Which Country would you live in ?

Thailand.
Your constraint of only a few hours is a little wrongheaded. Why?

2 hours to get ready
2 hours to get to the airport
2 hours to wait for your flight
x hours flight
2 hours to get to your warm home abroad

total = 8 hours plus flight time.

European destination = 3 hour flight
Asia = 13 (depending on jetstream)

i.e. 11 hours minimum for Europe - half a day.
21 hours Asia. Almost a whole day.

You sleep don't you?

Geddit?

Thailand - cheap. Warm. Great food. nice people. beaches. golf. nightlife.....! internet everywere (broadband in Bangkok). CableTV - watch Manu get beaten all the time! BBC, etc. mobile phones work everywhere. All your fave food (except Marmite for some reason?) - Guiness, too. Cheap. I alrady said cheap didn't I?

etc.

A great house for 100K sterling.
Cheap.

etc.

jpwillis said:
2 hours to get ready
2 hours to get to the airport
2 hours to wait for your flight
x hours flight
2 hours to get to your warm home abroad
total = 8 hours plus flight time.
Very true; very good point. Flying is gradually becoming more unpleasant and much more time-consuming. Even the flying-times are getting longer. The never-ending waiting for a take-off slot and a landing-slot and the ever-increasing airport delays all make sure of that. Even the journey-times officially scheduled by airlines have gradually been getting longer over the last 10 years or so (partly so that at the end of the year they can say that 90+% of their flights arrived on time). All of these factors mean that in effect the differences between "short flights" (because there's no such thing) and "long flights" are getting smaller and smaller. Or, to put it another way, the real difference between getting to places like Malta and Cyprus and places like Fiji or Thailand is actually getting smaller and smaller.

Im thinking about moving to one of the Cnary Islands, which one has the best facilities?

Hi there,

I suggest Poland which is very interesting country. There is no earthquake, floods and the climate is quite warm (sometimes very hot - over the 30 degress). If you had any question - just say.

Sorry for ma English :) I know my language isn't excellent.

I dont know what age you are but I second what previous poster said about Thailand. What a place. Bangkok is a very good base, and then you are only an hours flight by budget airline to lovely islands at the weekend.

The people are great, the girls are beautiful and courteous, better than anything you ll get in the west IMHO of course.
The food is great and very cheap. I can eat great thai food and nice beer at night for about4/5 sterling, thats 4 or 5 beers and some nice food.
great Italian restaurants, mexican,French, Ethiopian, Syrian, all the fast food you can think off everything.
Great condo for good value. The place I lived in had an underground supermarket,4 swimming pools, fitness center and beutifully furnised apartments with fantastic skyline view. You also get Tesco and Careefour there which are very cheap.
Great night life. Modern shopping malls every where, great bars, great beers, great women, its the bees knees I never want to live anywhere else. And by the way, you meet lots of very very interesting people. The Uk IMHO is boring as hell. I cringe at having to comeback, apart from seeing my beloved family and friends.

I went to Krakow in Poland last summer for a holiday.

Fabulous place and hot, but would I live there ?

No, the winters are super brass monkey affairs and far too cold for me.

If i had to chose where to live within a few hours of the UK inside the EU, I'd go for Sweden, Austria or France.

"Come into Romania then !"

LOL...I really enjoyed this one. I'm sure the irony of the 'invitation' was not intentional which made it even funnier

Cape Town is great, beautiful weather, cheap houses (relatively speaking) and nice beaches

Jamus,
My brother said the same ,but isn't crime a problem ? ...or won't the kidnappers let you answer that one ;)
No,seriously I have read on numerous occasions that the crime rate is a real problem...

I have also wondered if Rhodesia as it once was can be turned into Zimbabwe as it is then just what is supposed to stop that happening to SA ?