Which software should I go for?

clylbw

I know the question has been asked before, but I am still unsure which software I should go for, even after reading quite a few posts here.

Basically speaking, I would like EOD data on stocks for the time being, although I am likely to get into real-time ones later. However, I need EOD data on UK, USA, west and middle Europe and Asia. Under such circumstances, which software should I go for? Or should I look into brokers for such services?

Sorry if the question is really silly. Thanks indeed.

Hi clylbw

Not silly at all - the range of software out there, makes the whole area a mind field :(

Personally I would be looking to go for www.SierraChart.com as the charting package and www.Mytrack.com as the datafeed. The advantage of doing that is that you can "bolt-on" or take-off any of the subscriptions you wanted. Here is a rough breakdown of what you would need to pay per month.

<table border="1"><tr><td>SierraChart</td><td>$30 for 6 months</td></tr><tr><td>Mytrack Real-time Feed (Silver)</td><td>$20</td></tr><tr><td>Fee to Mytrack for use of Sierrachart</td><td>$25</td></tr><tr><td>US EOD and Real-time Stocks</td><td>Free</td></tr><tr><td>UK Shares</td><td>About £6</td></tr><tr><td>Rest of Europe and Asia</td><td>Not sure</td></tr><tr><td>Total</td><td>£40+ a month</td></tr></table>

This I believe is the best combination for you, especially as your looking to trade many different markets.

HTH :)

I think the delayed feed would probably be fine and that's only $5 or so a month but I think they actually throw that in free with the Sierra sub so it's even better value.

I'm pretty sure that Mytrack don't do asia.

If anyone has any ideas re Sierra & Asia, I'd be interested to know.

o

MyTrack feed has just increased in price by 17.5%

Thanks to the European Union imposing VAT

The sooner we ditch Europe the better.

JonnyT

Thank you so much for all your advice.

Currently I have a promotion package from ShareScope. It features the following:

Membership: £79.95
EOD Monthly: £11.95
Real Time Monthly: £84.95
No minimum contract.

What really catches my eyes is that this programme has been awarded several rewards from e.g. Investors Chronicles and Share Magazine. It also seems very popular among people I know.

So what do you think about ShareScope compared with Sierra?

BTW, do I still need datafeed with ShareScope? (Sorry for such ignorance.)

Thanks a lot really.

I use Sharescope for UK stocks and AMIBroker for US (There are apparently dodgy cracks for this on the Internet)

ShareScope has its own data, AMIBroker uses free sources such as Yahoo or MSN for download. AMIBroker can also be linked up to eSignal or MyTrack live feeds

JonnyT

I have both Sierra and Sharescope. Like both a lot. If it's only EOD UK you need then look no further than that.

eSignal MarketCenter

There is now a new low cost choice for US and European data ... MarketCenter!

Real Time Streaming Quote Window: ~ £3
Real Time Streaming Charts: ~ £6

Plus exchanges fees.

Find out more here: http://www.marketcenter.com

Chuck

For EOD Sharescope is best value for the UK. IMHO, best for the US is TC2000 @ $29.95 per month including data. Lots of screening tools included.

For r/t Sierra charts is best value as recommended by others above.

This has been answered for me on Helen's site.

Last edited:
The problem is that IB do not always send the FTSE data correctly so you have to have intelligent options in your code. It's not difficult to do ;)

However most products are aimed at the US Market hence the problem.

JonnyT

This query was answered by the following and on the other board.

Last edited:
Hi Jonnyy40,

When I said intelligent it was a bit of a p!ss take.

Simply when you get FTSE prices sent to your APP if the price is less than 100 then multiply it by 100. The bug is they often divide FTSE prices by 100.

Is that intelligent enough for thee simple ladee? ;)

JonnyT

Thanks,I just saw yours and Greying S's reply in the other place! I just wouldn't know where to start to change the code though!

If it's Java look in the functions orderStatus() and tickPrice()

The definitions are:

public void orderStatus( int orderId, String status, int filled, int remaining,
double avgFillPrice, int permId, int parentId, double lastFillPrice)

When an order event is registered i.e. been filled, cancelled, placed etc the API calls orderStatus. From the parameters you can obtain your fill price which in the case of FTSE might be 41.10 instead of 4110.

public void tickPrice( int tickerId, int field, double price)

Every time TWS is updated with a tickPrice the API calls your tickPrice routine and passes you the price...

HTH

JonnyT

Has anybody else experienced this problem with Lycos?
I subscribed to their "live chart" package which was O.K. I then
decided to upgrade to their "live charts plus" for an extra $10
a month, not only can I not log into the plus package but I can't
find any contact information on their website, very frustrating
because their lesser package works perfectly.

Have you checked that your "cookies" are enabled ? It may not be that but many sites now require this to use their services.

Cheers

Paul