Where'd they all go?

wasp

Legendary member
Over five years and 55'000 members...

How many have -

Made millions and gone on with better lives?
Lost far too much and become one of the 95%?
Still lurk in the background?
Had enough of T2W yet still actively trade?

I know a few members who no longer post yet still trade, but it would be interesting to put figures on the above...

wasp said:
Over five years and 55'000 members...

How many have -

Made millions and gone on with better lives?
Lost far too much and become one of the 95%?
Still lurk in the background?
Had enough of T2W yet still actively trade?

I know a few members who no longer post yet still trade, but it would be interesting to put figures on the above...

just looked at the lists 98% have never posted
we have the same people posting all the time
what do you think ?
250? 300?

If you look at the list and sort by number of posts, even half of the first page are no longer posting.

wasp said:
If you look at the list and sort by number of posts, even half of the first page are no longer posting.

I havnt tried that before I found it amusing that with all of his 1760 posts I hadn't come across Hooya :eek:

the ones without an entry in the last visit column must be the ones wearing invisibility cloaks
"you aint seen me, right " :cool:

:LOL:

Don

hornblower said:
just looked at the lists 98% have never posted
we have the same people posting all the time
what do you think ?
250? 300?
On the other hand there are 132 pages x 30 per page = 3,960 members who have visited since 20tj July i.e. in the last month.

So clearly there is a reasonable amount of interest in it as a reference site.

Perhaps many of those who have not posted have given their "posting quota" to other members :LOL:

Charlton

Charlton said:
On the other hand there are 132 pages x 30 per page = 3,960 members who have visited since 20tj July i.e. in the last month.

Perhaps many of those who have not posted have given their "posting quota" to other members :LOL:

Charlton

Another thing. That infestation of Yahoo Slurp Spiders are keeping very quiet. Their up to something :!:

C V

Charlton said:

Charlton

which leaves 52,453 that didn't bother :cheesy:

I see also that you are in the cloak club Charlton:cool: ?why do people do this?

chartman makes a very worthy contribution to this site wow, you must have RSI mate!

cheers

Don

don_h said:
which leaves 52,453 that didn't bother :cheesy:

I see also that you are in the cloak club Charlton:cool: ?why do people do this?
To pretend that I'm not a sad trading nerd watching this site all day and that I have got a life outside ! :eek:

There - I've taken it off. Is that better ?

:eek:

Charlton

I see also that you are in the cloak club Charlton ?why do people do this?

One of the reasons is to avoid being harrassed. I used to post a lot in 2003 and 2004 and especially live trades and this resulted in me getting a large number of PM. When I didnt answer the questions in the timescale considered appropriate by those who had sent the message, I would then get a number of abusive PM saying that they had seen I was surfing the forums but hadnt bothered to reply to their PM.

So I became invisible with the thought that if they cannot see me then they cannot make the accusation and it worked.

Paul

Picking the first 10 as an example...

1 owns the site! (sharky)
3 still actively post (Trader333, Socrates and Racer)

Anyone have an idea about the other 6?!

Chartman
Bonsai
Fetteredchino
TheBramble
Oatman
JonnyT

If your out there lurking... are you still traders?

Trader333 said:
One of the reasons is to avoid being harrassed. I used to post a lot in 2003 and 2004 and especially live trades and this resulted in me getting a large number of PM. When I didnt answer the questions in the timescale considered appropriate by those who had sent the message, I would then get a number of abusive PM saying that they had seen I was surfing the forums but hadnt bothered to reply to their PM.

So I became invisible with the thought that if they cannot see me then they cannot make the accusation and it worked.

Paul

I just thought that you were the quiet type :)

Split

I went into property development and swiftly went into semi retirement. I'm thinking about going back into trading, but not anytime soon. :)

Great to hear from you Mr C, we wait patiently in anticipation!!!
Any chance you'll be bringing Skimbleshanks along too...just like the good old days?

Have always been curious what happened to Bonsai.

He left the party just after I arrived :eek: .

Seemed a nice enough chap and I don't think he left because of any ill feeling towards anyone.

dd

dick_dastardly said:
Have always been curious what happened to Bonsai.

He left the party just after I arrived :eek: .

Seemed a nice enough chap and I don't think he left because of any ill feeling towards anyone.

dd
I am sad to say Bonsai has emigrated to Australia and is not trading any more.
He was my mentor and I learn't a lot from him.

Fluke said:
I am sad to say Bonsai has emigrated to Australia and is not trading any more.
He was my mentor and I learn't a lot from him.

Oh right !

Cheers Fluke

Pity he left. Guess he wouldn't recognise the site now if he came back.

It does seem to have deteriorated alot since then although I must admit, I don't know if it is the site that's changed or just my perception of it.

dd

aye, fond memories of Bonsai and his exits 'cos "it's just sitting there looking at me". Rarely made a bad call that man and endlessly patient and helpful. Hope he's doing well.

Be interested to know why you think the site has deteriorated, dick_dastardly, albeit that I can guess at a few of your reasons :) :)

cheers

jon

I gotta say it is cool seeing some of the "founding fathers" still posting useful contributions on the site... seeing member join dates back in 2001 and even 2000 when this site would still have been a fledgling BBS is humbling, and its also a real shame that so many of the usernames I see in the older threads dont seem to post very often, if at all, anymore.