT NOW.

if you will please study your charts, you will see that price moves in ONE DIRECTION in the morning, and ALTERS direction in the second part of the day, even if your market is closed.

a spread better makes their money mostly by knowing WHEN the market will reverse direction and then being in on that move, while the retail client starts selling when stops are hit or just out of fear --- assuming the original direction was up, the sb is now shorting against everyone, and the fear of the market is selling them shares cheaper and cheaper.

once the brokers, sb's and mms have covered their shorts (they all see the same charts after all), they REVERSE the price back up, now with their shelves LOADED with cheap shares that they then sell into the rally they create at the moment.

while the concept of how they trade against you is spoken of always, LET US EXAMINE IT !

if you buy (go long) a position, you bet that the price will move UP enough to clear the spread and make profit for you, which is what should happen ! Can you think of ONE reason why they would take an opposite trade against yours IF THE PRICE IS ACTUALLY GOING UP ????? What you are "buying" from them is an "imaginary" bunch of shares they take out of their "pool" of shares (or whoever THEY go to for shares !)

it would be dumb, and any experienced trader can see where support and resistance lay, as does the sb, broker or mm !

therefore, the broker MUST wait till the price reverses (and while they can "fiddle" with the price a bit, the BANKS are really in charge and your sb MUST, by law, move with those prices !!!

SO THEY WAIT TILL THE PRICE REVERSES and then what i posted at the top happens --- THIS is how they make their money, not by matching your every single trade.

OTHER things said about sb's are true, be it "slippage" between the price you wish to sell at and the price they allow you to sell at, "delayed" entries and exits and a bunch of other "little" tricks to place the playing field in their favor.

BUT the one absolute about the market is how its manipulated to enable profits --- with that done, there is ABSOLUTELY no need to match your trades !

below is a post i made on the subject a while back -- may explain better

there are a few purposes behind these reversals, but mostly by stopping and reversing price the mm's get MORE shares at a lesser price to continue a bullish runup AND/OR they make money against your long by now shorting, where most people will now sell and they buy more shares at a lower price to short on the way down as people bail their long positions. Of course, reverse this for a market thats moving down !

Now at the bottom, because of averaging down, they own MANY shares at a lower price and now they run the price back up, taking profit on the long side with their cheaper shares !

Lets say they run a currency up to 1.9000, at which point they reverse down to 1.8000 ---- almost everyone except long term holders will bail their positions (its SO human nature) to take profit, as they sell at a steadily decreasing price OR THEIR STOP LOSSES ARE HIT !

DO YOU SEE SOMETHING IN THAT LAST STATEMENT ???

Now the price is down to 1.8000, the mm's now cover by buying all these shares but at a 1000 pip advantage to where the currency was 15 mins ago, and UP THEY GO AGAIN, with lots more shares to sell the retail trade, but they got em CHEAP !!

Its often called a "headfake" because they fake you into thinking the price will now go down forever, scaring you into selling or forcing your stop losses --- Its HOW the rookies loose money and the mm's do it with glee !

PRO traders are the BEST daytraders in the business and are well rewarded for being so --- their job is to MAKE money for the company they work for and not care much about how they do it !

Trading, at least to this person, is KNOWING what theyre doing more than simply knowing when to enter and when to exit ! Theres a lot of pros out there, and they dont give a rats rump about any of us --- rather they really dont like us at all, but will quickly grab our money !

of course, when trading with no sl, one better know the trend and NOT trade against it !

mp

Hi guys and girls,

Having looked at a review on cmc markets I have decided not to open an account with them, as per title which firm would you recommend and why.I'm primarily interested in betting on indexes specifically the DAX,DOW, and FTSE.
Thanks for any help.

CMC markets were great for charts, but the actual trading interface drove me crazy. Want to close a guaranteed position? You have to dig out to close order, rather than just trading the other way. Want to attach a limit/stop to a position? Well you can't. Want a nice easy button to press to close out a position? Nope, nothing there either.

Twowayspreads are nice for really small spreads, I haven't had a problem with them tweaking prices against me at all, and they'll refund up to £250 of losses in the first 8 weeks. Finspreads do trading from 1p/point for the first 8 weeks (or did last time I checked), and an 8-week intro course, but their platform can be frustratingly slow at peak times. IG Index do trading from 10p/point for 2 weeks, and slowly ramp up over the next 6 weeks after that, as well as an 8-week intro course.

