What's your risk : reward ratio?

vchohan1

Hello Again! :)

I wanted to get a general consensus of what people's risk to reward ratio ranges from and to before entering a trade. I am only looking at prior to taking a position.

I'd be keen to hear from all, but would really love to know from traders who trade equities.

Thanks all!

Vikash

Whilst the following may have the "Gurus" who regurgitate the mantra of say "your risk reward must be 1:3 to be successful" jumping out of their chairs, I will risk their wrath & say this....

I have no idea of my risk / reward before entering a trade.

Whilst I will have a stop (really for emergency purposes as most trades are exited/managed before its hit) & I have areas I think the market may move to, once the trade is entered the market is dynamic from the very next tick.

If there is a reason to get out - get out....If there isn't - stay in until there is a reason, whether that is 1 tick from entry or 100 points.

BBT

You can be successful on 1:2 although I find those are best mixed in with 1:3. You get far more 1:2 opportunities than you do 1:3 and this pattern continues as rewards get greater.

I usually aim for 1:2 or greater when initially taking the trade.
I enter on a 4Hr trend pulling back and resuming and take some profits around the swing high/low.

I'll take 1/2 the position off at 1/2 or the swing high/low of the last pullback and then hold the rest as long as I can. Some go to 1:10, others don't go any further and stop me out at 1:1. Really varies quite a lot but I follow the trend so risk reward depends on how good the trend is.

I aim for anywhere between 1:1 and 1:2, depending on the time of day and volatility etc.

Thanks all that's really helpful. I'm looking at a minimum of 1:2 with a view of doing something similar to Revorocks, selling 1/2 off at a target and aim to let the rest ride while managing the trade / stop loss.

1:1 - 1:2 ... usually thats how i put it, and stay flexible depending on the market read, but as much as possible avoid unnecessary risks.

I am noy use spesific risk reward ratio in my trades, but still always put stop loss to manage the risk and target will depending with analysis which usually only cut profit , maybe some trader they use risk reward ratio but also there are certain trader use hedging strategy

Nah ........if your going to make One be sure not to loose more than One.
We/I use this as a Mantra, keeping those "...why did I trade that...!!" trades out of the picture.
And we/I Scale out....<-----mucho important

:cool:

We/I use this as a Mantra, keeping those "...why did I trade that...!!" trades out of the picture.

theres that WE again;)

I am assume if loss also part in trading which sometime inevitable, because in fact I can define the tred exactly for ahead movement, and use stop loss make more comfortable for me