Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

dc2000 said:
target 830

dont want it to go down just provide a decent entry if not I will just play the FTSE for Santa
It's gone through 10830 so are you long yet ?

Well, the target was hit 3 days late as the market formed an H&S top over 4 sessions which led into yesterdays/todays falls.......

But the current 'falling wedge' pattern gives the bulls some hope of restarting the Santa Rally imho pending an upside break, and RSI/CCI divergence are suggesting support…

Not much sign of serious buying today though, and a break south through prior 10740 support could clearly put a bearish damper on seasonal rally hopes… :confused:

Attachments

• 20-12-05.gif
    20-12-05.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 210
Rangebound or Rally?

tradesmart said:
Well, the target was hit 3 days late as the market formed an H&S top over 4 sessions which led into yesterdays/todays falls.......

But the current 'falling wedge' pattern gives the bulls some hope of restarting the Santa Rally imho pending an upside break, and RSI/CCI divergence are suggesting support…

Not much sign of serious buying today though, and a break south through prior 10740 support could clearly put a bearish damper on seasonal rally hopes… :confused:
NEW YORK (AFX) "Everyone has been lulled into thinking that since we haven't yet had a
Christmas rally, there won't be one," said Philip Dow, director of equity
strategy at RBC Dain Rauscher. "But there are a few days left this week, and I
still think there could be a surprise rally. What we need is a catalyst."
Early Wednesday stocks rallied despite news from the Commerce Department
that the gross domestic product increased at a 4.1% rate in the third quarter,
slightly lower than previous estimates of a 4.3% growth rate.
Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had expected growth of 4.3%.
Crude futures were higher, but well below the psychologically critical level
of $60 a barrel. The February contract last was up 23 cents at $58.32 an ounce.
Gold futures were under pressure, as the February contract fell $2.20 to
$494.80 an ounce.
The Treasury market was under pressure, sending yields higher, despite the
weaker GDP revision. The GDP report's core personal consumption deflator, which
is carefully monitored by the bond market, was boosted to 1.4% from 1.2%
annualized.

Some buying kicked in.. but is it a rally or just 750-900 range bound?

If you look at the last few days 10900 is seeing quite a bit of selling. It is almost a "buy the morning, sell the afternoon" type of week. I would be surprised if we get clear of 10900. I think we will be rangebound until New Year.

leovirgo said:
NEW YORK (AFX) "Everyone has been lulled into thinking that since we haven't yet had a
Christmas rally, there won't be one," said Philip Dow, director of equity
strategy at RBC Dain Rauscher. "But there are a few days left this week, and I
still think there could be a surprise rally.

Ten reasons to buy shares...

no 1... it's xmas...

nos 2 to 10 who cares about anything else..

Who said market participants were like sheep. Predictably, everyone starts selling at 1.00pm and it accelerates at 1.30pm. I really can't see the market giving up much more than half these gains.

I think with low volumes and the transport strike, the markets are looking at bit random at the moment.

macbonzo said:
Who said market participants were like sheep. Predictably, everyone starts selling at 1.00pm and it accelerates at 1.30pm. I really can't see the market giving up much more than half these gains.

I think with low volumes and the transport strike, the markets are looking at bit random at the moment.
Exactly, good for the shorts after a failed attempt to break out of 10900. Covered my short at 850+. Might be looking for a long entry. :rolleyes:

Yes, the sideways theory is shaping up quite nicely now......

What the Dow does when the way forwards is a bit foggy..?.....draw a triangle...!

In this case it's a 200pointer hinting at a 200 point target from the sharp end breakpoint which could be some days away yet.....

We're at the top of a big rise and the mood still appears bullish, so I would favour a break to the upside.......

Charlie Miller:-
The PPT is strangely silent, but then, they have about a month to create a meaningful "legacy rally" for Alan.

Maybe the PPT gave further notice of their intent today..... :cool:

Attachments

• 21-12-05.gif
    21-12-05.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 233
Any thoughts for the rest of day - it seems stuck in a tight range for the last 1/2hr although hopefully a bottom has been reached for the day.

midas said:
Any thoughts for the rest of day - it seems stuck in a tight range for the last 1/2hr although hopefully a bottom has been reached for the day.
Just a small program will do. Buy 8.30pm, Sell next day 6pm. Repeat the process and so on.. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I was kidding obviously. I think it will have a new style from tomorrow onwards. Let's see that.

leovirgo said:
I was kidding obviously. I think it will have a new style from tomorrow onwards. Let's see that.

Kidding or not, it has been a extremely effective strategy for 5 days. You could almost set your watch by the 6pm dip followed by the 6.30pm 30 point dump. Even with yesterday's internals being very bullish, 65 of the 95 points were erased.

You wonder the extent of programme trading.

Looks like santa favours 10760 before the reindeer rocket ship gets going

So to all on this thread and T2W

MERRY CHRISTMAS

dc2000 said:
Looks like santa favours 10760 before the reindeer rocket ship gets going

So to all on this thread and T2W

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Quiet so far today - Dow 20pts up at 10858 at 12.00pm.
Doesn't look likely to breach 10800 at the moment DC.

Happy Christmas everyone :p

What a year its been as far as this thread is concerned. I would like to thank all members that have viewed this thread and members that have participated in this thread. May I also take this opportunity to thank T2W for continuing to improve this website. I leave you with this message:

MeRRy Christmas and may all of you have a HaPPy NeW YeaR!

Happy Christmas.
LOVE the yukky pink crayon user - that's the real Christmas spirit at work <g>