Personally, I have an IG Index account as my primary account, and a Twowayspreads account for backup.

Spread Betting is Fine!

Spread Bet firms get a really bad press but almost exclusively from people who have lost money with them or from parrots that just repeat the urban myths that they stop you out and want you to lose. They make some money on the spread every time you trade but if everyone lost all their money because they were ripped off, their total profits would soon go down.

The fact is that most people who spreadbet are really bad traders, doomed to go broke anyway. I've made thousands a month from them and never had any problems apart from slow manual closes from CMC.

When my trading style moved to not relying on stops so much, I switched to IG and have always got the price I've clicked and stops (non guaranteed) have always been honoured even when they've closed them after the market's moved 10 pips or more.

As for rnichol saying you can't add stops and limits at CMC after opening the trade, that's simply untrue - it's very easy. I've added and/or ammended mine hundreds, maybe even thousands of times. Rather typical of poor workmen blaming the tool, which is often spread betting!

IG are good enough for any newcomer to learn the ropes and to make a profit if they trade well. Any beginner shouldn't worry too much about the best broker, platform or anything else - just graft away and make some money. If and when you're making decent money perhaps then is the time to discover for yourself (rather than believing everything you read) if your spread bet choice is costing you money or saving you money.

The fact is that they save me 40% income tax on profits and I suspect many of those who bad-mouth SB firms don't make enough profit for this to be a consideration.

I think also that things have improved in the last few years...

Spread Bet firms get a really bad press but almost exclusively from people who have lost money with them or from parrots that just repeat the urban myths that they stop you out and want you to lose. They make some money on the spread every time you trade but if everyone lost all their money because they were ripped off, their total profits would soon go down.

I think also some people see re-quotes and develop these conspiracy theories about why they happen. Sorry people, if you don't like the re-quote, don't take it. Don't want re-quotes? Well, okay, it'll have to be DMA then, I suppose, but I've never had a serious issue with them.

As for rnichol saying you can't add stops and limits at CMC after opening the trade, that's simply untrue - it's very easy. I've added and/or ammended mine hundreds, maybe even thousands of times. Rather typical of poor workmen blaming the tool, which is often spread betting!

Erk, sorry, I meant you can't directly attach stop/loss to a position, so they need to be cancelled separately to the trade (although OCO makes that relatively simple at least). I mean... CMC's platform is certainly not _bad_, but I find IG Index suits me better, y'know?

IG are good enough for any newcomer to learn the ropes and to make a profit if they trade well. Any beginner shouldn't worry too much about the best broker, platform or anything else - just graft away and make some money. If and when you're making decent money perhaps then is the time to discover for yourself (rather than believing everything you read) if your spread bet choice is costing you money or saving you money.

Also, don't be afraid to open half a dozen accounts and try them all, IMHO. I've gone through 4 so far, I'll probably open more later to try.

I have 12 accounts and have taken the free offers its much easier to trade with other peoples money ;)
Drop me your name and email at [email protected] if you want to be refered for a £70 account and a £100 account with Cantor and Capital spreads

cheers Duncan

I have a limited-risk account with IG (decided by them, from the way I answered the questions on joining, I guess). This was fair enough, as I was a novice at the time. I think I am now ready to convert this to a non-limited risk (where I can choose whether to make my stops guaranteed or not....there is quite a spread premium in them). Should this be straightforward to arrange?

I notice that Finspreads don't seem to insist on guaranteed stops for beginners.

Regards,
M.

I think I am now ready to convert this to a non-limited risk (where I can choose whether to make my stops guaranteed or not....there is quite a spread premium in them). Should this be straightforward to arrange?
QUOTE]

You need to ring them and they will ask you a few questions. Assuming your answers are the obvious ones, they will upgrade your account within a few minutes.

You still have the option to tick the 'guaranteed stop' box, but I don't believe they are necessary (OK, if the first time you take a normal stop, somebody nukes the White House, don't blame me). Actually, if you were short the dollar, you'd be fine...