Where do I start?

lister61

Hi all,

I'm after about the most general career advice possible really. I'm 25 and have spent/wasted the last five years in the betting industry, working as a football trader, primarily at Sportingbet, one of the biggest bookmakers in the world. For a variety of reasons, mainly to do with the direction the betting industry is heading in, I've decided to call it a day, and am now looking to start again.

My general long-term aim would be financial trading, but in the short term I need a salaried job that will allow me to learn an entirely new game. I'm entirely ready to start from the bottom - I just need to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I have no degree, and am considering putting myself through Securities and Regulations - would this be worth my while? And I have no sales experience, though it's certainly not something I'm scared of should it be suggested that Broking is my best idea.

Any useful advice for me?

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:
Why not apply to one of the spread betting companies to do a similar job to what you're doing now? That might be the easiest step. I say this as someone who has no experience working in the industry so I might be talking out of my ****.

The spread-betting idea is good, but you normally need 6 months experience but worth a go! Trainee Broking roles are regularly advertised on Totaljobs, Cityjobs where you would literally be cold-calling private investors and the investments won't be great quality, but you do build experience and can join a reputable co. at a later stage. However something like Forex Broking is quite good as a starting point as you build up some actual knowledge, instead of just completely blagging- best place is to try out NER as they do advertise loads of trainee positions- & you don't need to be graduate, A-levels are fine. I think quite alot of broking co.s would look at your application as Sportingbet is well known, and you have stayed in a co. for a good amount of time. HOPE THIS HELPS & GOOD LUCK!!